Old 10-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #3
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbay38 View Post
Does anyone have experience replacing the tracks on an Eastbay?

They are the stainless tracks with felt.

I am wondering if I have to remove the windows, which is a much larger job.

If I do have to remove the windows - assuming that is done from the interior. Pop the bungs to remove the teak frame?

Any advice is super appreciated!
I would try from the inside if there are no obvious clues. It is always easier to ensure a water tight result if the outside frame has not been disturbed.

Pop the bungs, easier than you think, remove the screws and cut the sealant with an exacto cutter to remove the inside frame. then all will be exposed so that you can remove the track with the glass in it.

In my own case, there wasn't adequate sealant between the track and the wood of the sill, which explained why the wood below was getting wet. Once all the damage is removed, it is easy to repair the wall with new teak plywood or other new finish material. Be very sure you use sealant (291 or 5200) when installing new track, in such a way that any water overflowing the track is directed to the outside, over the fibreglass. GBs all (don't know about East Bays, as they are scarce here in SW BC) have little drain pipes from the back corner of the track. Make sure those are clear and that water from the glass will get to them, rather than overflowing the inside of the track and running over the interior finish.

This job takes attention, but isn't difficult.