Exercising and Fitness while Living Aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

proudsailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
La Barca Beulah
Vessel Make
DeFever 44 OC
We're getting closer to taking the plunge as liveaboards. As we search for the ideal trawler, trying to figure out how to incorporate exercise/fitness into our trawler plans. Searched the forum but didn't see too much.

She's a fitness nut and avid runner, in addition to weights & yoga. I'm a cyclist, in addition to weights and yoga. Our home set-up is Bowflex dial weights which we love and are easily transportable. We also have a Bowflex machine that we've used a lot and for many years. Folds up nicely but has some height to it. I could easily see my bike on board with a trainer (although I really don't like stationary biking), not sure about the Bowflex machine. Could definitely include kayaks or paddle boards as a good aerobic exercise regime on a trawler. But hoping for insights from this forum as we plot out trawler life knowing that heavy cardio and good strength training need to be part of this also.

Other details- looking at 45-50' trawlers. Focusing on older Kadeys ideally, but also like trunk cabin Defevers- yep very different boats which would give a lot of deck space to some equipment. Other considerations for well founded trawlers that aren't just dock-side condos?

1. For the cyclists- how do you get a bike ashore when at anchor? Or don't you? Not sure about fold-up bikes, as I go 50-70 miles at a pop and sometimes do multi-day rides.
2. Any runners? Treadmills onboard? If so, what type?
3. Other ideas/thoughts on good cardio and strength training? Anyone mounted pull up bars in their trawler?
4. How do you preserve any equipment you have while in a marine environment? Canvas covers? Anything else?
5. What do you do for serious fitness while enjoying trawler life?

Always enjoy the collective wisdom (and humor) of this group and hoping to gain more of it!

Thanks,
Mark & Patty

I use my Pinerrello with a trax neo T2 trainer and Zwift on a iPad Pro. This allows me to ride with my brother who lives 400 miles away. I did all this on a 42’ uniflite as well as my current boat. Body sweat is my real problem. The marine environment is nothing compared to body sweat.

I was cruising for 8 years. Boat yoga and maintenance chores is a surprising workout much like gardening. Between that and all the walking you do shopping for essentials (food/liquids) and sight seeing plus snorkeling it isn’t hard to stay fit. Folding bikes, kayaks are great to have but add in someway to carry stuff. A cart you can pull but attach to a bike and that folds up. Don’t remember brand so can’t help there. Rarely see a cruiser on sail or power that isn’t fit. The lifestyle alone keeps you very active.

If space is a premium you can so a lot of strength training using those rubber stretchy bands. We just went full time and are still figuring it out.

My wife and I are avid runners.

I doubt you have room on a boat for a treadmill, but they are a torture device anyway, so I am not sure why you would want one :). As mentioned above, boat life is generally active, but as I am sure you know, it won't do much for serious cardio, you will have to get off of the boat for that.

Some of my favorite runs are in cruising destinations. Other than a few uninhabited Bahamas Islands, we can always find good spots to run. It's a great way to see the area too.

Freediving, paddle boarding and a little surfing are also ways that we get exercise. I'm considering buying a wing as well.

I also like fly fishing for bonefish. It doesn't seem like it, but two or three hours of wading is a pretty good workout.

We're getting closer to taking the plunge as liveaboards. As we search for the ideal trawler, trying to figure out how to incorporate exercise/fitness into our trawler plans. Searched the forum but didn't see too much.

She's a fitness nut and avid runner, in addition to weights & yoga. I'm a cyclist, in addition to weights and yoga. Our home set-up is Bowflex dial weights which we love and are easily transportable. We also have a Bowflex machine that we've used a lot and for many years. Folds up nicely but has some height to it. I could easily see my bike on board with a trainer (although I really don't like stationary biking), not sure about the Bowflex machine. Could definitely include kayaks or paddle boards as a good aerobic exercise regime on a trawler. But hoping for insights from this forum as we plot out trawler life knowing that heavy cardio and good strength training need to be part of this also.

Other details- looking at 45-50' trawlers. Focusing on older Kadeys ideally, but also like trunk cabin Defevers- yep very different boats which would give a lot of deck space to some equipment. Other considerations for well founded trawlers that aren't just dock-side condos?

1. For the cyclists- how do you get a bike ashore when at anchor? Or don't you? Not sure about fold-up bikes, as I go 50-70 miles at a pop and sometimes do multi-day rides.
2. Any runners? Treadmills onboard? If so, what type?
3. Other ideas/thoughts on good cardio and strength training? Anyone mounted pull up bars in their trawler?
4. How do you preserve any equipment you have while in a marine environment? Canvas covers? Anything else?
5. What do you do for serious fitness while enjoying trawler life?

Always enjoy the collective wisdom (and humor) of this group and hoping to gain more of it!

Thanks,
Mark & Patty

Wifey B: Take a bowflex machine on board. Put in second cabin. Kayaking is good. Biking yes. And the biggest thing you can do is walk...walk, walk, walk, walk. Walk the 5 miles to town. And, one last one. Occasionally dock at a marina attached to a resort where then either free or for a small fee you get full access to their exercise set up. Go wild there.

Smart you're thinking about it because it's so easy to lose ground. What would be active for most of us would be a step back for you and you'd feel it and regret it.

One last suggestion. I know conditioning and your weight aren't always directly connected, but weight is a measurement and while doctors say no, I recommend weighing every morning before dressing (doctors actually say after first urination for consistency). My hubby and I have a three pound rule. We know how to reverse the gain. We just don't ever want it to be difficult. If you don't watch, it's 10 or 20 and then seems impossible. Exercise and fitness are important to you so be diligent. Others will call it ridiculous but to them it's not important. ;)

You might try some of the new equipment like Tonal or Mirror. I've tried Tonal and found it to be pretty cool and effective. Have a friend who loves hers. Mirror is more a group thing and to me I just don't get it. It's like someone wanting to stand in front of a mirror and say to themselves how hot they are. Now, just because I don't understand it, doesn't mean it doesn't work for some. I knew one girl who bought one, saying a lot easier to go to exercise class from home than to the gym. :)

i do engine room yoga...
my wife is a fitness instructor, she keeps a small set of free weights, and some bands on board.
we also do nice long walks when cruising. i love to explore new areas.

In my former life, I was a serious, mid-pack, long distance runner. I have never lived aboard. When we had sailboats, we would spend lots of weekends on the boat or spend 1-2 week vacations on the boat.

Getting my weekend long run in was a challenge from the boat. If we were at a marina, it usually wasn’t too bad to take off from the dock. However, it can be a real challenge to find a route what meets that day’s training goals. While never a concern for me here in the Puget Sound region, personal safety may be a concern for your wife while she runs in unfamiliar areas. I never was very successful finding a track to use for my weekly “track Tuesday” workout from the boat.

Your region would be different. If you are living on the boat at a “home” location, you would both figure out the running and cycling. However if you plan to spend much of the time on the move, then specific training goals could be very difficult to achieve.

Now it isn’t a problem for me as I’m old, fat, and have bad knees and back. I’m never going to run regularly again, let alone train for specific races.

Good luck. You will figure it out.

Can't believe no one has mentioned SWIMMING! How many laps around your boat swimming freestyle equal a mile running on a hard surface..ie. not the beach? For me...not a swimmer, I'm a runner...I'd be pretty winded at 15 or 20 laps around a 40 ft boat.

For weight training I'd grab a couple kettlebells (wife's a personal trainer and uses these exclusively) and do what you can on board.

Carry on,

Sidney

Carry a sliding seat rowing scull, like a Maas.
Would be the best workout, full body, both strength and cardio.

I rarely exercise now. My weight varies within a three-pound range, always has. I am 6'1" tall, 168 pounds. I eat anything I like, no statins needed. I have never needed any drugs. For forty years before I retired, I played 1.5 hours of full-court basketball once a week. My weight than was the same as it is today.

I rarely exercise now. My weight varies within a three-pound range, always has. I am 6'1" tall, 168 pounds. I eat anything I like, no statins needed. I have never needed any drugs. For forty years before I retired, I played 1.5 hours of full-court basketball once a week. My weight than was the same as it is today.
You are unique. Most of us do not have your genetic. Envious.

Wifey B: I'm afraid my genetics wouldn't be favorable to not exercising. Hubby and I both exercise diligently. He's very tall and I'm sort of tall and I think we'd both handle added weight poorly. I admit when young it was an ego thing and all for appearance and it's still partly that but also health. We love basketball and tennis and love long walks and swimming and kayaking. We also use home gym equipment especially when we can't do the other. Will walk miles and use treadmill, but will never jog or run on a hard surface like pavement. Don't think it's good for joints. Even playing basketball, always tape ankles. Hubby uses weight type equipment only for stretching and agility but not for muscle building. I use it for targeted muscle strength that is aimed at females although males can benefit in protecting the upper body as well. After years of exercise it's part of our routine. :)

When cruising it can be a challenge so we keep some equipment on board. We also search for opportunities in different places. We last played basketball in a gym in Croatia. The kids were fascinated these old Americans could still play. Well, six hours to home and apparently a mob of people for dinner tonight. :hide:

Then you're like Jack Reacher. But for most people its good to exercise a lot, and is no problem on or arpund boats.

That was my father's height and weight. I'm taller and proportionately heavier.

If you're healthy and feel good then just protect that.

However, there's a huge difference between those who are naturally healthy and do so without exercise and those who are workout fanatics like the OP and if they suddenly stopped their program, they'd very much regret it. Perhaps a negative to some of they type exercising we do is that you need to maintain it. If suddenly we stopped and still lived the rest of our lives the same, our physical health would decline. We each have our own regimen that works for us. Ours is very active in spite of the fact our jobs were always indoors with little activity.

Kind of taken aback by a earlier comment. Most weight control programs like Noom and most primary care physicians have no objection to taking your daily weight. In fact in my experience most encourage that habit. Only issue is to realize your state of hydration and bowel habits may cause minor fluctuations. However if you see a major trend pay attention. Remember significant progressive weight loss maybe a sign of illness. Even those with no concerns about their BMI may find it helpful to track their weight periodically.

Kind of taken aback by a earlier comment. Most weight control programs like Noom and most primary care physicians have no objection to taking your daily weight. In fact in my experience most encourage that habit. Only issue is to realize your state of hydration and bowel habits may cause minor fluctuations. However if you see a major trend pay attention. Remember significant progressive weight loss maybe a sign of illness. Even those with no concerns about their BMI may find it helpful to track their weight periodically.

Cardiologists recommend the morning, after your first urination of the day and before dressing, eating or drinking. Get out of bed, urinate, weigh. That way you have as good a comparison as possible.

Excercise aboard is called Maintenance. Need a good workout, wash and wax the topsides. Short on time? Scrub a bilge. Need to lift some weights? Clean out the anchor locker. Cardio? Try 'speed vacuuming'. :eek:

Yup not just cardiologists. That’s a pretty universal recommendation.

Excercise aboard is called Maintenance. Need a good workout, wash and wax the topsides. Short on time? Scrub a bilge. Need to lift some weights? Clean out the anchor locker. Cardio? Try 'speed vacuuming'. :eek:

Yes, and instead of a motorized dingy, oars. No need for rowing machines on board.

I'm a big advocate of daily weighing in the morning. As Wifey B said it's easy to address a few pounds, if you wait till it's 20 lbs, it may be too big a task for most to tackle. I find just living on a boat is more excercise than living at home. A set of Therabands can replace weights for moderate strength training if you are creative. They don't take up space or weigh anything and don't rust. If you are a runner, maybe try regular swimming instead, much easier on the joints. If you don't have joint problems now, please be gentle with them. I excercised, probably excessively, most of my life and now in my 60's have worn out a hip and 2 shoulders so far. Looking back I kind of wish I wasn't so aggressive in my workouts, basketball, etc.

Check out Xiser (xiser.com) It’s basically a portable stair stepper that’s very compact and tucks away nicely. We live aboard a trawler full time and use if for HIIT workouts and just for general movement on multi-day passages to get out of the helm chair and get the blood flowing. There are a lot of workout routines with it on You Tube. Aside from that, we use fitness bands and small weights for stationary routines, and then we use the kayaks, folding bikes and a paddle board for more interesting workouts. As someone else noted, boat yoga and all the walking to literally everywhere you need to go also really helps with staying in shape.

My buddy switched to trail running and he is comfortable running along RR tracks etc. Row to shore for a run. Strong rubber bands can do a lot. You will have strong places to attach them.

I have used a folding bike while cruising and it was very helpful. Get a good fit (not all that easy though) and measure your ride in intensity and time rather than miles. You can get the same work out but just not go as far.

Just get a large sailing yacht -- Avoid using the engine - You won't have to do anything more to keep fit -

I am an avid runner and do like the challenge of running long distance races. If your the type of runner that doesn't only run for the exercise, than living on a boat can be a challenge. Depending on the type of live aboard boating you intend to do.

When at a dock, running is easily a part of your activity. So, if your going to travel and stay at various marinas on your way, running actually becomes fun. You get to see and run in new places. However, if your like us and intend to stay mostly on anchor or a mooring, than it becomes a challenge. Taking the dingy in for each run can be a pain. That being said, I trained for the NYC Marathon doing just that, mostly in Block Island and Martha's Vineyard. I just got out early in the morning, went ashore and ran. I was usually back in time for the normal days activities with my wife. For the most part though, I view the time on our boat as "non-running" time, get one in when I can.

With bikes, I would bring them in on our inflatable and leave them locked up ashore. We have fold ups and no way 30 miles a day. More like no more than 10 miles when needed.

Enjoy!

Much of the info put out by previous generations that running is bad for your joints has now been proven to be false. Moving a lot, good cardio health, keeping your weight down, strong muscles are all good for your joints. Running, along with a little strength training is the beat way there is to do that. And yes, swimming is also great. Walking is better than nothing but it doesn’t help your cardio very much.

I always laugh to myself when older people, 75 lbs overweight, weekly trips to the doctor, who can barely walk, tell me that running is bad for me. I ask them if they ran and they almost always say “no it is bad for your joints!” Im always polite, but i want to say “sure seems like 70 years of inactivity worked out great for you.” I know people have different issues that they can’t help, but exercise is almost always good. I don’t know a single older runner who regrets it. The joint degeneration rate among runners is no worse than anyone else.
Also, be carful equating smooth, hard aurfaces like pavement as being bad and trail runs as being better. That’s another thing that seems right on the surface but the truth is more nuanced. There are more injuries from trail running than road running from the uneven surface. Soft surface equals instability which can be a problem. That said, there are rewards for running on trails too. It’s beat to do both.

And for Gods sake, stay away from overcushioned shoes unless you have perfect running form with no stability issues. Soft is not most people’s friend.

Much of the info put out by previous generations that running is bad for your joints has now been proven to be false. Moving a lot, good cardio health, keeping your weight down, strong muscles are all good for your joints. Running, along with a little strength training is the beat way there is to do that. And yes, swimming is also great. Walking is better than nothing but it doesn’t help your cardio very much.

I always laugh to myself when older people, 75 lbs overweight, weekly trips to the doctor, who can barely walk, tell me that running is bad for me. I ask them if they ran and they almost always say “no it is bad for your joints!” Im always polite, but i want to say “sure seems like 70 years of inactivity worked out great for you.” I know people have different issues that they can’t help, but exercise is almost always good. I don’t know a single older runner who regrets it. The joint degeneration rate among runners is no worse than anyone else.
Also, be carful equating smooth, hard aurfaces like pavement as being bad and trail runs as being better. That’s another thing that seems right on the surface but the truth is more nuanced. There are more injuries from trail running than road running from the uneven surface. Soft surface equals instability which can be a problem. That said, there are rewards for running on trails too. It’s beat to do both.

And for Gods sake, stay away from overcushioned shoes unless you have perfect running form with no stability issues. Soft is not most people’s friend.

So do they have the expression, 'runners knee' just for the outliers? Or is it just for 75year olds who take it up for the first time? Ive never even heard of any of old guys doing that.

So true about trail running. I started last year during Covid. It was (and is) great, really enjoy it. Yet, you have to approach it differently than road running. I got slightly injured just above the ankle (never happened to me on hard surface). After listening to a podcast on trail running I have changed my shoes to higher mm drop, added strength training to the lower calves and stride. All is good. As you said, it does have it rewards, one of them is nature.

Back
Top Bottom