Pilothouse Monitor Brightness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikehar

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gallivant
Vessel Make
Northern Marine 64
I'm getting ready to replace my monitors in the pilothouse. I'm torn between getting a 400nit display or the 1000nt display. I have a pretty well protected pilothouse so I think the 400nit display is probably good enough.

Thoughts?

I'm getting ready to replace my monitors in the pilothouse. I'm torn between getting a 400nit display or the 1000nt display. I have a pretty well protected pilothouse so I think the 400nit display is probably good enough.

Thoughts?

I’ve been quite happy with a 300 nit display, so I imagine a 400 nit would be fine.

Whenever I'm on a vessel with the 1000 I wish I had a couple. But our 400s work in all but the brightest days. BTW, the NM 64 is one of my all time favorites. I'm truly envious.

If you've got a laptop around, use it in the pilothouse under some different lighting conditions and see if you find the brightness sufficient. Then look up the screen brightness for the laptop you tested with and see where it falls relative to the monitors you're looking at.

I find that monitor brightness matters the most when you are heading into a low, bright sun. The problem isn't ambient light making it hard to see the monitor. The problem is when your view transitions between looking outside into a bright glaring sun, then you try to look at the monitor and can't see it because your eyes can't adjust fast enough. That's when 1000 nits is worth every penny.

You will have 2 levels of 'brightness'. One for day, one for night. No need to blind yourself at night.

While most displays have a sliding scale for illumination, if you run at night, make sure it gets dark enough. My all in one computer doesn't really.

Ted

I find that monitor brightness matters the most when you are heading into a low, bright sun. The problem isn't ambient light making it hard to see the monitor. The problem is when your view transitions between looking outside into a bright glaring sun, then you try to look at the monitor and can't see it because your eyes can't adjust fast enough. That's when 1000 nits is worth every penny.

^^ This. Lot of research on this for aircraft "glass cockpit" displays. Worst case scenario is looking into the sun. Irises are shut down and you are usually wearing dark glasses. 400 nits basically looks black.

I have one of the Big Bay 1000 nit displays after several lesser devices; would not go back. When you do brightness experiments, be sure to wear your sunglasses.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, I went for the 1000nit choice.

^^ This. Lot of research on this for aircraft "glass cockpit" displays. Worst case scenario is looking into the sun. Irises are shut down and you are usually wearing dark glasses. 400 nits basically looks black.

One can also get gradient grey sunglasses..... have them specially tinted with a really dark upper part and much less at the bottom where you view your screen. Use them in flying and boating and work excellent.

However, 1000 nits is almost enough.

Back
Top Bottom