How would you wire your new roof?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Bucky
Vessel Make
Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm about to finally complete a new roof skinning, but before I close it all up, I need to remember to wire everything for "future" just-in-case added accessories. The only thing going back on the outer roof skin will be solar panels, so I gotta wire for that.

Then, there's the wiring for all the other stuff on the mast that will go from the mast, through the roof to the helm. That means wire for radar, lights, loud speaker, Sat TV, and anything else I want to put there later. I may as well do it now. Anything I'm forgetting? If it were your roof, how many extras would you put? I plan on PVC conduit.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Run conduit through the roof to areas where electrical maybe used in the future.Just a thought.May not be valid in your situation.

Run conduit through the roof to areas where electrical maybe used in the future.Just a thought.May not be valid in your situation.

Conduit if it makes even a little bit of sents IMO. Large enough to give the wires some room for additions and let you add remove.

Make the conduit big enough for additions, and leave a pull string in the conduit to use to pull in new lines for the future toys. And you may want more than one conduit to provide added future space without a 6" pipe running the length of the roof.

As far as what else you may want, sat tv, radar, weather station, and who know what new thing is coming out next year or two.

I would be difficult to run all the different kind and number of wiring you might need? So if you forget or do not have room you can hide the wire by routing out ½ rounds. When rewiring the Pilot house and salon. I routed out ½ rounds to hide the wires as I did not want to redo the ceiling. Actually the ceiling looks better than just all plain. For the wiring around the pilot house windows, ½ brass hollow hand rails is used to hide the wiring. A couple of places a ceiling light wiring failed, again used routed out ½ rounds.

I would consider all of the items already mentioned and put in conduits for 2X that many. That would guarantee that all future add-ons would be wi-fi and the conduits would sit there empty!:rolleyes:

dvd

Aft facing camera? I have dreams of one, Mahalo is totally blind whilst driving from the lower helm and big truck style rear view mirrors would make her feel fat in her mid section.

Good ideas. Since I'll have space on both sides of the hardtop, I think you're right. Just put in the conduit for twice as much, maybe leaving side empty with wire chases to pull new ones through. Things like the rear facing camera, air line, extra coax.....may as well do it.

Hmm. Good reminder. I'm also about to redo my headliner, adding insulation and lights. Adding several runs of conduit at the same time will be very easy and an excellent idea.
Thanks
Larry B

make a channel or easily removed headliner for future anything....

I used a 2 inch flag staff mount , bottom open , installed angled down under the PH roof forward.

All the wires I need will fit thru a 2 inch hole.And come from a PH switch panel.

The wiring goes up into a radar mount bolted into the overhang .The U in the wires lets water drip down, not IN.

Have no radar , so the mount is used for the various stuff needed ,running, anchor , owner absent, lights , horn, antennas .

The concept is IF the PH eyebrow rots from the bolts from the radar mount , it is easy to replace, and causes no internal leaks.

Removable panels to access wiring in the front 1/3 of the roof is part of the design, but the thing I dread most is drilling new holes in the virgin skin. The only thing that will be going back on the hardtop will be the solar panels on aluminum frames. I shouldn't have to worry with a proper application of todays sealant products and a decent crown in the center, but I'll be happy to have all the other stuff mounted on the mast. Using downward pointed loops in the wiring is a great idea.

A couple extra runs of Cat5

There will be more and more ethernet devices as time goes on. If not used for Ethernet then the 4 twisted pairs of wire are great for instrumentation signals.

Cable for the pan tilt zoom camera and for the 50 cal and rocket launcher.

SD

Cable for the pan tilt zoom camera and for the 50 cal and rocket launcher.SD

A 50 cal. seems a bit antiquated, and try to remember that I'm upgrading here. I'm still looking for the interface between the new model Garmin and the Phalanx Gatling Gun.

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 97
The problem with the Sea Whiz is that it blocks the forward view from the pilothouse. That's why we went with a 37mm retractable cannon on the foredeck to "discourage" those pesky boaters from California. Effective but with a much lower profile.

20 mm....till you have shot several thousand rounds of 20mm you just can't appreciate the weapon....

Back
Top Bottom