Cruising across Florida west to east

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilPB

Guru
Vessel Name
Sun Dog
Vessel Make
Mainship 34
Newbie here (just wanted to get that out of the way). Planning to make the trip from Fort Myers to Stuart this month (Oct 2021) and looking for any tips or intel. If anyone else is planning the same trip would like to possibly go with others.

It is a pretty straightforward trip, we completed it East to West at the end of May. Water levels should be pretty high, so you would have choice of routes on Lake O. Check the Local Notices for any alterations to bridge or lock schedules. We had to work around a closure of the Rzr bridge at Indiantown on our trip.

This link has tons of info

https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruise/okeechobee.php

Just be really careful to stay in the channel, when you're crossing the lake. I know a couple of people who got bent props when they they day dreamed and drifted just a little ways out of the channel. Especially when there's minimal water.

We went across one time. It was interesting, but not interesting enough for us to ever do it again. I'm much more enjoy going around through the keys.

A pleasant trip, and a chance to see / experience parts of Florida that are invisible to most visitors. Any month from October until April or May is a nice time to make the crossing, IMO. If you've never locked through a canal before, the OW is a good place to develop your practices. Most of the locks are relatively low energy and thus low-drama. As noted, stay in the channels and you should have zero difficulty. Enjoy, and welcome to the TF!

Just be really careful to stay in the channel, when you're crossing the lake. I know a couple of people who got bent props when they they day dreamed and drifted just a little ways out of the channel. Especially when there's minimal water.

We went across one time. It was interesting, but not interesting enough for us to ever do it again. I'm much more enjoy going around through the keys.

Going around adds a lot of time, most likely 7 to 8 days. And the ride cutting across Florida Bay is boring, but the run thru the islands south of Marco is fun.

I find the Eastern part of the trip through the St Lucie Canal boring, but I enjoy the Western part through "old Florida" and find the the South rim quite interesting.

Considering across the Lake is a 2 day trip at a reasonable pace, against through the Keys at 7-8 Days, if you're just going A to B its a no brainer.

If you want to go to the Keys, go to the Keys, not through them

:socool:

Going around adds a lot of time, most likely 7 to 8 days. And the ride cutting across Florida Bay is boring, but the run thru the islands south of Marco is fun.

Thank you! I'm getting the motor checked out And then we will hopefully be good to go

G'day. Total newbie (i.e. 1st post) here too. Also, currently boatless, recently retired, and frustrated as heck waiting and praying for a suitable live-aboard trawler (i.e. newer w/ no external wood in the 34-40' range, etc.) to come available.

Anyway, pertinent to this thread you might want to see https://cruisersnet.net/ and specifically the post on that webpage "NAV ALERT: USM: USACE: OWW: Jan 2 - Mar 31, 2022" stating that the St. Lucie lock will be closed during that 3 month time interval so crossing Florida during that specific time period will not even be an option.

Take care.

The channel with which to be wary is the portion leaving the marina on the west side of the lake. Once clear of the marked channel you can relax a bit.

G'day. Total newbie (i.e. 1st post) here too. Also, currently boatless, recently retired, and frustrated as heck waiting and praying for a suitable live-aboard trawler (i.e. newer w/ no external wood in the 34-40' range, etc.) to come available.

Anyway, pertinent to this thread you might want to see https://cruisersnet.net/ and specifically the post on that webpage "NAV ALERT: USM: USACE: OWW: Jan 2 - Mar 31, 2022" stating that the St. Lucie lock will be closed during that 3 month time interval so crossing Florida during that specific time period will not even be an option.

Take care.

Welcome aboard.

Plan a stop in LA Belle FL.

Free tie up , free water, free small electric and free WI FI from library a few feet away.

Local eateries are marginal at best.3 day stay maximum is seldom observed.

Plan a stop in LA Belle FL.

Free tie up , free water, free small electric and free WI FI from library a few feet away.

Local eateries are marginal at best.3 day stay maximum is seldom observed.
Yes, all true except the berths are not very suitable for larger boats. No finger piers. Stern-in tie-up is a must. We anchored across the river from the piers after watching a sailboat struggle mightily getting secured. We were 50 feet from the shoreline in 20 feet of water. The current kept us oriented parallel to the shoreline.

Not sure how you all feel this is a 7-8 day trip to go around. We are in a 58LRC and it's one day from Punta Gorda to Marker 5 bridge (we run overnight) and one day up to FLL area from the keys (again, running overnight). No locks, no bent props.

There aren't any great places on the Okee-waterway to stop or for food except for possible a fun stop at Rowan Martin's Tiki Bar.

Anyway, mileage to go around is a bit more - but much easier trip as far as I'm concerned. Autopilot, with a decent watch schedule and everyone arrives relaxed.

Just my 2 cents

We did the trip last April, in a Prairie 29 (3.5ft draft), and had a wonderful trip. We did the shore line trip instead of the straight across, enjoyed seeing the little towns and stayed at a small city marina one night with nice docks. Have fun

We’ve done this trip a number of times. You can stop at Moore Haven’s public docks (first-come, first-served); however, we prefer to get through the Moore Haven lock (before 4:30) and push on to Roland Martin’s at Clewiston. Decent food, easy stop, nice people. That way, you’re ahead by one lock and primed for a lake crossing first thing in the morning. The other advice you’ve received is good, as well.

tlaw7

Newbie here (just wanted to get that out of the way). Planning to make the trip from Fort Myers to Stuart this month (Oct 2021) and looking for any tips or intel. If anyone else is planning the same trip would like to possibly go with others.

Be careful about the "no wake" zones at the bridges especially. In 2018, I had a friend at the helm and he did not slow down enough at a bridge and police actually chased us on the road to the next bridge which was down and waited there to serve me a ticket. It was a speed trap.

It's an easy trip - have done it both ways. Be careful particularly in the lake - the wind can move you sideways out of the channel - no different than in any other areas with rather narrow channels and a cross-wind.

Always a good idea to give us your boat type, draft and cruising speed for these sorts of questions. As others have said, this is a straight forward trip as long as the levels in the lake are reasonable and you stay in the channel. The rim route is obviously longer & there is less depth but it's more interesting. Straight across the lake is the shortest route but not much to see. There's room for one or maybe two boats to anchor on the east side of the Port Mayaca lock and if you do you'll see tons of gators at night. Shine a spot light on the water and you'll see lots of bright red eyes! There is a railroad lift bridge east of Port Mayaca with a max height of 49' - generally not a problem for trawlers. Locks are straight forward, rise/fall is typically only a few feet. The locks are somewhat unique in that to let water in or out they simply open the lock gates a foot or so (vs having inflow pipes in the lock bottom). Current in the locks is minimal, just tie up to the side and standby to ease lines if necessary. Enjoy the trip!

I have always enjoyed poking along through the lake route more than the boring trudge around the peninsula, IF getting from one coast to the other is the objective. When that was NOT the goal, we enjoyed going through the Goodland pass and into everglades City, etc, etc. So it sort of depends on whether its the journey or the destination you are after.

Using the Cross State Canal

Hi......With more than 20 crossings of FL, I know the Cross State well... By Far, the most IMPORTANT thing to do, is to CALL the Corp. of Engineers, ( Phone # on the Charts) & Verify that ALL the Locks are Open for Business, when U plan to do your crossing... Worst thing is to get all the way across & find that the Last lock, is down for Repair & have to go all the way BACK, then go around the Bottom of the State. (Ask me how I Know).. Also once a Lock broke , with me in it.. Had to leave the boat, in the Lock, return to Tampa , by Rental car & come cack by car, a week later, after it was Repaired!....
Have FUN!.........Ken

You might want to confirm east lock is functioning. I read it was going to be closed for major repairs.
Confirm with Army Corp of Engineers all locks in that waterway are running.

I've done it several times. since I'm most often alone, coming and going, I go around. If you've never seen tip of Florida (Capes Romano and Sable), it is worth it. Lots of long beaches with NO one on them....'cept crocks (which are, by the way, VERY shy and beautiful. Not dangerous. Most of them I saw were 4 or 6 feet long. I'm from KW......I'm glad I did this. Have done it twice. You can go around the tip of Florida and pick up somewhere off Islamorada and go through Jewfish Creek into Biscayne Bay. I draw 4.6 ft and have had no problems. Going through the locks are worth it, too, if you've never done it. Very pretty river and staying at Moorehead is a treat.

Lake crossing

I second spending the night at Roland Martin's Marina. Do the main route thru the center, not the rim route. A good GPS helps a lot as some of the markers are a way off and hard to see. When you get to the east side, Indiantown marina is close by.

Newbie Too

Hi Newbie,
We were newbies too bringing our new to us 430 Mainship through last July from Virginia to Port Charlotte on west side.
I would warn that the water was fairly high and coming through a couple of the locks was a challenge. As they begin opening the exit doors make sure you have the strength to hold those ropes and keep the boat in place! If your fenders are out watch that they aren’t placed on the part of the walls where there are cubby holes they fall into as the water raises or lowers. It will tear them off.
You will also have some monster fishing vessels running up hard behind you as you cross the O. They were all great but when they slow and pull along side you, slow way down and fall back and pull behind them fast. They only give you a sec to get back there before they speed off and throw a monster wake at you. I learned the hard way! Won’t forget that again.
We followed our electronics and Active Captain constantly on our 18 day trip and didn’t get a scratch.
Wish we could do it with ya. Have fun.
Oh remember some of the locks are only opened certain hours so don’t get unexpectedly stuck between them. Far west one closed at 5 sharp I think. We stayed at the free city dock just east. Nice place!

We've been across many times and it is usually no problem. Once we get to the Lake, it takes us about 3.5 hours at 6.5 knots. Pick your weather, the lake can be a bear.

Just made this trip east to west last week. Plenty of water in Okeechobee. Don't worry about that. Here is what we did- in reverse order.
Fort Meyer Yacht Basin. Good marina with fuel and lots of stuff within short walk. Staff very helpful.
The run from FM to Moorehaven was 7.5 hrs at about 8kts. Two lochs in this stretch. No fuel in Moorehaven. We stayed at River House Marina. Decent. No frills. Walk to Haven Fresh for some good Mexican food.
Next stop is Indian Town. Very quiet. Very quaint. Fuel. No town nearby. Two lochs on this stretch. 6 hrs of travel. The lake is easy. Just watch your buoys. We Went a cross not the rim route.
Day 3 is to Stuart . 7 hrs with one loch.

All in all a very non eventful trip. No white knuckle spots. A few lochs to deal with but after one they are all the same. Heading east you should have starboard side fenders. These locks seem to change levels very slowly so be ready to hold those ropes for awhile. Have a boat pole ready to keep you off the wall.

We have done this trip both ways several times, pretty straightforward. Only caveat is a north west wind across the lake can build up a substantial sea at the Port Mayaca lock, east side of the lake. Friends entered the lock with a following swell which bounced them around, then the outside (west) lock wouldn't close because of the wave action, They spent 20 minutes being banged around inside the lock chamber before the operator finally got the west lock closed and the east lock opened.
Also, the trip around the bottom of Florida is always a pleasure, except for the lobster traps. Take the waterway through Marco Island as others have mentioned, several good marinas in the area to spend a night, then anchor the following night anywhere along the bottom of Florida.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom