Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congratulations!

That
Looks
GREAT

Reports on your experience with it will be read with great interest.

The graphics were done by Margaux of Margaux Marine Graphics. We asked Scott for suggestions and he gave us two names, typical Scott he did not push one over the other. We contacted Margaux and were impressed from the start. She did a great job working with us, remotely, to design the graphics and even showing us mock-ups on photos of a 38 hull. We are very impressed with Margaux and in my opinion her price is very reasonable. I have no hesitation in recommending Margaux if you wish graphics done in Seattle.

Great looking boat! Two questions for you. What size chartplotter is that on the helm? And, where did you find the registration tag you have hanging off of the railing?

The chart plotter is 16 inches, told the largest you can fit on the console, and the registration is a dealers registration. We do not have the boat yet - it has to be delivered to us in Sidney BC and that is dependent on the weather

You must be getting so excited. We’re still about 6-7 months out. Congratulations!

The chart plotter is 16 inches, told the largest you can fit on the console, and the registration is a dealers registration. We do not have the boat yet - it has to be delivered to us in Sidney BC and that is dependent on the weather

Thank you. I like the way you laid out the helm. Looks really good.

Is today the day for your boat?

Water Music has made it home to Van Isle marina in Sidney. She arrived just before noon but it took about an hour and a half to clear Canadian Customs. She is now safely tucked into her berth and we have had our first lunch on board. Though it was a grey, wet day on the island it was a bright day for us. Now for me to get to know and understand all the systems. Spent the afternoon crawling around inside. Great news - the diesel heater works.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0379.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0383.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0385.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 26
That’s great. You must be absolutely thrilled. She looks beautiful!

Welcome to the ‘hood. We are just around the corner from you with our Helmsman 38E hull #42. Learning systems as well as we took possession on October 1.

Welcome to the ‘hood. We are just around the corner from you with our Helmsman 38E hull #42. Learning systems as well as we took possession on October 1.

Hi there! If you don’t mind the ask, what led you to building the Helmsman and how was the first month of ownership?

We are the second owners, first one decided to order a 43 after realizing that they could use a second stateroom. We met them when they took delivery of it and had done a lot of research on the 38. Came close to ordering a new one but the first mate was hung up on the lack of potential speed. I showed her how an 8 knot lifestyle was possible by running our previous boat at 8 knots over the last year. Takes a bit more planning in terms of wind, current and weather window forecasts. Very happy so far, will continue running throughout the winter and looking forward to our annual April cruise to the Broughtons.

We are the second owners, first one decided to order a 43 after realizing that they could use a second stateroom. We met them when they took delivery of it and had done a lot of research on the 38. Came close to ordering a new one but the first mate was hung up on the lack of potential speed. I showed her how an 8 knot lifestyle was possible by running our previous boat at 8 knots over the last year. Takes a bit more planning in terms of wind, current and weather window forecasts. Very happy so far, will continue running throughout the winter and looking forward to our annual April cruise to the Broughtons.

Thanks!

The second state room was one of my wife’s hang ups. After we looked at the 38E, and thought about who actually travels with us (close family) we figured that the second stateroom wasn’t that big of a deal. We like the idea of being able to “close off” half the salon area with the convertible salon sofa and the day head being available to guests.

We also went with the convertible pilot house sofa for grandkids.

When it is just me out with my friends, there will be plenty of places to sleep.

Speed was the other issue for her. She was used to a two engine planing cruiser. I pointed out to her that we hardly ever went faster than 12 mph in that boat and typically cruised at 9mph. She got over it pretty quickly when we first boarded a 38E to look at the interior. :)

Glad it worked out for you to get the boat!

Water Music has made it home to Van Isle marina in Sidney. She arrived just before noon but it took about an hour and a half to clear Canadian Customs. She is now safely tucked into her berth and we have had our first lunch on board. Though it was a grey, wet day on the island it was a bright day for us. Now for me to get to know and understand all the systems. Spent the afternoon crawling around inside. Great news - the diesel heater works.

Congratulations!!! We are so excited for you. She really looks beautiful. Once our boat arrives we'll come for a visit to Sydney. Be sure to take some pictures once you've got it all decked out.

Your post was very timely. Scott notified us today that our build (Hull No. 50), to be christened “Alba Bella”, has begun. We decided on a Helmsman 38E for most of the features you mentioned. We’re hoping for a late spring 2022 delivery. Just seeing a photo of the empty mold is exciting.

Our Shelter Bay Yacht Club did a cruise that included two days in Port Ludlow in 2019. We really enjoyed your hospitality. I hope we’ll be returning again soon.

Congratulations on being in the mold. That is very exciting. Can't wait until it's our turn. We're next #51.

Yes, Scott and Van let us know that our boat is out of the mold. So exciting times!

Congratulations for moving up to the next step. Do you know what and when in the next milestone?

Congratulations for moving up to the next step. Do you know what and when in the next milestone?

I guess the milestones would be how one chooses to define them. When the topside gets attached to the hull, to me that might be the next big step. Of course, prior to that most of the systems and a lot of the interior work will be completed, so that might be some time before the top side is attached. I am looking forward to the engine and Generator installation.

Once you hear the boat is started, you will receive updates about every week or so. Enjoyable process.

Our first milestone was the completion of the gelcoat last Sunday. That is the very first step in the build process. Knowing that our boat had start was huge.

Took delivery two days ago and spending first night aboard. Pictures are from rear cockpit as we enjoyed some bubbly. Forecast low for tonight of 7c but so far diesel heater is keeping us nice and cozy. Great to be back on the water.

Attachments

• B4059999-4C17-4C5F-8FBC-06FC10B29E28.jpg
    B4059999-4C17-4C5F-8FBC-06FC10B29E28.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 28
  • D1365B5D-688B-4FC8-BCF7-D601596844DB.jpg
    D1365B5D-688B-4FC8-BCF7-D601596844DB.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 22
  • C7AC233B-253C-479D-AB68-1A7A2B11DE74.jpg
    C7AC233B-253C-479D-AB68-1A7A2B11DE74.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 25
Ceramic Coating

Anyone planning to go with a ceramic coating on their boat?

I have been reading about using ceramic, and since the boat does not come waxed, it would seem to be the best time to go with ceramic if we plan to try it. I am looking at Rejex and Permanon.

Reading about the application process, it seems that it might not be that much work to apply the first coat.

Open to any advice or thoughts anyone has.

I have been reading about using ceramic, and since the boat does not come waxed, it would seem to be the best time to go with ceramic if we plan to try it. I am looking at Rejex and Permanon.
Reading about the application process, it seems that it might not be that much work to apply the first coat.
Open to any advice or thoughts anyone has.[

I have heard pros and cons of ceramic coating. Was considering having it done in my last boat but timing just didn’t work out so we went old school with wax. It seems to me that longevity of ceramic coating does not qualify its expense, in my opinion.

Open to any advice or thoughts anyone has.

Not currently planning to.

I have had my eye on it for a while. I like the concept. But it seems to be so very dependent on prep and application by a good technician, and so dependent on the specific product that it waves me away from it. Reviews on any specific products all seem to be cheerleader reviews. But from owners I see rave reports and reports with regret.

And I cannot get a good bead on what comes next. It doesn't last forever, so what's involved in a few years? Worse, I worry about what's involved in removal if it just doesn't look as good as advertised.

So count me as being curious but cautious.

I think I am going to try it. With permanon, using distilled water and the concentrate, it looks like it is fairly easy to apply. Spray on, then rub right off with a microfiber towel. Applications last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, and it is easy to re-apply. May end up cheaper than paying someone else to apply wax twice a year.

I think I am going to try it. With permanon, using distilled water and the concentrate, it looks like it is fairly easy to apply. Spray on, then rub right off with a microfiber towel. Applications last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years, and it is easy to re-apply. May end up cheaper than paying someone else to apply wax twice a year.

You have my attention!

Not currently planning to.

I have had my eye on it for a while. I like the concept. But it seems to be so very dependent on prep and application by a good technician, and so dependent on the specific product that it waves me away from it. Reviews on any specific products all seem to be cheerleader reviews. But from owners I see rave reports and reports with regret.

And I cannot get a good bead on what comes next. It doesn't last forever, so what's involved in a few years? Worse, I worry about what's involved in removal if it just doesn't look as good as advertised.

So count me as being curious but cautious.

The art and cost is in getting the gel coat perfect prior to application. A lot of the reviews come from that prep not being done correctly. If you don’t get the wax completely removed, as it degrades the silica on top of it comes off.

Since the boat has no wax, just getting it washed with the right cleaning solution will be all that is necessary to get started.

It comes off via abraiding over time but there are solutions that will help it release

The art and cost is in getting the gel coat perfect prior to application. A lot of the reviews come from that prep not being done correctly. If you don’t get the wax completely removed, as it degrades the silica on top of it comes off.

Since the boat has no wax, just getting it washed with the right cleaning solution will be all that is necessary to get started.

It comes off via abraiding over time but there are solutions that will help it release

I’m curious how compatible these products are with applied graphics. Margaux has come up with a great design for us and I’d hate to mess it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom