Albin 28 TE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davil1

Have a specific question.
Looking at an Albin 28 without an anchor windlass.
How accessible is the anchor locker? will need some working room to install it and concern about room to install the thru deck bolts.
Thanks

windlass

right
more likely
installed one on my Cape Dory couple years ago and the only issue is how much room is there inside the locked to tighten up the thru bolts, otherwise is a very simple job (as simple is to work in tight spaces)

I have no personal experience with them, but in a recent thread here someone said they are cored below the waterline. Check the hull carefully before you buy it just in case. Good luck.

1994 Albin 28 Tournament Express anchor chain storage

Hi
interested on this particular model,where does the anchor chain store?
On deck compartments? or goes down to a VBerth chain locker?
thank you very much

where does the anchor chain store?
thanks

Huge chain lockers on the Albin 28TE, also plenty of working room to run cables and install a windlass.

I am using a Rocna 15kg and 110' 1/4" High Test Chain, G4.
Nice combination for my use, but there is room for another 200-300' 1/2" nylon if needed.
(I cruise shallow waters in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas, never anchor in more than 10' of water)

Lewmar 700 Profish, but when it dies I may get the 1000, should be the same footprint and cables..

Last edited:
thank you so much, been unable to figure out the set-up
Just to make sure I understand
these chain lockers are accessed by way of the hatches ON DECK, both sides of the pulpit?

Huge chain lockers on the Albin 28TE, also plenty of working room to run cables and install a windlass.

I am using a Rocna 15kg and 110' 1/4" High Test Chain, G4.
Nice combination for my use, but there is room for another 200-300' 1/2" nylon if needed.
(I cruise shallow waters in the Florida Keys and the Bahamas, never anchor in more than 10' of water)

Lewmar 700 Profish, but when it dies I may get the 1000, should be the same footprint and cables..

That’s a lot of anchor for that boat. You will sleep well on that. I have the same but only 25’ chain. It has never failed to hold and I have had 110,000 lb of boats on it

Sorry I don’t have the same boat just the same anchor. I have a friend with that boat I can ask him.
FFEF0ED4-185D-4627-8C79-12258BAB85C2.jpg

that will be nice
thank you
my friend has an Albin 32+2 and the set-up is two hatches both sides of the pulpit for the storage.
again, thank you

Forgot to include a picture..:ermm:

Attachments

• C91C901E-F174-44A7-B679-29FE506223FE.jpg
    C91C901E-F174-44A7-B679-29FE506223FE.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi
interested on this particular model,where does the anchor chain store?
On deck compartments? or goes down to a VBerth chain locker?
thank you very much

Lots of storage in the chain locker, on my 2001 Albin 28TE.
Probably the same on your 1994, but not 100% sure..:eek:

I have a 2005 Albin 28 Tournament Express with GenSet and AC.

The chain locker has two hatches. One on either side of the windlass. We carry 300 foot of line with 20 feet of chain. Room for much more. We use the Mantus 25 lb anchor with weighted tip that sets within its own length.

I got out the original brochure for these boats and sure enough, they came with the two hatches to access the chain locker, but not necessarily a windless.

We have a F850A In Shore Windlass Package (Boats 24′ -33′) from https://www.goodwindlass.com/ They provide the anchor rode that is color marked (stained) for easy identification of length.

Albin built about 1,000 of the 28s. They have the Hunt all weather hull design patterned after the north sea patrol boats. They built the Albin in RI and marketed it as a "fishing machine for the cruising family." Stories online where these boats performed well in 24 foot seas. People, not so much. They can take the big wakes on the beam and barely notice it. They range in length from 26 ft. to 45 feet - all look the same.

Shouldn't be too hard to find one to pattern your install after. If you were in the Cape Coral Florida area, you can use ours to measure what you need.

You can see our boat (teal hull) on yachtworld.com

Hypnoob
thank you very much for this information, most helpful.
Believe have seen your "Teal Hull" on the web, not sure how.
The boat was interested eventually did not travel to see it, involved a 10 hours drive round trip and just have a feeling needed more work that I am willing/able to do.
This past 2018 marked my last project boat and must come to terms that cannot longer do it.
Even a smaller project like adding a windlass and an autopilot that not long ago will not even think twice is now a never-ending ordeal.

Albin built about 1,000 of the 28s. They have the Hunt all weather hull design patterned after the north sea patrol boats

Good stuff HypnoBob:

Got more info on the Hunt All Weather Hull...?

thank you HypnoBob
the story about the trip of Misstian was an eye-opener for any doubts I might had, with the due credit to the skipper and not to try to imitate if you do not have the same degree and depth of experience, from the time of his making his decision to run for cover to the moment of true when was able to avoid broaching as the wind changed and needed to turn the boat.
A true epic and memorable tale of survival with the right tool.
Makes me more convinced the Albin 28TE is the right choice to replace my trusted Cape Dory 30.
take care
David

PS
checking the other link

PM sent

Davil,

I just found the link on the Albin Owners site (free to join). It has several more links to stories and reviews. Great folks. Helped me a lot.

Albin News

Greetings,
To: Albin TE owners. I see, what seems to me to be, a sizable discrepancy in reported cruising and top speed numbers for the 28'+ Albin TE models. Most, on the market presently have the Yanmar 315HP engines and state cruising speeds of anywhere from 15 to 22 knots with single engines. Given these are the same hulls and power plants, why the difference? Props? Loading? False reporting?

The Albin TE series are on our short list for replacement of our 46' Cheoy Lee LRC and I'd really like to be able to cruise in the 18 to 20 knot range. Any comments, please? Thanks.

Greetings,
To: Albin TE owners. I see, what seems to me to be, a sizable discrepancy in reported cruising and top speed numbers for the 28'+ Albin TE models. Most, on the market presently have the Yanmar 315HP engines and state cruising speeds of anywhere from 15 to 22 knots with single engines. Given these are the same hulls and power plants, why the difference? Props? Loading? False reporting?

The Albin TE series are on our short list for replacement of our 46' Cheoy Lee LRC and I'd really like to be able to cruise in the 18 to 20 knot range. Any comments, please? Thanks.

Ok, I will bite: :socool:

The Yanmar 300 Hp and the 315 Hp are the same engines, for marketing purposes the 315 (6LPA-STP) was rated at a different intake temprature than the 6LP-STE.

Some of these boats are overpropped so they are "Faster" :nonono:

Max cruise RPM on the Yanmars are 3,600 RPM, with a finely tuned prop and half load I can cruise @ 17 knots all day.
Light load, 17.5, heavy load 16.5.
GPH around 12 At max cruise.

The Albin 28TEs came with a bunch of different motors: From 370 HP to 250, even less on the early ones.
The 370 HP diesels will cruise mid 20s and upper 20s for top speed.
The Yanmars are ok, but finicky with 4 valves, 5 heat exchangers and a belt to run the camshaft/valves.
I am both happy and content with my A-28TE, using it mostly for pleasure, but also running commercial charters.
Yanmar 6LP-STE.
Actually I love my boat, but they are high maintenance, like a trophy wife I guess :smitten:

Albin 28TE

LN-RTP

curious about your comment been high maintenance? as I am looking for an Albin28

"Actually I love my boat, but they are high maintenance, like a trophy wife I guess"

thanks

LN-RTP

curious about your comment been high maintenance? as I am looking for an Albin28

"Actually I love my boat, but they are high maintenance, like a trophy wife I guess"

thanks

High Maintenance, as in annual service on the Yanmar. ( If you follow the Factory maintenance schedule)
One of the A-28TE guys does commercial fishing in Barbados, he has 8000 hours on the Yanmar.

Good engines, but they need TLC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom