Old 10-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #14
slowgoesit
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I’m serious to the extent that this is the official source of information as hired by the mfg. to represent them on a boat costing $20k+. That’s not look the other way money. If the boat has problems, would I fully expect the mfg/dealer to live up to any statements I captured in writing? Absolutely. Do I think it likely to prevail in court for less cost than the litigation, probably not. Do I believe them when they say the powder coating is the more durable option? Clearly not, but I’ve got two out of three that say it won’t fail. The other one just happened to have bare in stock.

The fact is, lots of people will in fact believe that powder coating is more durable, because that’s exactly what they are being told and it’s what they want to believe. Better make sure you have a specific warranty in place if you believe it. Maybe it will, things improve all the time. But historically, keeping a finish on aluminum getting beaten up frequently has an extremely high failure rate no matter what the finish is.

Ahhhh, There lies the rub! I'm pretty sure that no manufacturer states IN WRITING that their powder coat finish won't bubble or lift . . .

I'm also in the camp, from personal experience, that once the powder coat begins to lift, the bonding of the hyperlon to the hull will fail, because it's just bonded to the powdercoat, not to the hull. It relies totally on how well the powder coat bonds to the bare aluminum . . . . and the answer to that question has already been answered . . . . "Not very well" is the answer.

So, to recap, if the manufacturer stated IN WRITING, that the powder coat would not fail, lift, or bubble, and they warranteed that statement for, say 20 years, than I would purchase a powdercoated hull.