Decided on a 34T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zercado

Hi, after a lot of research I have decided that a 34T ticks every box that I had on my list. Unfortunately I have not actually seen one in person so hopefully one will turn up close to Vancouver so I can go and visit. I am hoping to buy one early in the new year unless I somehow come across a great deal ahead of time. If anyone has any insights it would be appreciated and I am wondering if there is much storage and how it is for staying onboard for long periods. Thank you very much.

You picked a great boat, particularly for a couple. We owned a 2006 34T for about five years and loved it. This is one 34'er that has room for twins with its wide beam, although it doesn't need them. Ours was a single Yanmar and would cruise at 12-13 kts burning 12 gph or go slow at 7 kts at 3 gph of fuel.

David

I definitely want the single Yanmar and thank you for the fuel burn numbers. Much appreciated.
Brad

Brad
Welcome to the Mainship club.
We really like our 2008 34 HT so its identical except no bridge. The single is a pleasure to work on as there is plenty of room. I've had 3 large guys in the ER when they were helping (really doing and teaching me how to) adjust valves.
If you haven't yet, take a look at my Bacchus website. Lots of info, links and write up of many projects I've done on ours. I found it necessary to make some mods, additions etc to maximize storage. From the factory left several areas that were hard to utilize efficiently without mods.
I didn't like many of the things that MS did electrically and have made some mods in batty uses and the charging arrangements.
Re comfort living aboard... we find the 6-4-2 rule... 6 for cocktails, 4 for dinner and 2 for overnight... works well on our 34HT. We skipped a season slip in the NE and cruised from start of June to Mid Aug and it worked very well for us. Longest previous cruises were usually in the 4-5 week range. We did have a dingy and mixed things up as far as stays... some marinas, many lock walls & town walls, with anchorages thrown in when in desirable areas and Wx cooperated. Links for full 2019 cruise planning and daily track & log are also available on the website.
Let me know if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Thank you vey much Don, will definitely check out your site. Much appreciated!

I have a 07 trawler and am in Victoria so if your ever over here let me know and I will try to get you a tour. We love ours and find the storage plenty although we have not spent more than a couple weeks at a time on her (we plan to just have to retire first). It’s a single yanmar which is nice for maintenance and fuel consumption (2.5/hr @ 7kts). I have done some upgrades, especially to the house batteries and charging systems. The only thing I wish it had was more fresh water, 70gal is ok for 7-10 days but I have started carrying a couple 20gal bladders for the trips in the summer. We also have added a portable 12v fridge/freezer as the fridge onboard is a bit small for us. Lovely boat and very comfortable for the two of us.

Thank you for the invite and the info.Hopefully I will find a good one in Canada to purchase. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom