Seat Footrest Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
I wanted to share this upgrade I just started on my Pilot for the 2 front seats. I had already added Permateek decking in the cockpit and the white plastic foot-rests didn't really match. I thought it would be a nice upgrade to remove the plastic and replace with teak. A local marine woodworker quoted me between $1000-1500 material and labor for the 2 foot-rests. I thought I would DIY by using some teak strips to rebuild the plastic surface. I found something on Amazon that was almost the exact size needed and looks much better. Made the project very simple. All I had to do is taper the edges with a jigsaw. Very simple and easy inexpensive but a nice looking result. Total project cost well under $100. Here's the amazon link and some pics in-process. Not completely fininshed but you'll get a good idea.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A5BY1X6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Attachments

• Teak step.jpg
    Teak step.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 18
Nice job. Will you leave the teak unfinished to provide traction?

Nice job. Will you leave the teak unfinished to provide traction?

Coming from you Rich, that's a nice compliment! Not 100% sure yet but traction is usually not an issue. I would be standing on the floor if it's really rough. So I'm thinking of a non-glossy poly coating mainly just for protection and to reduce maintenance of the bare teak. I can't emphasize enough how easy this was thanks to finding the teak step on Amazon that was the right thickness and nearly perfect dimensions.

I asked because for one reason or another, including reaching up to open the portlights over the two side windshield panels, I end up standing on them and depending on not slipping off. I have also been known to use it as a stepping point to end up standing on the pilot chair which my head and chest sticking out of the Bomar hatch overhead while steering with my foot. :socool:

Attachments

• DSC03178.jpg
    DSC03178.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 18
I asked because for one reason or another, including reaching up to open the portlights over the two side windshield panels, I end up standing on them and depending on not slipping off. I have also been known to use it as a stepping point to end up standing on the pilot chair which my head and chest sticking out of the Bomar hatch overhead while steering with my foot. :socool:

Makes sense, but my setup looks quite different than yours and I don't think I've ever had a need to stand on them. However, the original plastic ones are rather slippery anyway.

I stepped up on mine to climb out the window when picking up a mooring, anchoring or docking singlehanded.

I stepped up on mine to climb out the window when picking up a mooring, anchoring or docking singlehanded.

Hey Bill, send us a video of that act! :)

Back
Top Bottom