The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobertLehky

Hello,
My name is Robert Lehky, just joined!
I am retired, (GM Engineer).
Live in southern Alabama now, used to live in Mich.
Do not own a trawler yet, but will soon be looking.
I am interested in the 36' Monk trawler, Marine Trader or Mainship.
Any info would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard . . . You definitely found the right forum for years of expertise and advise . . . You can search this forum and find existing conversations around each trawler manufacturer/type (Grand Banks, Monk, Marine Trader, DeFever, Mainship, etc.), engines and the likes . . . I would suggest you start out with a list of what it is that is important to you . . . size, ladders/steps, dual/single engines, thrusters/no thrusters, budget, and so on . . . Insurance is a factor as well, experience level on a vessel, novice to expert, many companies have exited marine coverage in the past few years and are a bit selective in their coverage . . . This will give you a starting point and the search begins . . . Much fun ahead . . .

Welcome. There are Trawler Forum members in your area, and hopefully one will link up with you for some actual time aboard a trawler.

Robert
Welcome aboard TF.
Boat Search 101 is a good place to start reading
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14905

Good luck with the search and subsequent adventures.
Best advice getting started is to think about and write down your anticipated cruising style, musts, wants and don't wants. Have mate do the same separately them compare, combine & compromise (just do it her way!?) Seriously listen to her inputs and resist simply overruling.
Make the search fun vs a chore... walk marinas, docks and talk to anyone with a boat even similar to what you are thinking about. Pose the above questions, how do they use it, like most, least, would change if doing it over? Make inspection trips mini vacations, do some sightseeing,, etc.
If there is an Americas Boating Club Chapter (AKA US Sail & Power Squadrons) near by join and take a boating course. Its a great way to expand your network of folks with similar interests.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.

Back
Top Bottom