Debating selling our 2006 Mainship

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonW28

Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
So we are sitting here in Key West debating the wisdom of selling our 2006 Mainship 34HT this Spring to take advantage of the sellers market. Some issues we are thinking about now:
1) This is 100% our last boat. After 46 years of owning them I am ready for a break. Debate is sell soon or wait until our low-rent slip in Key West goes away in Spring 2025. No doubt we are selling.

2) Should we sell it ourselves? Generally not my cup of tea but it seems like this market would reduce the tire kickers and bs'ers. Especially if they have to come to KW to see the boat.

3) Not sure how hard it is to get a haul out and surveyor in KW but guess the buyer will figure it out? Keeping #2 in mind would we net more minus a broker if we moved the boat north to somewhere like Lauderdale or Daytona. My gut says no but value the opinions here?

4) Boat is in really good shape with $10K spent servicing the engine and generator, new bottom paint, 2020 dinghy,motor,Sea Wise Davit system. Still not a fan of the microcommander but the new owner can deal with it. I certainly wouldn't hide the fact that I don't trust it and haven't had the time to deal with it. Canvas is decent and electronics work but are dated. Single helm so not sure the folks in the NE would love it. Just rambling as I'm thinking about pricing. Not really interested in dickering on price if I sell it myself or using a broker.

5) I'm thinking finding a marine escrow company or attorney would be $$ well spent for both parties and smooth out the DIY sale.

Thoughts please? If you want to make an offer please do but we aren't ready to sell it until Spring :). Seriously-we aren't really ready to pull the trigger.

Don

First i think any boat selling for over $100K will do better in a good broker's hands than selling it yourself. It is the only way to get it listed on Yachtworld and most buyers who can afford that kind of boat shop there. Also the broker will deal with the escrow for you.

Moving it up the coast is a bit of a crap shoot, but I suspect it will bring out more buyers. Maybe move her to the Stuart area where marinas are cheaper and more available.

The lack of a lower helm is surprising. I thought all 34Ts had a lower helm. That will be a negative to some- as you say in the cooler NE, not so much in Florida. Although the only time we used the lower helm in our 34T on the way to Catalina Island was to get down off the flybridge in ten foot waves that were breaking over our bow and splashing up. It was also less rolly down below due to the geometry of being nearer the roll axis.

Good luck with your sale.

David

There are plenty of boats in NE that do not have a lower helm. That's a non issue from my experience.

First of all, I would put it up for sale on TF. If you know what you want for it, it costs nothing to try.

Can you sublet the slip lease? Might be an added incentive for someone who wants to boat there.

If you choose to use a broker, I would move the boat. Ideally it should be near a large middle income or better population base. Also, near a major airport. If you were in Baltimore, would you rather make a trip to Key West or Miami? If the sale hinged on fixing something Key West wouldn't be my first choice.

Ted

First of all, I would put it up for sale on TF. If you know what you want for it, it costs nothing to try.

Can you sublet the slip lease? Might be an added incentive for someone who wants to boat there.

If you choose to use a broker, I would move the boat. Ideally it should be near a large middle income or better population base. Also, near a major airport. If you were in Baltimore, would you rather make a trip to Key West or Miami? If the sale hinged on fixing something Key West wouldn't be my first choice.

Ted

Unfortunately the slip lease is absolutely not transferable. It would be a heck of an incentive for a buyer.

Don

So we are sitting here in Key West debating the wisdom of selling our 2006 Mainship 34HT this Spring to take advantage of the sellers market. Some issues we are thinking about now:
1) This is 100% our last boat. After 46 years of owning them I am ready for a break. Debate is sell soon or wait until our low-rent slip in Key West goes away in Spring 2025. No doubt we are selling.

2) Should we sell it ourselves? Generally not my cup of tea but it seems like this market would reduce the tire kickers and bs'ers. Especially if they have to come to KW to see the boat.

3) Not sure how hard it is to get a haul out and surveyor in KW but guess the buyer will figure it out? Keeping #2 in mind would we net more minus a broker if we moved the boat north to somewhere like Lauderdale or Daytona. My gut says no but value the opinions here?

4) Boat is in really good shape with $10K spent servicing the engine and generator, new bottom paint, 2020 dinghy,motor,Sea Wise Davit system. Still not a fan of the microcommander but the new owner can deal with it. I certainly wouldn't hide the fact that I don't trust it and haven't had the time to deal with it. Canvas is decent and electronics work but are dated. Single helm so not sure the folks in the NE would love it. Just rambling as I'm thinking about pricing. Not really interested in dickering on price if I sell it myself or using a broker.

5) I'm thinking finding a marine escrow company or attorney would be $$ well spent for both parties and smooth out the DIY sale.

Thoughts please? If you want to make an offer please do but we aren't ready to sell it until Spring :). Seriously-we aren't really ready to pull the trigger.

Don

Seems to me you've made up your mind to sell, so just do it and move on. Do it now. I'd recommend a broker and I'd recommend interviewing and selecting one immediately. As to moving the boat, more people will view it in Fort Lauderdale but then you incur slip cost.

You sound anxious but then say not ready until spring. You do understand that means missing the peak South Florida selling season and could mean a much different and less favorable market as well?

Seems to me you've made up your mind to sell, so just do it and move on. Do it now. I'd recommend a broker and I'd recommend interviewing and selecting one immediately. As to moving the boat, more people will view it in Fort Lauderdale but then you incur slip cost.

You sound anxious but then say not ready until spring. You do understand that means missing the peak South Florida selling season and could mean a much different and less favorable market as well?

I’m not anxious at all and I made it clear, I thought, that the boat will not be sold before Spring. My wife fully intends to get this winter in Key West. Moving it further North and using a broker is an option and the kind of comment that is useful.

If we decide this Spring is the time that will be an option we consider.

Don

I’m not anxious at all and I made it clear, I thought, that the boat will not be sold before Spring. My wife fully intends to get this winter in Key West. Moving it further North and using a broker is an option and the kind of comment that is useful.

If we decide this Spring is the time that will be an option we consider.

Don

I misinterpreted your desire to move on from it then, read the ready for a break after 46 years and put too much on that. Just have to be cautious in regards to talk about taking advantage of sellers market. Spring in South Florida may well not be one. I don't know. If I wanted to continue using it three or four more years, I would do so and not think about good or bad market. Enjoy it as long or as short a time as you want. When it's no longer something you want to enjoy then talk to brokers.

My reactions...
Sounds like your mind is made up - only question is when
Todays seller market likely won't get better... won't last forever... when it declines is the big question
DIY sale more likely in todays market, if you are so inclined, vs a slower market.
In a sellers market getting broad marketing coverage less of an issue as buyers are scouring every available avenue to turn up decent boats
Location - The more convenient to get to for viewing / inspections the higher the probability of a quick(er) sale
MS 34T's are a know entity and respected for being a value, especially for those moving up & into this style & size of boat
Priced reasonably, ($200k +/-) a DIY sale should not take a great deal of time using TF, Boat Trader, etc
Many northern boats are essentially off the market in winter - covered, in storage & not readily viewable. Northern buyers looking during winter likely would entertain a trip south to view / inspect a potential candidate. Maybe start advertising over winter with caveat that it won't be available to lose until spring. Inspection, Negotiations, surveys etc can take 1-2 mos easily so spring closing not unreasonable. Northern buyers looking to actually take possession & use a purchased boat in spring / early summer.

Last edited:
My reactions...
Sounds like your mind is made up - only question is when
Todays seller market likely won't get better... won't last forever... when it declines is the big question
DIY sale more likely in todays market, if you are so inclined, vs a slower market.
In a sellers market getting broad marketing coverage less of an issue as buyers are scouring every available avenue to turn up decent boats
Location - The more convenient to get to for viewing / inspections the higher the probability of a quick(er) sale
MS 34T's are a know entity and respected for being a value, especially for those moving up & into this style & size of boat
Priced reasonably, ($200k +/-) a DIY sale should not take a great deal of time using TF, Boat Trader, etc
Many northern boats are essentially off the market in winter - covered, in storage & not readily viewable. Northern buyers looking during winter likely would entertain a trip south to view / inspect a potential candidate. Maybe start advertising over winter with caveat that it won't be available to lose until spring. Inspection, Negotiations, surveys etc can take 1-2 mos easily so spring closing not unreasonable. Northern buyers looking to actually take possession & use a purchased boat in spring / early summer.

Don,
Some good thoughts. My best bet might be to take a couple of months to make a firm decision and then test the waters with a DIY sale attempt while we are still here in Key West. If it doesn't work then we can take the boat up north to somewhere around Daytona and list it with a broker. If it sells here great, sells there great, or if we get cold feet and decide to keep it before listing it then that is OK too.

Other than this market I would never attempt a DIY sale on a boat this size but talking to friends they are waiting in line to get trawlers and we know we are close to the end of the line for boating. The entire catalyst for this was a guy stopped by our boat yesterday and out of the blue asked if we would consider selling it. Told him maybe in the Spring and of course he wants it now. Not happening. I like my wife and want to keep her:):).

Don

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom