Considering a North Pacific 45

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SANAUH

Vessel Name
Serengeti
Vessel Make
NPY 450
Seems to be a lot of happy NP45 owners on this site. Looking for input form those with first hand experience owning one of these nice looking yachts. My wife and I are considering a NP45 for our retirement. Plan would be to do a couple of laps around the Great Loop, maybe a little bit of time in the Bahamas, and then settle down in the PNW. We are now talking with Trevor and looking at maybe purchasing 4521 or 4522. Delivery would be spring of ‘23 to coincide with our return to the US (currently working in Abu Dhabi). Apparently NPY has sold quite a few 45’s of late!

Interested to here other owners experience with buying and owning a NP45. What advice do you for someone just starting the process of buying a new NP yacht. What what have you learned that you wish you knew up front? Which options are must haves and which did you really not need? Open to any and all suggestions. For example, as we will be using the boat in warmer climates for the first few years, AC is a must have. So, is a reverse cycle AC unit enough, or do we also want a more efficient heater option for when we are cruising FT in the PNW? What engine size did you go with and why? Dingy on top or off the stern? Do you have/need stabilizers and if so what kind (wife was always queasy first few days out on our Lagoon 450 catamaran)? Standard AGM battery package or did you upgrade to solar and lithium? Again, any advice is welcome.

Howdy, I have a 2019 NP 45. Love it. Comes with everything, premium quality and furnishings. Message me and I’ll give you my number if you want further details.

I would love to see a NP explosion here like the Helmsman one as we have many owners and all seem to be quite happy.

We are very happy NP43 owners. Trevor is a joy to deal with, always, pre and post sale he NEVER leaves you hanging. The boats are well built and well thought out with great accessibility to everything - wiring, plumbing etc.

If you like the boats, you can’t go wrong. We would love an NP49 Euro.

Hello Sanauh,

We are the happy owners of NP 4514. Delivery was June of 2020. As you are finding Trevor is a man of utmost integrity and very accommodating. Our layout is an L shaped dinette. Space for two easy chairs opposite the dinette with a cabinet between the chairs. We also had an HDMI cable run from the cabinet to the TV to make connecting devices easy. The guest cabin is set up as a "study" but will still sleep two in a double and one more in a transverse bunk. We opted for the single head as we usually cruise as a couple and wanted the space in the master. The second head takes space from the guest and master.

No stabilization but I did have the mounts and wiring done for a Seakeeper. Also had prep done for a water maker. Reverse cycle is fine for us in New England but you may want a better system in the Northwest. I did opt for a bus heater so late or early season trips would be more comfortable. This was for the pilothouse.

We back into our slip with no fingers so the crane is perfect for us. Dinghy is an AB 10 AL Lamina, 10' 6" long. About the biggest dinghy for the flybridge.

Please feel free to PM me for more details. Working with Trevor was a very positive experience. This is our second North Pacific.

Rob

Wifey B: Love to see the praise for the good guys in the industry. YAY. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Trevor answers his phone 7 days a week and remembers every boat.That is one of the main reasons for purchasing. We did look at other boats. Both Nordic and American tug are 45 minutes from us but i still liked the feel i got with Trevor. We have diesel heat and it works well for quick heat ups in the PNW. We are going into the shipyard on the first to add keypower stabilizers. The boat does fine without them and nobody has ever gotten sick but i want to stretch our adventurers out next year and running with beam seas for a few hours could get old. Our dingy is on top. I dont want anything blocking the swimstep since thats crabing,shrimping and fishing space.

Great boat. Are you going to sell the vessel prior to going to PNW ? If your plan is to use it there what is plan to get it there?

I don't own one, but have been aboard an older model.

Nice boat. Appealing layout inside.

It is a tall boat. One of your use requirements is to do the loop. There is an air draft maximum for the loop. The NP website doesn't show the air draft but I would investigate what it is, and whether / how the hard top can be lowered to make it useable for the loop.

We would keep the boat and most likely have it shipped from east coast to west coast. Moving it ourself is an option we may consider, but not something the wife is interested in right now. As for the delivery captain option, not worth wear and tear plus operating cost when compared to having it shipped.

Minimum bridge clearance is 19’ 6” (at Chicago). There are other limits, but everything else can be bypassed. Top of the fixed FRP bimini over the flybridge is just over 17’. May require removal of antennas/instrumentation for that one bridge. I do know of other NPY yachts which have made the loop, including a 49 (which is “taller”). I did consider a hinged arch with canvas bimini, but a solid bimini feels like a better long term decision.

We would keep the boat and most likely have it shipped from east coast to west coast. Moving it ourself is an option we may consider, but not something the wife is interested in right now. As for the delivery captain option, not worth wear and tear plus operating cost when compared to having it shipped.

I really like folks thinking realistically about Yacht Transport.

The last time I checked Seven sear wanted in the neighborhood of 25-30K to go between Ensenada and Florida.

This is something I might consider depending on if I get bored cruising the pacific side.

I really like folks thinking realistically about Yacht Transport.

The last time I checked Seven sear wanted in the neighborhood of 25-30K to go between Ensenada and Florida.

This is something I might consider depending on if I get bored cruising the pacific side.

Wifey B: Our preference is always to transport ourselves on the water. However, if one can't or doesn't choose to do that, yacht transport is a very good option. Not cheap, but then neither is having a crew transport it when you consider all costs plus wear and tear. Right now we have a boat on DYT Yacht Transport on it's way home from Italy but it just isn't an ocean crossing designed boat. :)

Wifey B: Our preference is always to transport ourselves on the water. However, if one can't or doesn't choose to do that, yacht transport is a very good option. Not cheap, but then neither is having a crew transport it when you consider all costs plus wear and tear. Right now we have a boat on DYT Yacht Transport on it's way home from Italy but it just isn't an ocean crossing designed boat. :)

Many or most of the recreational boats here on TF could make the passage safely through the Panama Canal from a fuel standpoint.

The problem then becomes ones weighing of the risks of passage through some of the less stable countries in Central America.

It takes a boat that is offshore capable, meaning that it is safe to travel outside the standard 72 hour accurate forecast window to bypass countries where safety is a risk that a cruiser is unwilling to accept.

That is where for many, Yacht Transport makes for a viable alternative.

Crossing oceans is another issue as you mentioned altogether. One might for example want to cruise a distant area or continent but their boat just does not have the capability to get there.

Minimum bridge clearance is 19’ 6” (at Chicago). There are other limits, but everything else can be bypassed. Top of the fixed FRP bimini over the flybridge is just over 17’. May require removal of antennas/instrumentation for that one bridge. I do know of other NPY yachts which have made the loop, including a 49 (which is “taller”). I did consider a hinged arch with canvas bimini, but a solid bimini feels like a better long term decision.

Great. You have done the research. A hard top is nice

Just FYI for you or others here is a link I saved discussing needs.

There are other tight spots. Just knowing others exist might be important in understand what routes become off limits.

https://www.passagemaker.com/lifestyle/the-perfect-loop-boat

Many or most of the recreational boats here on TF could make the passage safely through the Panama Canal from a fuel standpoint.

The problem then becomes ones weighing of the risks of passage through some of the less stable countries in Central America.

It takes a boat that is offshore capable, meaning that it is safe to travel outside the standard 72 hour accurate forecast window to bypass countries where safety is a risk that a cruiser is unwilling to accept.

That is where for many, Yacht Transport makes for a viable alternative.

Crossing oceans is another issue as you mentioned altogether. One might for example want to cruise a distant area or continent but their boat just does not have the capability to get there.

We brought a boar from Washington, home to Fort Lauderdale, via water. Not many areas of concern. The countries you go through doing that trip may some issues with violence in areas on land but are not key areas of piracy and sea activity. That becomes more of an issue further south and specifically, near Venezuela.

We are the very satisfied owners of 4516. All the comments about Trevor are true. The fit and finish all high end. We were able to customize a bit as well such as offset of the cockpit door to allow more sitting area for the L settee and gallery cabinets.

This is our 1st boat - easy to handle, etc for a true newbie like us. Lots of support. Variable speed thrusters are a key. No Seakeeper but where we have gone, not yet needed.

We are not a live aboard but could see extended time on the 45. If affordable, the new 49 Euro might be excellent although not sure if one can do the Great Loop due to height restrictions.

Welcome!

We take possession of 45017 next week and must echo previous comments about Trevor... He is a world class professional with the highest level of integrity!
I'm a ABYC certified marine tech who know's what "right" is and can say that NP does it "right"! I'm totally impressed with the quality of the NP's workmanship... They build to ABYC standards, use top quality equipment and do a great job providing easy access to the various onboard systems... Can't wait to get aboard 45017 next week!!!

We take possession of 45017 next week and must echo previous comments about Trevor... He is a world class professional with the highest level of integrity! .. Can't wait to get aboard 45017 next week!!!

Jim,

Glad you got your boat! Hope to see you on the water next summer.

Rob

Seems to be a lot of happy NP45 owners on this site. Looking for input form those with first hand experience owning one of these nice looking yachts. My wife and I are considering a NP45 for our retirement. Plan would be to do a couple of laps around the Great Loop, maybe a little bit of time in the Bahamas, and then settle down in the PNW. We are now talking with Trevor and looking at maybe purchasing 4521 or 4522. Delivery would be spring of ‘23 to coincide with our return to the US (currently working in Abu Dhabi). Apparently NPY has sold quite a few 45’s of late!

Interested to here other owners experience with buying and owning a NP45. What advice do you for someone just starting the process of buying a new NP yacht. What what have you learned that you wish you knew up front? Which options are must haves and which did you really not need? Open to any and all suggestions. For example, as we will be using the boat in warmer climates for the first few years, AC is a must have. So, is a reverse cycle AC unit enough, or do we also want a more efficient heater option for when we are cruising FT in the PNW? What engine size did you go with and why? Dingy on top or off the stern? Do you have/need stabilizers and if so what kind (wife was always queasy first few days out on our Lagoon 450 catamaran)? Standard AGM battery package or did you upgrade to solar and lithium? Again, any advice is welcome.

Currently building a 43E Helmsman for use on Chesapeake Bay and South Florida so A/C is a must. Our boat has 3 A/C units. One for the salon, one for the master stateroom and one for the pilot house. About 45,000 BTU’s total. Power draw will be about 30 amps. We get numerous 90-100 degree days on the Chesapeake with high humidity. Check to see if your A/C units are on separate breaker or part of your overall amperage.

Our engine choice was the Cummins 550. Wanted the max size we could fit to get max speed if needed or wanted. It doesn’t compromise fuel economy that much. So it seemed like cost, fuel economy and speed were the considerations.

np sales were number for 4 for 2020 1-fleming 2-swift trawler 3-grand banks-4np-5 outer reef 6-nordhaven 7marlo explorer.
Interesting

np sales were number for 4 for 2020 1-fleming 2-swift trawler 3-grand banks-4np-5 outer reef 6-nordhaven 7marlo explorer.
Interesting

Interesting. Source of information?

Interesting

what does this mean? Not the number of boats sold during that year but ...?

i cant validate nor do i really care who sells the most or least boats. Just interesting reading.

Attachments

• np sales.jpg
    np sales.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 36
Not a NP45 owner but….

I bought a used NP 43 through Trevor about 5 years ago.

Everything that folks say about Trevor are true. I trust him completely.

NP boats are well designed and well built. My NP 43 is a 2010 boat. I’ve been on a number of NP 42s and 43s, and have been on a NP 45. One of the things that I’ve noticed are steady design improvements over the years as Trevor has taken ideas and suggestions from his owner base.

If I was to buy a new boat in the mid 40’ size range, it would be the NP 45. Any design is a series of compromises. think the NP45 is the best design for my purposes of any boat in its size range at any price.

As you can tell, I’m a huge fan. If the NP45 fits your needs and plans, I don’t think you could any better.

As an owner of a NP45, I’d also say the boat comes with everything you need; AC, generator, full electronics, awesome lighting, and the list goes on.

Six years ago when we did the NP45 video review, I was summarily impressed by both the boat and Trevor. Considering the boat we used in the video was hull number one (which I loved), I've since been on subsequent builds and he keeps improving things, typically based on owner feedback. In the price range, I don't think you can go wrong if you choose to have a new NP45 built.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom