Shaft Seal Type

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hardship

Vessel Name
Madadh
Vessel Make
Trader 535
Does anyone recognise this shaft seal type?. It is on my Trader 535 (taiwan built) from 2003, 2.5" shafts. Appears to be of the dripless variety, however no water supply tubing is attached. I have no trouble with them, but would like to have some documentation on them. TIA

Attachments

• Stern Gland 2.jpg
    Stern Gland 2.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 17
It looks like a standard packing box to me. Replacing the flax packing with Gortex would go a long way toward making it dripless.

If you do replace with Gortex be sure to break it in first. You need to slowly tighten it over about ten hours of running time.

Rob

Agree standard box. I use the standard wax packing.

Does anyone recognise this shaft seal type?. It is on my Trader 535 (taiwan built) from 2003, 2.5" shafts. Appears to be of the dripless variety, however no water supply tubing is attached. I have no trouble with them, but would like to have some documentation on them. TIA

Looks exactly the same as mine, NOT the "dripless" kind, though properly adjusted, at rest, it drips so little that you might think it is.

My packing is teflon (? white and slippery) impregnated, which is all I have seen in the marine stores in the last 30+ years, so likely what you already have in yours. Water supply is to lube the cutless bearing, not the seal, so that is why none attaches at the seal. It will attach between the seal and the shaft tube.

We had those in our last boat. We used Duramax packing and they didn’t drip at all. The Duramax packing needs to be adjusted over 10 hours running as noted above. They are easy to repack. Ours had 6 layers of packing in them so make sure you have enough to redo it.

Sandpiper, a Taiwan built boat, has one of those too. It has no manufacturers identification. Its a copy of a Buck Algonquin packing box cast in Taiwan.

I use dripless moldable packing made by WPT.

Attachments

• 303726.jpg
    303726.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 531443-bronze-packing-boxes-00pbs-series-self-aligning-gland-type_0.jpg
    531443-bronze-packing-boxes-00pbs-series-self-aligning-gland-type_0.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Shaft seals

Thanks very much all, that’s pretty conclusive. I have never seen any drips so was unsure. I will have a dig around over winter.?

Back
Top Bottom