Classic Mainship 34 Fixed Glass Sliding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gdavid

Guru
Vessel Name
Graceland
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1
Can anyone share how the fixed panes between the salon and cockpit of a Mainship 34 are secured?

I was out in some nasty chop a couple weeks ago, heard the door sliding and was surprised to see that the fixed section on the port side had shifted 3 inches towards the center of the boat. It slid right back into place with minimal effort but I'm sure it is supposed to be fixed in place by something. Does anyone know off hand?

The port and starboard glass panels are held in place by a 3 or 4' metal "J" clip kind of thing. The metal frame has a matching "J" and the 2 mate together very tightly. The 4' piece then has 4 screws that fasten it to the outside of the frame. For your panel to slide to the center , the clip must be missing.
I know my explanation is confusing. I'll go down to the boat and take a picture for you.

My single slider has a latch that slides up and down into a grove in the bottom track. Maybe yours as well. I also have window track locks I keep around they sell at HD etc. Good luck

A picture is worth a thousand words, if it's me trying to explain something! Hope this makes it clear.

Attachments

• 102_0380.jpg
    102_0380.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_0384.jpg
    102_0384.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 102_0383.jpg
    102_0383.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 9
SWA , sometimes I wish we had a solid bulkhead like yours. All of the glass is bright and airy but there's no strength to the glass and frame assembly at all, insofar as strengthening the boat. There's really not much holding the entire flybridge to the rest of the boat. :banghead:

Awesome, I didnt think to look there. Mine must be missing or mangled. I was expecting to see something like an L bracket on the top or bottom and didn't see anything or any empty holes so I figured I was looking in the wrong place.

I scheduled a day of fishing with my Dad and Brother on Columbus day (my kids had school and my wife was working). It was rough as snot and I could have cancelled but I figured it was the ideal crew to have onboard if anything were to go wrong, I would rather deal with it without my wife and kids along. I can say with confidence that at least my port side fuel tank is clear of sediment.

Funny you mention. We were out in some heavy slop after we purchased the boat. I was up top when the slider started slamming back and forth. That's when I discovered the track lock ... along with a pile of dog puke

I need to free up my track lock, it is stuck in the up position. My track is so stiff that it rarely budges. I have a long list of nagging off season projects, some bigger than others. I dropped it off to be hauled out for the end of the season yesterday.

I need to free up my track lock, it is stuck in the up position. My track is so stiff that it rarely budges. I have a long list of nagging off season projects, some bigger than others. I dropped it off to be hauled out for the end of the season yesterday.

We got tired of securing the door with a bungy cord in rough weather so I drilled a hole through the door and frame at the top and put a pin through it. That seemed easier than any other solutions. I did away with the Mainship door stop thing. I never could make it stay secure in rough seas.
Keep on plucking away on your projects. You'll be over the hump one day. I really had to psych myself to get this last project started. I'm mentally & physically over tackling the big projects and this was the last planned one. It's time for us to reap the benefits of our efforts and start using the boat like we intended it to be used.

FYI Rebuilt the door a while back and after much research found the company Adams Rite. They had rollers, lock and keysets etc. that fit the old Mainship. Sorry you guys up north have to haul your boats in off season and yes working on old boats can really suck. I'll never be over the hump fixing and replacing old crap. She runs like a turtle though

FYI Rebuilt the door a while back and after much research found the company Adams Rite. They had rollers, lock and keysets etc. that fit the old Mainship. Sorry you guys up north have to haul your boats in off season and yes working on old boats can really suck. I'll never be over the hump fixing and replacing old crap. She runs like a turtle though

Thanks, tips like this and commiserating over our endless list of projects with other owners is part of what I love about these old things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom