Wow! Look at the migration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boomerang

Guru
Vessel Name
Wandering Star
Vessel Make
PSN40
I use marine traffic at work to track our fleet and I couldn't help but notice all of the boats making their trek South at the same time in the same area. The weather conditions must be just right and everyone piled onto their boats at once! The first picture is centered around Smith Point Light on the Chesapeake Bay. There was a thick concentration of Southbounders from Annapolis MD to Norfolk. The second capture is of all the boats anchored for the night (in our creek and every other navigable creek) and the shipping lanes cleared.
I've never left before the end of October and it's with good reason; we always waited for the crowds to thin out so there was a better chance of getting a slip or anchoring spot, and it was just less stressful on the waterways without so much traffic.
I hope I haven't jinxed myself and that the traffic will be way ahead of us when we leave!

Attachments

• IMG-1445.jpg
    IMG-1445.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot 2021-10-20 6.20.26 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-10-20 6.20.26 AM.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 108
Yes, the migration is in full flow. I'm approaching Morehead city, NC and there is moderate flow here. I'm hoping to stay ahead of the flow. Should be in Mile Hammock this evening. Will be interesting to see how many are there.

Ted

Looks almost like the migration north to Alaska. Fun to watch...

ASD,
Most skippers go north when they’re ready. So the’re strung out over about 3 months.

But most rec trawlers will head south before September … being the very conservative lot they are (except ASD) they will listen to the semi-horror stories of the past and prematurely go south. So you’ll see a more-or-less mass migration south.

Yes, the migration is in full flow. I'm approaching Morehead city, NC and there is moderate flow here. I'm hoping to stay ahead of the flow. Should be in Mile Hammock this evening. Will be interesting to see how many are there.

Ted

Ahead of the crowd is good too. I can't imagine how bummed I'd be when the day comes that we can't find a decent anchorage at the end of a long day due to overcrowding. I try to always have at least 1 of not 2 backup anchorages close by. The ace up our sleeve is that all we draw is 3'. If need be, we can get into skinny water and that allows us a few more options. We have a full keel & I'm not afraid to use it!

I noticed in the screen shot one of our favorite anchorages was full up. We try to leave as early as possible and get to our intended anchorage no later than mid afternoon. We have better luck with getting a good spot and I really hate getting done late in the day and not confidant I’ll find a decent spot to anchor.

I noticed in the screen shot one of our favorite anchorages was full up. We try to leave as early as possible and get to our intended anchorage no later than mid afternoon. We have better luck with getting a good spot and I really hate getting done late in the day and not confidant I’ll find a decent spot to anchor.

I know it's kind of disheartening to see an intended anchorage full of boats on the AIS but you have to remind yourself that the icon size is so exaggerated that there's probably plenty of room. Your favorite spot might be taken but hopefully there's room for a few more boats close by.

Seeing that many AIS targets in [secret anchorage location] means that it is likely full. It’s kind of surprising to see that many there with AIS on. I kind of look at AIS like cockroaches. For every one you see, there are many more you don’t. Or something like that.

Did you ever wonder how well you were going to sleep while anchored off the AICW?

All morning as I was approaching Morehead City, NC there were Navy amphibious assault ships maintaining station offshore (telling us to maintain 3 mile distance). One of them came into the Morehead City commercial basin complete with helicopters.

After clearing the Onslow Beach bridge, there's the distinct smell of JP5 (jet fuel). Some of these guys are idling on the beach.

landing-craft-air-cushion-lcac-01.jpg

Inside Mile Hammock 2 landing craft are tied to the bulkhead.

20211020_151414.jpg

8 RIBS are waiting on the boat ramp.

20211020_153105.jpg

Looks like the show will be starting soon.

20211020_155110.jpg

The only thing missing are the Osprey tilt engine aircraft. Probably only a matter of time.

More pictures to follow.

Ted

You have a front row seat! Pretty cool that civilians can get that close to actual maneuvers. The noise is but a small inconvenience knowing they're on our side.

ASD,
Most skippers go north when they’re ready. So the’re strung out over about 3 months.

But most rec trawlers will head south before September … being the very conservative lot they are (except ASD) they will listen to the semi-horror stories of the past and prematurely go south. So you’ll see a more-or-less mass migration south.
Oh, I get it!

Hey you all. The PNW sucks, don't come. Weather is rain and cold clouds. No marinas or fuel.

LOL

I use marine traffic at work to track our fleet and I couldn't help but notice all of the boats making their trek South at the same time in the same area. The weather conditions must be just right and everyone piled onto their boats at once! The first picture is centered around Smith Point Light on the Chesapeake Bay. There was a thick concentration of Southbounders from Annapolis MD to Norfolk. The second capture is of all the boats anchored for the night (in our creek and every other navigable creek) and the shipping lanes cleared.

I've never left before the end of October and it's with good reason; we always waited for the crowds to thin out so there was a better chance of getting a slip or anchoring spot, and it was just less stressful on the waterways without so much traffic.

I hope I haven't jinxed myself and that the traffic will be way ahead of us when we leave!
Yesterday the Krogen Rendezvous left from Solomon's. From the time stamp on you shot that would be about 30 Krogen mixed in there going south.
I in Solomon's. There are at least 30-40 boats anchored in the creeks moving south.

Had the same sort of thing happening in Oz with boats heading north
We were already north, the extra boats freaked us out so we came back south and had it all to ourselves.

We're in the migration. Just a day or less behind Ted. Tied to the dock at Jarrett Bay. It's been a terrible game of "red light green light" with the three-day fronts blowing through.

It's pretty busy. We're doing our best to stay out of the busy anchorages.

"I really hate getting done late in the day and not confidant I’ll find a decent spot to anchor."

The std "Bahama " 2 anchor setup only takes an extra min. or two to set and about triples the size of most anchoring areas.

There was a thick concentration of Southbounders from Annapolis MD to Norfolk.

There are quite a few annual transients who work the boat show here and then head south right after it finishes (11/18, this year)... so that's adding to the mix.

-Chris

Think the Annapolis Boat Show wrapped up very recently. Wonder if that might contribute?

I don’t know what effect Covid is having but pretty much every year is similar. Post boat show departure, some clogging due to weather, Canadian power and sail snowbirds. Add to that the calendar dance of not wanting to be too far south before hurricane season is over yet, not so late as winter fronts become problematic.

If the boat show wrapped up this past weekend ,then it no doubt must have been a factor in all of the traffic. Of course AIS is a relatively recent phenomenon and each year more and more boats are adding them but I don't recall ever seeing so many boats heading South on the bay all at once. Maybe it's like that after every show & I haven't noticed but I kind of feel there's a few more folks attempting the trip this year, judging from the recent surge in boat sales.
I did hear the Captain of one of the 165' fishing ships remarking about the large amount of boats headed south they encountered when coming north up the bay from fishing in the ocean.
Nothing to do with the number of boats but the same captain was telling me about the anchored sailboat they encountered @ 1AM Wednesday morning. The captain said he thought it an odd place to anchor, in the bay a couple of miles offshore, but altered his course to go inshore & around him. When they were still on a collision course with the sailboat after a major course change, he realized the guy on the sailboat was running with an anchor light only! When they lit him up with the 1 million candlepower Perko Solar-Ray searchlight ,the captain said the sailboat made a bat turn and was headed for the nearest shore! I'll bet he had his 20hp yanmar screaming for all it was worth.
I wonder how far he'll make it if all of his decisions are as dumb as running in the middle of the night with only an anchor light?

You do have to wonder about some of them. Came through the Elizabeth City, NC bridge at 6 AM. Went around the corner and there was a sailboat on the edge of the channel (that's being generous). While technically he did have an anchor light, a candle on a birthday cake would have been brighter. Thankfully the radar lit him up as I was coming out of the corner. Boaters really need to take into account whether their anchor light will be seen against other background lights.

Ted

Wifey B: Just out of curiosity and listening to a lot of budgeting and forecasting data and my head needing an escape, I decided to look back at the two times we came home during snowbird season.

First was September 2015. We had been to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket (my favorite named city), and Boston that summer. Then we went to a celebration of a wedding in Newport, RI. The couple had been wed in a small wedding at our home, gone on their honeymoon and then allowed his parents to go wild with all they wanted which meant something like a thousand people at the nicest facility and oh wow to it all. I'd never seen anything like it. The couple enjoyed it, especially Maria knowing her mother in law and father in law were doing it for her and her husband. Our wedding was in Vegas and three guests. So then we left for home. :D

9/14-Newport to Port Washington-167 nm
9/16-Port Washington to NYC 22 nm
9/19-NYC to Cape May-160 nm
9/21-Cape May to Chesapeake City-66 nm
9/22-Chesapeake City to Annapolis-52 nm
9/24-Annapolis to St. Michaels-28 nm
9/25-St. Michaels to Portsmouth-134 nm
9/26-Portsmouth to Bellhaven-115 nm
9/27-Bellhaven to New Bern-85 nm
9/28-New Bern to Morehead City-40 nm
9/30-Morehead City to Bald Head Island-157 nm
10/1-Bald Head Island to Myrtle Beach-46 nm
10/6-Myrtle Beach to Georgetown-42 nm
10/7 and 10/8-Georgetown to Fort Lauderdale 470 nm.

Now this brings back memories. Why the long run home this time? Well, We'd driven to Charlotte to the orphanage as a side trip and couldn't make it back to Myrtle Beach for days. This was the year of record rainfall for SC. 21.5 inches recorded near Charleston, 23.5 in Georgetown, 27 in Mt. Pleasant. Roads closed and all this was without a hurricane and before Joaquin ever even came close. So, we were talking to Captain Bill who frequents here and he made the long trip home from Charleston a day ahead and told us conditions. Joaquin curved out to sea but an extratropical system picked up and dropped it's moisture. :mad::mad::mad:

So much for being north of hurricane territory. :confused:

Then in 2018, we'd cruised from Fort Lauderdale to Boston in April and May and to Nova Scotia and around to Montreal and then back to NYC in June to August. September 2, we flew back to the boat in NYC. Our plans were to come down the coast quickly and go to Bermuda. Unfortunately, Hurricane Florence made that seem unwise. So, here was our trip home.

9/5-NY to Ocean City-180 nm.
9/6 and 9/7-Ocean City to Hilton Head-604 nm
9/8-Hilton Head to St. Augustine-160 nm.
9/10-St. Augustine to Fort Lauderdale-270 nm.

Hilton Head made us promise we were just staying one day. By the time we hit St. Augustine, we became anxious to get home as Florence was now predicted to hit SC and NC. As soon as possible after Florence we drove to the area it had hit and did all we could to help. We had a lot of employees in the areas it hit. :cry:

Our SC family actually was with us and stayed with us in Fort Lauderdale until Florence cleared.

Everyone warns us of hurricanes living in Fort Lauderdale but the devastation the last few years has been on the Gulf and Northern FL to the Carolinas. :eek:

It's ironic that our two trips south that time of year have been impacted by storms but not in the way most people expect. Rather than leaving home, in both cases, the storms have driven us home. :lol:

"I really hate getting done late in the day and not confidant I’ll find a decent spot to anchor."

The std "Bahama " 2 anchor setup only takes an extra min. or two to set and about triples the size of most anchoring areas.

except when your neighbor doesn't anchor the same way...

There were a ton of boats in Deltaville, VA on Wednesday am, that were pulling out at sunrise.

Wifey B:

9/5-NY to Ocean City-180 nm.

Yes, I remember this. You came to my city, and didn't look me up.

In the immortal words of Sally Brown (Charlie Brown's sister in the cartoon strip "Peanuts" by Charles Schulz). "I know when I've been insulted. I know when I've been insulted."

Ted

Last edited:
Yes, I remember this. You came to my city, and didn't look me up.

In the immortal words of Sally Brown (Charlie Brown's sister in the cartoon strip "Peanuts" by Charles Schulz). "I know when I've been insulted. I know when I've been insulted."

Ted

Wifey B: Bad, bad us. Now were you even there or taking divers out or what, can't remember all that. Don't intend to insult but we've been lots of places and not seen lots of people. :eek:

There are lots in FT Pierce every winter for a few days....just a short hop from S. Florida.

There are lots in FT Pierce every winter for a few days....just a short hop from S. Florida.

Wifey B: Well, since I'm the one single handedly responsible for no women on this site, you wouldn't want me running all the women away there. :eek:

Wifey B: Bad, bad us. Now were you even there or taking divers out or what, can't remember all that. Don't intend to insult but we've been lots of places and not seen lots of people. :eek:

First of all, it was tongue in cheek.

September 5th was Wednesday. I had a trip scheduled that didn't fill, so it was canceled Monday. No, my memory isn't this good, I keep business records for atleast 7 years, or what the accountant tells me to do.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom