Wow! Look at the migration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
First of all, it was tongue in cheek.

September 5th was Wednesday. I had a trip scheduled that didn't fill, so it was canceled Monday. No, my memory isn't this good, I keep business records for atleast 7 years, or what the accountant tells me to do.

Ted

Wifey B: I was laughing but didn't remember the details. We love Ocean City, although not when it is all shut down in the off season. Nothing worse than seeing the amusement parks not operating when it's beautiful out. :ermm:

My accountant in whose arms I currently am cuddling, says your accountant is right. :rofl:

Other great communication with you was when you looped and only other looper we know who was Superior in their decision. ;)

"I really hate getting done late in the day and not confidant I’ll find a decent spot to anchor."

The std "Bahama " 2 anchor setup only takes an extra min. or two to set and about triples the size of most anchoring areas.

Went up the Mississippi from the confluence with the Ohio once. Eight-knot boat and a four-MPH head current. Finding the one pre-planned anchorage on one of our 45-50 mile long legs jammed with floating debris was scary because there was zero safety in running in the dark to get to the next pre-planned hole. No possible way to anchor unless you could get out of the flow. Got lucky a few miles on and found an outcropping to hide behind.

It was a bit surprising to me that running south from Norfolk to FL 18 months ago for the first time to find that in some areas anchorages were pretty thin.

Here in the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway, you can throw a hook just about any old place until west of "Nawlins" where it is best to have a bit more of a plan.

Wifey B:
Other great communication with you was when you looped and only other looper we know who was Superior in their decision. ;)

Agreed!
Most likely heading back there next summer after up and back on the Rideau, Trent Severn, Georgian Bay, and the North Channel .

There are 5 Great Lakes; only one of them is Superior.

Ted

Agreed!
Most likely heading back there next summer after up and back on the Rideau, Trent Severn, Georgian Bay, and the North Channel .

There are 5 Great Lakes; only one of them is Superior.

Ted

Wifey B: We love Georgian Bay and liked the North Channel. We couldn't do the Rideau and Trent Severn route. We're looking at repeating in perhaps 2023. :D

Did you ever wonder how well you were going to sleep while anchored off the AICW?

All morning as I was approaching Morehead City, NC there were Navy amphibious assault ships maintaining station offshore (telling us to maintain 3 mile distance). One of them came into the Morehead City commercial basin complete with helicopters.

After clearing the Onslow Beach bridge, there's the distinct smell of JP5 (jet fuel). Some of these guys are idling on the beach.

View attachment 122331

Inside Mile Hammock 2 landing craft are tied to the bulkhead.

View attachment 122332

8 RIBS are waiting on the boat ramp.

View attachment 122333

Looks like the show will be starting soon.

View attachment 122334

The only thing missing are the Osprey tilt engine aircraft. Probably only a matter of time.

More pictures to follow.

Ted

We enjoyed our time at Mile Hammock. The sights and sounds of freedom!

We just talked to a captain friend doing a delivery from NY south. He said Coinjock had no space available and that it was the most traffic he'd ever encountered on a trip south. I think the closing of the Annapolis show was a huge part of it.

Yes, seeing more boats. I think I've seen 6 Canadian flagged vessels.

As an interesting side note, my application for a time waiver from Chubb was denied today. I was basically looking to get a 7 day waiver to head below Savannah before the 1st of November. I'm guessing that I'm not the only one who will be waiting above Savannah. Have friends waiting above Hatteras in the same situation. My broker said the insurance companies they deal with aren't in an accommodating mood this fall. In previous years, this hasn't been an issue if there is no hurricane activity forecast to impact the SE USA before the end of the month.

Ted

Agree with Iron Zebra ... Annapolis Boat show wrap up and 'timing' to get to the GA/FL line right after your insurance company says it's ok.

We’re in Carolina Beach tonight, hoping we might be a bit ahead of the biggest part of the surge, but don’t really know. We left Annapolis Monday after the powerboat show ended. So far we haven’t had too much difficulty finding an anchorage or mooring. We even managed to score one of the free town docks in Oriental.

Flow - not

For another view of flow....not, check out 33°41'07.1"N 118°13'07.1"W.
A rather full anchorage...nothing under 600' LOA.

Had the same sort of thing happening in Oz with boats heading north
We were already north, the extra boats freaked us out so we came back south and had it all to ourselves.

I heard from many local Tasmanians the North Queensland anchorages were very full compared to previous years, our guys had to wait for clearances to get back via NSW. I guess no overseas travel puts pressure on the warmer states of the country, whether it’s RV or boat travel

Back
Top Bottom