Hello from Norfolk, VA (ex Lorain, OH)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Vessel Make
1992 Acadia 25
Been boating since age 10 or so, the first 5 years on Lake Erie. We kept the boat in Sandusky, OH and toured the islands extensively. Going to Pelee was always fun as waas Put-in-Bay. Much to my displeasure, the family migrated to the Norfolk, VA area. We had a few boats on Lake Erie. When we got here, my dad would sell the 42' and buy a 40' American Trawler which they eventually sold to buy a Carver 46. I bought an Acadia 25, a diesel powered, semi displacement "down easter" replica. Had that a for a few years, loved it. Fast forward to today, I'm my engineering position and am thinking of another boat. I saw my first Grand Banks in the late 1960's. The dealer had a 32 and I believe, a 42. At any rate, dad wanted a 36 and those had not been delivered as yet. There was one coming in a good deal later with twin Buddha diesels (as I recall) but he didn't wait, bought a 42' Chris Craft instead.

We wound up bringing the 42' from Sandusky, OH, across the lakes and down the Erie Canal. (A few locks are neat but ALL the locks, not so much). We had pretty good weather for the 10 day trip but a couple snotty days and we were in the inland waterway.

Time passed, I married and even more time passed. 19 years ago, I joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary; 90% of my time was augmenting active duty forces and did 15 years at then CAMSLANT, the Headquarters Communications Command in Chesapeake, VA assisting and sometimes standing in for, the EO. Am Electrical Engineer with a background in RF so, I was a good fit in the CG's Long Distance Communications program. I did also work my way up to and stand for Coxswain. Would later buy an Acadia 25, an outstanding craft for USCG AUX work! It's 180 HP single Yanmar diesel would take it to about 21 kts but it would cruise at 12 kts all day on 10 gal of diesel. Having a trawler heritage, the Acadia would take tough water without complaint. There were many times the bow was buried in green water. Thunder storms would pop up and come down the James River and some of them were quite violent.

2008 rolled in and I sold the Acadia. Really miss it and am also thinking of going the live on route in case the wrong guy gets elected governor of VA in November. We'll just vote with our hull!

Welcome aboard. We retired from the Auxiliary after 30 years.

We were in 11SR for most of it and I was DCO in 2001/2002. Then we moved back to Michigan 9CR where we retired.

Welcome aboard. Hope to see you getting the boat you need and spreading that expertise around here!

Hi E_to_N

Welcome aboard

Its great reading posts from ex military types - all the acronyms that are used that none of us poor non military sods don`t have a clue about are very entertaining - esp when we make up our own meaning:):lol: Still, as the saying goes, you can take the man out of the military but you cant get the military out of the man

That being said, you appear to have an interesting professional life - be good to hear about it over a beer.

Once again welcome.

hi e_to_n

welcome aboard

its great reading posts from ex military types - all the acronyms that are used that none of us poor non military sods don`t have a clue about are very entertaining - esp when we make up our own meaning:):lol: Still, as the saying goes, you can take the man out of the military but you cant get the military out of the man

that being said, you appear to have an interesting professional life - be good to hear about it over a beer.

Once again welcome.

pergra dirlauth alcon!

Gosh rgano...........I`m impressed

I retired and then a few years later went back to work for the US Navy as a contractor riding classes of ship I had never been aboard before. The Sailors would talk about going to this or that space in the ship, and I had zero idea of what they meant. Turns out all the new abbreviations were for spaces named in the building of the ships by CIVILIANS.

Back
Top Bottom