Another new start for Helmsman

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks like several 38E new builds are in progress. Congratulations! I wanted to say a few words about our 38E, hull 40, a new build which arrived in late October 2019.

Our Helmsman 38E (hull 40), christened MV Kiskadee, arrived in Seattle in late October 2019. Since then, we have enjoyed cruising the San Juans, Puget Sound and Hood Canal. Canada was closed last year, so we’re planning now for our extended Alaska trip in 2022.

Thanks for the great post! We wish we could join you in Alaska next summer but at number 56 we are about a year from delivery.

You may see a couple of people walking the docks in Port Ludlow and stopping to take a long look at Kiskadee...we never seem to get enough of looking at Helmsman 38s ;)

I must ask this and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but is Scott telling new customers about Trawler Forum? Just seem like a lot showing up here recently. Or are you somehow finding out from others who are already here? So the question is how are all the new Helmsman buyers finding their way here?

Whatever is happening, I wish other reputable builders had the same. It's great to see you lined up in builds and sharing with each other. The Helmsman community is special.

A bit of a bold approach too because if there were problems, they'd quickly be shared, but the company also knows they would quickly address them.

Nordhavn has this type of brand enthusiasm and Hatteras always had it and still does on the Sam's site.

I must ask this and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it, but is Scott telling new customers about Trawler Forum? Just seem like a lot showing up here recently. Or are you somehow finding out from others who are already here? So the question is how are all the new Helmsman buyers finding their way here?

Whatever is happening, I wish other reputable builders had the same. It's great to see you lined up in builds and sharing with each other. The Helmsman community is special.

A bit of a bold approach too because if there were problems, they'd quickly be shared, but the company also knows they would quickly address them.

Nordhavn has this type of brand enthusiasm and Hatteras always had it and still does on the Sam's site.

No, Scott never mentioned trawler forum to me. I would attribute some of the interest here to John’s (N0461) posts a couple of years ago. I started looking at the Helmsmen after I read some of his thread.

My only interactions with Scott post contract signing has been in regards to a few questions that pop up and the occasional updates from Helmsman on the build.

If you knew Scott, you would find that he is a humble, focused business person who is very concerned about the quality of the boat. I don’t want to speak for him or the Helmsman team but don’t think that soliciting posts on any forum would be their style at all.

I think it is no more than the interest showed by any new set of boat owners with builds under way. Part of it may also be due to the level of customization that Helmsman offers. That provides some fodder for discussion, also. And, they are quality, well thought out boats.

Finally, folks who are current owners are also participating which I certainly appreciate. We can learn from other owners who have “been there, done that”.

No, Scott never mentioned trawler forum to me. I would attribute some of the interest here to John’s (N0461) posts a couple of years ago. I started looking at the Helmsmen after I read some of his thread.

My only interactions with Scott post contract signing has been in regards to a few questions that pop up and the occasional updates from Helmsman on the build.

If you knew Scott, you would find that he is a humble, focused business person who is very concerned about the quality of the boat. I don’t want to speak for him or the Helmsman team but don’t think that soliciting posts on any forum would be their style at all.

I think it is no more than the interest showed by any new set of boat owners with builds under way. Part of it may also be due to the level of customization that Helmsman offers. That provides some fodder for discussion, also. And, they are quality, well thought out boats.

Finally, folks who are current owners are also participating which I certainly appreciate. We can learn from other owners who have “been there, done that”.

I wasn't thinking he was soliciting posts, but informing others that they could read the posts of owners on this site wouldn't be inappropriate at all. If I was him, I'd be proud of the Helmsman following here. I just always wonder how a first time poster finds their way here. Is it through google and John or other owners or how? I couldn't even tell you now how we found the forum, but imagine it was via google and looking for boating forums.

I wasn't thinking he was soliciting posts, but informing others that they could read the posts of owners on this site wouldn't be inappropriate at all. If I was him, I'd be proud of the Helmsman following here. I just always wonder how a first time poster finds their way here. Is it through google and John or other owners or how? I couldn't even tell you now how we found the forum, but imagine it was via google and looking for boating forums.

My personal situation was as follows.

I sold a 40 foot Carver in late 2019. Wasn’t planning on going with another larger boat, but the “itch” got to me. Started looking in early 2020, casually. Went down to look at a Beneteau ST 35. The salon size and some quality issues nixed that with one visit.

Started searching trawlers and came across this forum. Compared prices and “apparent quality” of boats. Started reading a lot of posts on Helmsman. Read a few good things about Scott and his team. Received a couple of PM’s from folks in regards to the trust they had in the company. So I settled on Helmsman, made a trip out to look at one, and decided to take the plunge.

It checked the attributes of quality, simplicity, and value for me. And I trust the company. Which is probably the most important thing for me. I don’t need anymore drama out if the boating industry at my age!

My personal situation was as follows.

I sold a 40 foot Carver in late 2019. Wasn’t planning on going with another larger boat, but the “itch” got to me. Started looking in early 2020, casually. Went down to look at a Beneteau ST 35. The salon size and some quality issues nixed that with one visit.

Started searching trawlers and came across this forum. Compared prices and “apparent quality” of boats. Started reading a lot of posts on Helmsman. Read a few good things about Scott and his team. Received a couple of PM’s from folks in regards to the trust they had in the company. So I settled on Helmsman, made a trip out to look at one, and decided to take the plunge.

It checked the attributes of quality, simplicity, and value for me. And I trust the company. Which is probably the most important thing for me. I don’t need anymore drama out if the boating industry at my age!

I love to see the burgeoning new Helmsman buyers here. It's positive in every way. I've personally recommended Helmsman and do so without hesitation. I love to see positive posts about good builders because there are some excellent builders around. Then I hate to see efforts to troll promoting untrustworthy builders and speak out on those. I think it's also great to really explain how a builder works and their processes. It helps the builder, too, as don't expect Builder A to follow the same procedures as Builder B. Have reasonable expectations. For instance, the only negative I've seen on Helmsman is they'll likely miss the schedule. However, it won't be by a huge amount just a bit. On the other hand I followed N4061's build and was ready to nominate Scott for sainthood and it surely showed Helmsman in a great light.

Speaking for myself, not once has Scott encouraged the use of this site as any sales related resource.

He is aware of what is posted, as well he should be. You will notice he has on rare occasion shown up to correct something or otherwise chip in comments where appropriate. He did that with John's extended thread years ago, and did so here recently. Appropriately, in my view.

How did I find this site? No mystery, just a google search looking for good boating sites.

How did I find Helmsman? No big mystery. I was hunting for the "right" boat. I found it. I was looking for small enough but big enough. I was looking for something sturdy and seaworthy, and the hull came before the amenities. I was looking for build quality. I was looking for a builder I thought trustworthy, honest, and reliable.

In looking for "small enough but big enough" I started smaller and worked up. I started out musing about a more New England style of boat, sedan, no flybridge. I wasn't seeing anything that just grabbed me. Then my wife decided she really wanted a flybridge, which had not been a particular need for me. Basic hunting through boats led me to the Camano which had some instant appeal. Discovering it was still built as the H31 was an exciting find. I spent time pondering it. I reached out with a quick email question and was astonished at the speed and perfect response from the head guy, Scott. That was my introduction. Scott answered a lot of key questions for me. In the end I concluded it was not enough boat for me, and as a retirement boat the side deck access to the foredeck seemed to be a risk where it would not be for younger people. So I began quizzing Scott on the H38, and the more I dug into it the more I liked it. The pilothouse over a sedan style. The flybridge was perfect for us. And so forth on detail after detail. Build quality was evident, and thoughtfulness on so many details.

The boat struck me as "refined" in the sense that years of fine-tuning it had led to constant improvement. It struck me as a boat built by a boater, for boaters. Built to be used, and built to be maintained well. Not a dock queen sort of design of the sort shown in the glamour ads featuring wine and bikini models.

I am not the kind of guy who will push my way onto boats just for giggles. When I was already "sold" in my own mind, Scott arranged for me to see one on the hard (due to the season). That was actually an advantage for me, because for me its hull first, and I could best see the hull. Loved what I saw. Loved what I saw in build quality. Its what I had been searching for, and found.

Along the way, I will say John's thread on his build was quite helpful. Quite. It fleshed out some things and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Scott is an amazing resource. I have tried along the way not to pester him, but inevitably I probably did. All questions were responded to instantly and completely, with an eye to really trying to understand what "I" wanted and what the real question was. At each turn the answers have been geared toward what customizations etc. will get ME where I want to be.

If I have just one piece of advice for anyone beginning the same journey with any interest in a Helmsman, it would be to just reach out to Scott and Helmsman and begin a conversation. Do not hesitate.

So did John help make the sale? I'd say yes. Thanks John! Did other posts by Helmsman owners help? Yes as well. Along with every article and YouTube clip I could find, especially those produced by Helmsman, and seeing the boat.

But, it was the boat itself and Scott as builder that really did it.

So now we wait and plan. Fantasize about cruises to come. :) Plan the lists of outfitting and equipping to be done.

Still miles to go before we sleep. But a great journey so far.

Lastly, why the recent surge of sales?

Look around at options and see what you see. Compare. If what you want is speed you can go the Nordic or Am Tug route, and nothing wrong with that. If you want rugged and close to displacement speed, show me another boat that tops it, pound for pound and dollar for dollar. And if the standard Helmsman isn't exactly for you, customize it. There is nothing out there that I know of that comes close to the boat, or to the value, or to the experience with the builder.

My 2 cents. Or 2 dollars given the length. :)

“My little horse will NOT give her harness bell a shake” until summer 2022! “ I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep! “ Helmsman 38E, MV Waterhorse! It will certainly be worth the wait!

Speaking for myself, not once has Scott encouraged the use of this site as any sales related resource.

He is aware of what is posted, as well he should be. You will notice he has on rare occasion shown up to correct something or otherwise chip in comments where appropriate. He did that with John's extended thread years ago, and did so here recently. Appropriately, in my view.

How did I find this site? No mystery, just a google search looking for good boating sites.

How did I find Helmsman? No big mystery. I was hunting for the "right" boat. I found it. I was looking for small enough but big enough. I was looking for something sturdy and seaworthy, and the hull came before the amenities. I was looking for build quality. I was looking for a builder I thought trustworthy, honest, and reliable.

In looking for "small enough but big enough" I started smaller and worked up. I started out musing about a more New England style of boat, sedan, no flybridge. I wasn't seeing anything that just grabbed me. Then my wife decided she really wanted a flybridge, which had not been a particular need for me. Basic hunting through boats led me to the Camano which had some instant appeal. Discovering it was still built as the H31 was an exciting find. I spent time pondering it. I reached out with a quick email question and was astonished at the speed and perfect response from the head guy, Scott. That was my introduction. Scott answered a lot of key questions for me. In the end I concluded it was not enough boat for me, and as a retirement boat the side deck access to the foredeck seemed to be a risk where it would not be for younger people. So I began quizzing Scott on the H38, and the more I dug into it the more I liked it. The pilothouse over a sedan style. The flybridge was perfect for us. And so forth on detail after detail. Build quality was evident, and thoughtfulness on so many details.

The boat struck me as "refined" in the sense that years of fine-tuning it had led to constant improvement. It struck me as a boat built by a boater, for boaters. Built to be used, and built to be maintained well. Not a dock queen sort of design of the sort shown in the glamour ads featuring wine and bikini models.

I am not the kind of guy who will push my way onto boats just for giggles. When I was already "sold" in my own mind, Scott arranged for me to see one on the hard (due to the season). That was actually an advantage for me, because for me its hull first, and I could best see the hull. Loved what I saw. Loved what I saw in build quality. Its what I had been searching for, and found.

Along the way, I will say John's thread on his build was quite helpful. Quite. It fleshed out some things and confirmed what I thought I knew.

Scott is an amazing resource. I have tried along the way not to pester him, but inevitably I probably did. All questions were responded to instantly and completely, with an eye to really trying to understand what "I" wanted and what the real question was. At each turn the answers have been geared toward what customizations etc. will get ME where I want to be.

If I have just one piece of advice for anyone beginning the same journey with any interest in a Helmsman, it would be to just reach out to Scott and Helmsman and begin a conversation. Do not hesitate.

So did John help make the sale? I'd say yes. Thanks John! Did other posts by Helmsman owners help? Yes as well. Along with every article and YouTube clip I could find, especially those produced by Helmsman, and seeing the boat.

But, it was the boat itself and Scott as builder that really did it.

So now we wait and plan. Fantasize about cruises to come. :) Plan the lists of outfitting and equipping to be done.

Still miles to go before we sleep. But a great journey so far.

Lastly, why the recent surge of sales?

Look around at options and see what you see. Compare. If what you want is speed you can go the Nordic or Am Tug route, and nothing wrong with that. If you want rugged and close to displacement speed, show me another boat that tops it, pound for pound and dollar for dollar. And if the standard Helmsman isn't exactly for you, customize it. There is nothing out there that I know of that comes close to the boat, or to the value, or to the experience with the builder.

My 2 cents. Or 2 dollars given the length. :)

Very well put. One thing I neglected to state is that Carver owners (out of business now) have a very active forum site, which was very helpful in many ways.

This site was very helpful to me in doing research, as was the MTOA. I used both in narrowing down what “I was really looking for.”

Last edited:
Helmsman:

Narrowing down what you really want. Yes indeed, the hardest part!

Indeed. Thanks. Too late for me to edit. Darned iphone. :)

That is our boat in the blog post, Commissioning and installation of electronics was completed on Friday and planning for delivery this coming Wednesday - if the weather cooperates.

That is our boat in the blog post, Commissioning and installation of electronics was completed on Friday and planning for delivery this coming Wednesday - if the weather cooperates.

We went by and peeked inside last Thursday, they were hard at work inside. Your boat is absolutely beautiful!

We’re excited for you. Will “Water Music” be findable on AIS? We’d love to follow the journey home. If she comes up the Swinomish Channel, we’ll be out to greet her.

We got word on Friday that our Hull No. 50 was under construction. Today we saw photos of the gel coat in the mold.

Yep. Was aware from prior posts here.

Congratulations! Plans become reality.

Good looking boat! Keep in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

We’re excited for you. Will “Water Music” be findable on AIS? We’d love to follow the journey home. If she comes up the Swinomish Channel, we’ll be out to greet her.

We got word on Friday that our Hull No. 50 was under construction. Today we saw photos of the gel coat in the mold.

"Water Music" does have AIS installed but not sure if it has been set-up yet or if that has been left to me.

Scott has never mentioned Trawler Forum to me. I found it before I became interested in Helmsman yachts by searching on the internet for boat related things. Even when we were having discussions in late 2020 before deciding to proceed with a 38E Scott never pushed us to look at on line reviews.

The response from Helmsman has always been exceptional. I wanted to upgrade from our previous boat, a Delphia 1080 with a 75hp diesel, which was great for the Trent Severn canal system but not as good for cruising the PNW but was scared to mention it to the Admiral. One week a year ago September we were on the boat at Poet's Cove marina and I showed the Admiral an article on the 38E and she was blown away.

Once we got back home, which was on a Sunday, I sent an email to Helmsman hoping for a response in a week or two. That evening, a Sunday, I had a reply from Scott asking me to contact Helmsman's Canadian broker, Calibre Yachts, and also saying he had been in touch with Richard Evans, the president of Calibre, to let him know of my interest. Though I still had a lot of research to do I was blown away by the response I got from Scott and his immediate responses to all my subsequent questions. I never considered another brand / manufacturer.

BandB,

Thinking more about your question….I think this site has its own general attraction to boaters who migrate to the trawler world. I am a member of the AGLCA and the MTOA. I was a member of both well before I started looking seriously at the trawler style of boating. They are both good places to learn about their specific interests but also about problem solving and types of boats.

When I began searching for trawlers, this site popped up with several links to discussions regarding trawlers. The way the mods have it set up, with links to types of questions asked, along with separate builder tabs, is a real plus IMO, so it has its own strengths that recommend it, and is a great place to informally look at boater impressions of boats, systems, etc.

I personally like learning about all things mechanical, with a particular interest in electronics. It has many experienced boaters who have “been there, done that” offering their advice and help. You and your wife are two of them! So, this forum is a natural landing place for those with a great interest in trawlers, and systems.

BandB,

Thinking more about your question….I think this site has its own general attraction to boaters who migrate to the trawler world. I am a member of the AGLCA and the MTOA. I was a member of both well before I started looking seriously at the trawler style of boating. They are both good places to learn about their specific interests but also about problem solving and types of boats.

When I began searching for trawlers, this site popped up with several links to discussions regarding trawlers. The way the mods have it set up, with links to types of questions asked, along with separate builder tabs, is a real plus IMO, so it has its own strengths that recommend it, and is a great place to informally look at boater impressions of boats, systems, etc.

I personally like learning about all things mechanical, with a particular interest in electronics. It has many experienced boaters who have “been there, done that” offering their advice and help. You and your wife are two of them! So, this forum is a natural landing place for those with a great interest in trawlers, and systems.

Wifey B: Hubby's driving so I am lead poster at the moment. We're actually in a road vehicle. :eek:

So happy for you and your new Helmswoman on the way and the enthusiasm of all posting in this thread. Having been through builds, I love to follow others doing it. I also love when a builder is professional and does a good job and earns kudos from their customers. I'm glad too you're all finding your way here to share with the rest of us. Hubby is diligent about trying to warn against unethical and poor builders, not those who had one problem, but those who have a history of issues or those making claims they can't possibly achieve. However, the key point is that there are trustworthy builders and no one must go or should go to the others. You have choices, and Helmswoman is a great choice (and if Scott is wise he'll trademark that name too). :)

I sometimes hear people say buy used for many reasons and one is to save money and it makes sense there. But they also say you'll have just as many or more problems with a new boat. Just not true if you choose wisely. We've built new and not had issues. Helmsowman is proof that you can do so. You've got a boat that gets delivered in good shape and that any issues are addressed quickly and professionally. Suddenly building a new boat looks like an excellent option. :speed boat:

Wifey B: Hubby's driving so I am lead poster at the moment. We're actually in a road vehicle. :eek:

So happy for you and your new Helmswoman on the way and the enthusiasm of all posting in this thread. Having been through builds, I love to follow others doing it. I also love when a builder is professional and does a good job and earns kudos from their customers. I'm glad too you're all finding your way here to share with the rest of us. Hubby is diligent about trying to warn against unethical and poor builders, not those who had one problem, but those who have a history of issues or those making claims they can't possibly achieve. However, the key point is that there are trustworthy builders and no one must go or should go to the others. You have choices, and Helmswoman is a great choice (and if Scott is wise he'll trademark that name too). :)

I sometimes hear people say buy used for many reasons and one is to save money and it makes sense there. But they also say you'll have just as many or more problems with a new boat. Just not true if you choose wisely. We've built new and not had issues. Helmsowman is proof that you can do so. You've got a boat that gets delivered in good shape and that any issues are addressed quickly and professionally. Suddenly building a new boat looks like an excellent option. :speed boat:

I agree, wifeyB. Boats are made up of components. If the components are problematic, you can replace those. You hope that doesn’t happen, but sometimes it does. The issues I have with some of the new boat builds I have looked at over the years is shoddy glass work or gel coat issues, leaks where there should be none, structural problems, woodwork with peeling veneer, loose hardware, and my favorite bugaboo, incompetent or dangerous electrical issues.

If the wiring is non-compliant with the ABYC standards (in the US) in one area, then the only safe assumption to make is that there are other issues.

In looking at one brand that will remain unmentioned, the company has two technicians that travel the country fixing gel coat cracks. The wood veneer was peeling on the 6 month old boat we visited, the floors creaked when we walked on them, and a door knob fell off in my hand. We got off that boat and didn’t look back. Pretty slick marketing for that boat, though.

As most of us know, there are certainly other quality boat builders on the market, several of which have their own page on this forum. We toured the American Tug factory while in Seattle. The people there were great, knowledgeable, and humble. It was fun and informative to crawl around the inside of half finished boats, and talk to their very experienced people about construction techniques. They make a very good boat and were our second choice, though if we weren’t able to get a Helmsman, I think we would have just punted for now.

Used boats work for many. I owned a Carver and was very happy with it. It was a great boat to learn what we like and don’t like on a boat. It was also a very well built boat.

And a heck of an education! I learned I didn’t like tight engine rooms, or gas engines, or older systems that tend to break at inopportune moments, or the local marine “service” industry, that let me down time and time again. Fun times!

Our experience with Helmsman Trawlers has been very similar to others posted here. After owning our Bayliner 3288 for five years, we had decided to move to a larger, safer, more comfortable and more capable boat. We worked with a friend who is a yacht broker and who had helped us find our first boat. He informed us that it was a whole new market and few good used boats we’re for sale.

We had narrowed our search to a Mainship 39, American Tug 41 and Helmsman 38. We spent hours online looking at boat ads and videos. We stumbled upon a 2000 Californian 39 that came on the market. It had a lot of features we liked but and equally long list of items on the owners survey. We made an offer, knowing that we probably wouldn’t be able to use the boat this summer because of the unavailability of people to correct the deficiencies. Thankfully, our offer was beaten by a more desperate buyer.

The more we looked at the Helmsman 38, the more it seemed like the perfect boat for us. We watched every YouTube video we could find. We were very impressed with Scott Helker’s informational videos.

We left our contact information on the Helmsman Trawler website and were amazed at the quick response we got, by phone. It was Scott himself, the voice unmistakable. We explained that we were looking for a used 38. Scott advised us that the waiting list for a used 38 had over one hundred potential buyers. He said he had one on the dock that was not for sale but available to look at.

It was love at first sight and buying a new boat was no longer out of the question. We really appreciated Scott’s approach to selling yachts. It was not really a sales pitch but a master class in a boat that he really believes in. He said that every boat he makes is better than its predecessor. Working with Scott and reading posts in this forum has convinced me that he means it.

We didn’t discover Trawler Forum until after we had signed the contract for Hull Number 50. Everything we have found on TF has reinforced our confidence in the decision to have 38E built. We didn’t just buy a boat. We bought the builder’s sterling reputation and service. In the process, we’ve made some new friends.

Commissioning of "Water Music" was completed on Friday Oct. 22 and hopefully will take delivery on Thursday 28; weather dependent (some nasty weather in the PNW right now). Scott sent us some photos after completion of commissioning to get us excited.

Attachments

• After commissiong 1.jpg
    After commissiong 1.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 59
  • After commissiong 2.jpg
    After commissiong 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 321
  • After commissioning 3.jpg
    After commissioning 3.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 55
  • After commissiong 4.jpg
    After commissiong 4.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 46
  • After commissiong 5.jpg
    After commissiong 5.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 46
You guys are killing me. Only 17 months to go. Beautiful BOAT!!! More pics for those of us who have to live vicariously.

Your boat is beautiful. That has been quite a journey. Did you find someone in Seattle to do the hull graphics?

Commissioning of "Water Music" was completed on Friday Oct. 22 and hopefully will take delivery on Thursday 28; weather dependent (some nasty weather in the PNW right now). Scott sent us some photos after completion of commissioning to get us excited.

Great looking boat! Two questions for you. What size chartplotter is that on the helm? And, where did you find the registration tag you have hanging off of the railing?

Your boat is beautiful. That has been quite a journey. Did you find someone in Seattle to do the hull graphics?[

http://margauxmarinegraphics.com/

Margaux does a great job! She did a fantastic job on our last boat and will be doing our new one as well!

Back
Top Bottom