Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow. Super cool boat IMO.

Was the fly bridge an add on?

I like this one, the guy looking for a bag of beans and rice could survive on this one. The hull is a former Bristol Bay 32' sailing fishing boat.

View attachment 121764

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1954-custom-bristol-bay-gillnetter-7950697/

Things I dont like about it: Wood hull, implied wet head, v'berth, I don't know a thing about a oil fired range. No A/C, no mention of a generator.

Looks like it would be a good 'plug' for establishing a fiber glass hull form.

Other than knotting a line to the anchor chain, I guess one doesn't use a snubber with that kind of anchor setup.

Ted

Ted,
I have that kind of anchor set-up and still use a bridle if I am setting up for a long stay. It quiets the chain and provides some shock absorption capability.
I just drop one end of the bridle in the water ahead of the chain and then pick it up with a boat hook under the chain and attach the two ends at the forward bollards aft of the bow. The plate chain hook on the bridle grabs the chain easily using the two bridle lines.
Easy.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 2783643_d84ad8ee.jpg
    2783643_d84ad8ee.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 37
This is a good read from a trawler guy. Not really a fair comparison but interesting.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...f32efa6520b/1630522010253/0921_LP35+Proof.pdf

Interesting for sure... My Comments on - "Life Proof 35' Full Cabin":

1. Our 34' Tollycraft tri cabin has oodles more comfortably usable room; both inside and outside.

2. Tolly's 5 seater fly bridge gives your eyes great oversight of everything - 360 degree full-view... all the time. Seating on bridge places person's eye-line 14' above water line. Standing increases that number to 16' +. Can't tell you [you simply have to experience] how great that greatly elevated eyesight vantage point is for visuals of all sorts while cruising, docking or sitting at anchor!

3. Tolly's 12'6" beam enables a 9' x 8'6" wide open and yet fully SS guard railed sundeck over top of stern master stateroom. Comfortable seating, BBQing, eating... etc at seated eyelevel some 10' above water line.

4. Tolly draft is 2'10" - but in fairness... Life Proof has reduced draft capabilities [down to 2'] by raising the outboards. With outboards down it's approximately same draft as our Tollycraft.

5. Tolly has two fully equipped heads... both with "in room" shower nozzles and drain-pan pumps.

Life Proof is fast for sure! Where our Tolly likes to cruise neatly on full-plane at 16 to 17 knots; averaging 1 nmpg --- Life Proof stats:"... cruising time to Poulsbo at a “slow cruise” of 28 knots was 30 minutes, burning less than 15 gallons of fuel. That = approx same nmpg as our Tolly [1 nmpg] - accomplishing the trip in a little more than 1/2 the time... Tolly would have take one hour instead of Life Proof's 1/2 hour.

Relaxing cruise can be wonderful fun... arrival at destination is the topping to the cake. Although our Tolly can easily cruise at 17 knots on full plane... doing 7 knots is truly relaxing and we often keep her to that speed... averaging 2+ nmpg!

Interesting for sure... "Life Proof 35' Full Cabin"

Also very interesting... "Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin". At a tiny fraction of the overall cost for ownership!!

Last edited:
Ted,
I have that kind of anchor set-up and still use a bridle if I am setting up for a long stay. It quiets the chain and provides some shock absorption capability.
I just drop one end of the bridle in the water ahead of the chain and then pick it up with a boat hook under the chain and attach the two ends at the forward bollards aft of the bow. The plate chain hook on the bridle grabs the chain easily using the two bridle lines.
Easy.

Thanks, appreciate the explanation!

Ted

I wondered if there was some connection with the Cherubini, what with the similarity (at least from the outside?)

Why are all the best looking boats in the Washington Seattle area?
I went to look at it again, to call the broker...not in Seattle after all.:banghead:

1989 Hans Christian Independence PilotHouse
SWAN is a very special trawler with a great ownership history, kept in freshwater and wintered stored in a dry heated building.​
The Trawler is located in Washburn Wisconsin

I like this one, the guy looking for a bag of beans and rice could survive on this one. The hull is a former Bristol Bay 32' sailing fishing boat.

View attachment 121764

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1954-custom-bristol-bay-gillnetter-7950697/

I’d say this is a 32’ BB fishing boat. Only about 6.5’ wide.
These were originally a sailing boat. The BB fishermen went out for a week at a time. They were open boats w shelter provided by the boom and canvas. A 40’ boat towed them out and back from the fishing grounds.
In this pic the cabin and wheelhouse was later (much later) added.
Also power wouldn’t be anything near 135hp. More like within the range of 10 to 15hp. But these BB boats had no power other than sail w low aspect ratio rigs and more often … oars.

The owner of this boat sold me a rowboat that he used in Alaska .. BB. Pic below.
The bow fender on the rowboat is a very small version of a tugboat woven line fender. See pic.

Attachments

• 268EAB99-E8B8-4A21-BAEB-EC10E08E47D5.jpg
    268EAB99-E8B8-4A21-BAEB-EC10E08E47D5.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 1E1C3B6C-6102-40C9-B85F-39BEADA3EAF7.jpg
    1E1C3B6C-6102-40C9-B85F-39BEADA3EAF7.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Alaskaflyer.....now thats what i call a proper boat! Those Cape Horns seem like some of the best out there. Some have a 3" thick steel skeg to protect the drive, etc. Even Steve Dashew probably thinks theyre safe enough.

I’d say this is a 32’ BB fishing boat. Only about 6.5’ wide.
These were originally a sailing boat. The BB fishermen went out for a week at a time. They were open boats w shelter provided by the boom and canvas. A 40’ boat towed them out and back from the fishing grounds.
In this pic the cabin and wheelhouse was later (much later) added.
Also power wouldn’t be anything near 135hp. More like within the range of 10 to 15hp. But these BB boats had no power other than sail w low aspect ratio rigs and more often … oars.

The owner of this boat sold me a rowboat that he used in Alaska .. BB. Pic below.
The bow fender on the rowboat is a very small version of a tugboat woven line fender. See pic.
If I'm not mistaken the boat converted to a cruiser was gaff yawl rigged to make it easy to heave to for recovering fishing gear. The gaff could be scandalized with yawl centered and made flat. Then the tiller pushed hard over she'd sit still and slide along sideways with the gear as it's pulled in. At least that's how I understand it to work.

Me too! Never seen those engines. Gorgeous hull.

Me too! Never seen those engines. Gorgeous hull.

I too wonder about her twins.

Anyone have knowledgeable input for: Mk 6 Supercharged Foden engines

Last edited:
Listen to [watch] this Foden diesel!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom