Help with single screw inboard.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
........... The main difference is that if we have to shut one down we keep going as opposed to coming home on the end of someone's very expensive rope.:)

I assume youre trying to say being towed by a commercial tow company?

I know it's not available everywhere, but I have a TowBoatUS membership for about $150 per year that allows me to be towed (and some other services) for no additional charge. In my mind, that's not at all expensive. SeaTow is another similar option for about the same cost.

Having two engines is no guarantee that you will not need to be towed someday. Fuel problems, electrical problems, and hitting an underwater obstruction can dissable both engines or drive trains.

Marin: The tow rope is cheaper than sitting out there, waiting for the winds tides and currents to carry you to the local garage for service.

Marin: The tow rope is cheaper than sitting out there, waiting for the winds tides and currents to carry you to the local garage for service.

I agree. But not having to sit out there at all is cheaper still.:)

Having two engines is no guarantee that you will not need to be towed someday. Fuel problems, electrical problems, and hitting an underwater obstruction can dissable both engines or drive trains.

True. But in our experience and observation, it's very rare.

Engine rooms/compartments are usually roomier with one rather than two propulsion engines. (Roomier without a genset too.) Many, nevertheless, like the redundancy of multiple engines.

I'd bet the majority of commercial boats and ships have only one propulsion engine.

Engine rooms/compartments are usually roomier with one rather than two propulsion engines. (Roomier without a genset too.) Many, nevertheless, like the redundancy of multiple engines.

I'd bet the majority of commercial boats and ships have only one propulsion engine.

I'm sure some commercial ships are single screw, but you can't compare them to our "toys" as they have engineers and a ton of spare parts on board.

But in the case of ships they have the ability on board to perform major repairs like changing a piston or even cylinder. And commercial passenger boats and ships--- like your beloved cruise ships--- all seem to have two or even four engines/propulsion systems. Tugs these days tend to have multiple engines and props. Not for redundancy, in this case, but so they can perform all manner of maneuvers. But, if one quit they could get home on the other one.

image-1944689082.jpg

My great grandfather ran whiskey from Fraserbrugh (north of Aberdeen) to Iceland in a 40' wooden double ender with a single, one cylinder diesel
like the ones shown below in Fraserbrugh Harbour. Thats me in the school uniform. I've logged 20,000hrs running single engine boats ... never saw a need for a second engine.

Attachments

• fraserbrugh.jpg
    fraserbrugh.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 87
And commercial passenger boats and ships--- like your beloved cruise ships--- all seem to have two or even four engines/propulsion systems.

The cruise ships I'm familiar with (2,000-3,000 passenger capacity) had five propulsion engines (with two propeller shafts/pods: ships were diesel/electrics). But they aren't our typical commercial vessel.

I've logged 20,000hrs running single engine boats ... never saw a need for a second engine.

I have no bias against single engine boats--- the GB we chartered before buying our own was a single and it was no problem to maneuver. I just like running engines. It's fun to be able to spin it around and walk it this way and that and basically put it anywhere you want by manipulating the shifters and throttles and rudders.

One can accomplish anything with a single that can be accomplished with a twin. The techniques are different in some cases but the end result will be the same. But I like operating machines of any kind so I simply find it a lot more fun to operate multiple engines instead of just one. After having a twin engine boat for the past 14 years I would not want a single anymore. Not as fun to operate. I'd have three engines if we could fit them in.:)

As to the redundancy thing, we've been glad to have the second engine four times since we bought the boat. Once (on the delivery trip) for a failing coolant pump seal, twice for raw water intake clogs, and once because I screwed up during a fuel transfer and let one engine get a big slug of air. In all four cases it was dirt simple to tie off the non-powered shaft and complete the journey on one. No fuss, no waiting around, no radio calls, no hoping the current didn't carry us onto a rock or reef before the towboat arrived. Just went on our merry albeit slightly slower way.

But mainly I like having multiple engines and transmissions to operate. From an operational standpoint I would find a single engine boat considerably less interesting and enjoyable.

But mainly I like having multiple engines and transmissions to operate. From an operational standpoint I would find a single engine boat considerably less interesting and enjoyable.

OK! In contrast, I'm of the keep it simpler, keep cost down, single-engine, single helm-position mindset.

Last edited:
Guys... Let's please not continue this old debate. What else could you guys POSSIBLY say to each other on the subject. It appears the OP hasn't been back since posting.

Pretty please?!?!?

Tom-

Thought we were continuing a pleasant conversation the OP started. The OP has plenty of opportunity to turn the discussion back toward his immediate issue if that's his wish.

I prefer a twin screw over a single but not over a single with a get-home and a bow thruster. I like the less vibration and noise that a single offers. So my preferred boat will have the redundancy and maneuverability of a twin screw in a single. It will not limp home as fast or as well as a twin screw, but i'm hoping to never be in that situation. Just like hoping never to use my epirb.

With all that said, if I were in the market for a used Krogen 58 or similar, I will buy the one that is the best value regardless if it's a single with a wing engine and thruster or a twin screw.

4year old or so year old Nordy mid 40 ft at my dock is for sale.

Back
Top Bottom