CAUTION ship looses containers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Yes, but not all do. At least not very fast.

There goes 9,000 cases of Chinese-bottled distilled water for use in boat batteries.

styrofoam packing peanuts and bubble wrap has a lot of buoyancy.
oh man, i hope there's no people in those.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It's still a choppy out there so we'll see if any other ships lose containers.

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW 46N131W 943 MB. WITHIN 180 NM SE AND 240 NM
S QUADRANTS WINDS 50 TO 60 KT. SEAS 22 TO 45 FT.

SEAS GIVEN AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE AVERAGE
HEIGHT OF THE HIGHEST 1/3 OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVES MAY BE
MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT

It's still a choppy out there so we'll see if any other ships lose containers.

.24 HOUR FORECAST LOW 46N131W 943 MB. WITHIN 180 NM SE AND 240 NM
S QUADRANTS WINDS 50 TO 60 KT. SEAS 22 TO 45 FT.

SEAS GIVEN AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE AVERAGE
HEIGHT OF THE HIGHEST 1/3 OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVES MAY BE
MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT

That would be a little sporty…

Wouldn't they sink in pretty short order ???

Not necessarily. Crowley lost a bunch of containers off one of their PR-FL vessels (I was involved) off the gulf of Florida. They did not sink. Crowley got permission to have the CG do target practice on them with a variety of weapons. They settled in the water but still did not sink. Eventually they drifted to shallow water and had to be lifted out.

Analysis, the contents contained so much volume of polystyrene and air balloon packaging that they would never sink. They instead floated about 6-12" above the water.

Not necessarily. Crowley lost a bunch of containers off one of their PR-FL vessels (I was involved) off the gulf of Florida. They did not sink. Crowley got permission to have the CG do target practice on them with a variety of weapons. They settled in the water but still did not sink. Eventually they drifted to shallow water and had to be lifted out.

Analysis, the contents contained so much volume of polystyrene and air balloon packaging that they would never sink. They instead floated about 6-12" above the water.

Just high enough to do real damage and not high enough to be easily seen.

It’s bad news. That’s a pretty exposed anchorage off Victoria. Forecasting 35-45 knots Eastern Juan de Fuca Monday.

Jim

Last edited:
I just looked again thru my telescope and there appears to be a lot more smoke than there was this morning.

And the current 25 knots is forecast to gust in the 40's tonight and tomorrow.

Well at least it didn't catch fire at the dock. I ordered a cooler. Bet it was on that ship!!! LOL

I love how their story changed to only 52 kilograms (114lb) from the original report on Chek Tv of 52,080 kilograms (114,817 lb) of potassium amylxanthate, bet they could deal with 52 kilograms in a hurry.........:banghead:

One of the stories says there are two containers of the PA. The capacity of a pair of 40 ft containers is about 53,000 kg. Simple arithmetic error in the report.

I just looked again thru my telescope and there appears to be a lot more smoke than there was this morning.
Water is being pumped onto the containers with fires inside and the surrounding containers, to cool them. A lot of what you are seeing is steam.

I love how their story changed…
When it first broke, I read three different media reports, in a row. One said the ship was off WA, another off BC and one, that it was in Juan de Fuca Strait.

So easy to fact check before publishing. The media has little credibility on most stories.

Water is being pumped onto the containers with fires inside and the surrounding containers, to cool them. A lot of what you are seeing is steam.

This is entirely possible. I watched the tugs pumping water this morning and the steam plume was gray/white and flowing alongside the ship. This afternoon the much darker smoke was "curling" above the ship and flowing aft. Even from 14 miles I could see the flame.

Just now I looked. In the fading light and increasing haze I can barely make out the profile of the ship and tug. But I can see a what looks like a spot of flame in that gap where containers should/used to be. Possibly a work light?

Can any chemists here explain why they cant douse the area directly? Is it like an elemental sodium reaction?

Can any chemists here explain why they cant douse the area directly?
Not a chemist, but my understanding is, the subject containers are mostly sealed and so, water penetration is minimal. I would also imagine, if they were suddenly breached, the inflow of fresh oxygen would make it worse.

They seem content to keep the neighbourhood cool, just like a house fire.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom