What's better than Sikaflex

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

I use Sikaflex 295 UV for general caulking and have been very satisfied, but last order the tube came and looked like someone beat it with a hammer... wouldn't even fit in the caulk gun... so I returned it. They sent another on....same thing, sending it back.

About to give up. What's a good substitute?

I think it may be your supplier. I just got 4 tubes of Sika 291 and they are in perfect condition. Try a different supplier maybe.

I think it may be your supplier. I just got 4 tubes of Sika 291 and they are in perfect condition. Try a different supplier maybe.
Indeed, the state of the tube is more an issue with the supplier than the product. Also check date at the bottom of the tube, these have a shelf life.

L

I'd agree you have a supplier issue not a sealant issue. If you are looking for an alternative, I use a lot of the 3M 4000UV, though it is a polyether not a polyurethane, the results are about the same.

I used to use all 3M sealants but after I tried Sika products I found that I like them much better. They seem to last longer.

Sika pro in the sausages.
Same same but no pictures of boats and a lot less coin.

I’ve had good success with Permatex Ultra Black. I gather that it comes in other colours besides black, and therefore different name versions...
I was turned on to it after a friend used it to patch a pretty major hole in his aluminum skiff with it, which (the patch) is still going strong after several years.

Can someone suggest a supplier with "reasonable" shipping? Several have the shipping more than the product.

SeeVee,
I buy my Sikaflex at the local marine chandler. Locally a "non-marine" specific store called Industrial Plastics carries it as well. (I have not looked, but I bet there are other stores as well). In that way, I can personally examine the tube for date, defects, etc. If you need (for some reason) to shop online, maybe Amazon (I have not checked availability) using their "Prime" shipping??

Sika pro in the sausages.
Same same but no pictures of boats and a lot less coin.

How well does Sika Pro+ store once resealed?

I have no idea why but I have had much better results from "marine" products for small jobs where 80% of the tube remains. A couple of wraps of electrical tape over the tip and it stores for months. Many others go hard within days.

This is my go-to for small jobs:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-410g-white-marine-flex-sealant_p1230183

Loctite PL window and door polyurethane for white, or Loctite PL roof and flashing for black is cheaper and Lowes and H Depot have it for under $7 per tube, till hyperinflation kicks in.

These have durometer shore hardness ratings of about 25 to 30, while Sika 291 is 40, so the rubber is a little softer.

to preserve these tubes, I tape the end and put then in the freezer. They last possibly years, certainly many months. They are moisture cured, and a freezer is cold and very dry air.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite...e-Roof-and-Flashing-Sealant-1675273/203163733

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite...dow-Door-and-Siding-Sealant-1675293/203163736

3M5200 has shore hardness of 60 for comparison. The Loctite sealed thing can be removed without damaging anything.

I have used a lot of the Black Loctite underwater for sealing and it has not failed after many years of being underwater even though Loctite says not to do it. It is not marketed to boat usage. The Black PL also seems to me to setup firmer than the white. I know Black PL is very durable even against abrasion. It can also be sanded smooth. And you can mix fibers into it to allow it to harden quickly in thick layers. I have added sawdust, or FG milled fibers. also have used it with FG cloth, sealed thru hulls etc.. And it is easily painted.

Last edited:
For sealing deck fittings and windows Butyl tape wins hands down. Easy and clean to use, simple and straightforward to remove excess.

Under water Sikaflex, 3M or similar are tops.

I jam a big screw in the nozzle end and it lasts ok, you usually end up pulling a nozzle sized lump out with the screw but all good after that.
Get a year or more out of it sitting on a shelf in gun.

The sausages are quite a bit larger than the tubes.

I've used the Locktite product above water with good results. Haven't had the guts to try it below though. I usually use 3M 4200 for that. 5200 only if absolutely, positively sure you will never want to remove the item. Even if you sell the boat, the new owner will hunt you down. AKA "Devil's Glue".

I have no idea why but I have had much better results from "marine" products for small jobs where 80% of the tube remains. A couple of wraps of electrical tape over the tip and it stores for months. Many others go hard within days.

This is my go-to for small jobs:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-410g-white-marine-flex-sealant_p1230183

Tube based sealants last for ages in the freezer once opened, just “defrost” before using.
Liquid glues like Loctite products last for years instead of months in the fridge once opened.

Nothing ..
Unless you need the ultimate in adhesion.

Tube based sealants last for ages in the freezer once opened, just “defrost” before using.
Liquid glues like Loctite products last for years instead of months in the fridge once opened.

Thanks. I didn't know this.

I guess calling it icing will allow it to slide past the admiral. ???

Thanks. I didn't know this.

I guess calling it icing will allow it to slide past the admiral. ������

Yes, you do need an understanding admiral, but then again you probably have, seeing as you are a boat owner :)

The little glues will sit nicely in the egg holders in the fridge door and not tip over, sika tubes will stow fine in the freezer disguised under some ice bricks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom