Instrument panel switches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMK818

Vessel Name
Fleur de Lis
Vessel Make
1979 California Marshal 42
New here. I just purchased a 79 42LRC that has been remolded and has several pull switches that do not seem to do anything. One in particular says Fuel Pumps. The motors are Perkins 6.354 with an electrical stop solenoids. There is a shut off button for each engine that when pushed activates the solenoids and shuts off the motor. What is the use of the Fuel Shut off pull switch? It is an electrical type switch and not a mechanical linked switch. Also there are a couple on the fly bridge as well that do not seem to do anything (one does activate the anchor light, and the other the instrument lights only) there are still two others that do nothing or are labeled.

Thanks in advance

RMK818

Welcome aboard. You will probably have to trace the wires and see where they go. Could be a PO added them so the function could be questionable.

Certainly not unusual to have new systems installed in a 40yo vessel but still have the old ones there because they were a PITA to remove.

Time to get out the 'multi-meter' search for voltage at the switch.
With the engine running and you shut the switch off, does the engine continue to run?
If the engine continues to run, maybe time to get out the 'fox and hound'?

Fuel cutoff switches that don't go to the injector pumps as stop buttons could be for fuel lift pumps or fuel line feeds that have solenoids versus valves at the tanks if there is no anti siphon devices installed.

My LRC has silver pull knobs to operate the wipers. Could some of your switches be for the same? Especially if the wiper motors are Inop - the switches would appear to do nothing.

Have you tried pulling the switches while someone listens in the engine room to see if they hear anything or if anything happens/changes?

Any chance you can ask the PO?

Thanks for the information. We are the third owner and the other two have since parted. I have traced the wires, but they end up in a wire bundle mess. I have pulled the lever and hear or see nothing occurring. I believe it may be from a disabled autopilot.

New here. I just purchased a 79 42LRC that has been remolded and has several pull switches that do not seem to do anything. One in particular says Fuel Pumps. The motors are Perkins 6.354 with an electrical stop solenoids. There is a shut off button for each engine that when pushed activates the solenoids and shuts off the motor. What is the use of the Fuel Shut off pull switch? It is an electrical type switch and not a mechanical linked switch. Also there are a couple on the fly bridge as well that do not seem to do anything (one does activate the anchor light, and the other the instrument lights only) there are still two others that do nothing or are labeled.

Thanks in advance

RMK818

Some 6.354's have had electric fuel pumps added to make the idling smoother and also aid in bleeding the system after replacing a secondary fuel filter or opening up the system for any reason. Tracing the wirings will provide your answer but may be tough on any old boat. Tracing the fuel supply lines will answer whether electric fuel pumps have been added in line.

Switches for broken or obsolete gear get abandoned all the time on old boats and people also tap into other 12V sources anywhere convenient to test out a new piece of gear and never get around to installing it correctly. Frustrating but it gives us something to commiserate over when not coveting the shiny new boats of others.

Attachments

• Wire tracker.JPG
    Wire tracker.JPG
    17.1 KB · Views: 162
The referenced 'wire tracer' is called a 'fox and hound'.

Note to Nick F: One does not need to buy the most expensive tool. But, if you dont buy a known quality tool, you may end up buying the tool 2 or 3 times
TEASE

The posted URL does not work for me

Whoops - I dont seem to be able to post the link in such a way that it works.

Go to Amazon and look for wire tracker and then select this:

wire tracker rj11 rj45 cable toner line finder

Last edited:
Update: I have been tracing the wires and switches and they were for equipment no longer there: 2 electronic fuel pumps, fuel transfer pump, a removed water pump system, removed Radar system, and Autopilot system.

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

Update: I have been tracing the wires and switches and they were for equipment no longer there: 2 electronic fuel pumps, fuel transfer pump, a removed water pump system, removed Radar system, and Autopilot system.

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

Yessir, I have switches labeled for equipment that is no longer aboard.

Old panels and switches

On my 1981 Marine Trader I had a panel with some old Perko on/off push button fuse switches. I bit the bullet and replaced the panel and rewire everything to a new BlueSeas Panel with conventional rocker switches. It was a big job put it added 6 new fuses that I could add six new circuits to and taught me a lot about my boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom