Maintenance while on land?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig_b

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Alpha One
Vessel Make
Chung HWA
We have a 1980 Chung Hwa PT38 currently out of the water and on land for the summer. Just purchased last fall aND as far as I know the boat has been in the water without removal for at least 2 years.
Just about to head back to do some work before putting her back in the water.
Planning on changing/checking things like sea cocks, impellers, engine anodes etc.
Also changing the packing in the stuffing box.
What I was wondering is this. Are there any other things I should be addressing while the boat is out of the water.
One thing I was thinking should be checked and/or serviced is the rudder. No idea where to start with that.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Inspect the inside of the hull at all points of penetration and look for signs of water intrusion. If they have not been re-bedded or replaced, they are likely due for removal, cleaning up and re-installing with your a quality sealant. Check any hardware for the swim platform (if equipped), the exhaust outlet, rudder post stuffing box/packing gland, any prop struts or rudder shoe mounting points, thru hulls, transducers.

Check the cutless/cutlass bearing for wear by trying to move the prop side to side, up and down. Repack the stuffing box for the prop shaft and rudder shaft if you don't know when it was last done (make yourself a note to check for appropriate leakage upon relaunch). Clean, polish and wax the hull while it is out of the water and easier to reach. Check the condition of your garboard drain fitting if you have one.

I recommend you check the stuffing if your rudder feels tight.

I just pulled the rudder shaft from my '76 MT 36. The rudder was tight and rotated with difficulty. To get the shaft free I had to pull the packing seals from the stuffing box. I was shocked to find 6!! (yes, 6!) packing seals jammed in there. The shocking part was when I pulled the fourth, I assumed I was done as the pick I was using felt like it hit bottom. Fortunately, I kept digging. The last two seals were hard as a rock and the grease(?) was hard too. I am guessing that the last two were in there for decades and became petrified.

I plan to re-stuff with Duramax Ultra stuffing once the shaft is re-installed.

I recommend you check the stuffing if your rudder feels tight.

I just pulled the rudder shaft from my '76 MT 36. The rudder was tight and rotated with difficulty. To get the shaft free I had to pull the packing seals from the stuffing box. I was shocked to find 6!! (yes, 6!) packing seals jammed in there. The shocking part was when I pulled the fourth, I assumed I was done as the pick I was using felt like it hit bottom. Fortunately, I kept digging. The last two seals were hard as a rock and the grease(?) was hard too. I am guessing that the last two were in there for decades and became petrified.

I plan to re-stuff with Duramax Ultra stuffing once the shaft is re-installed.

Thanks for that tip. I will check that for sure.
Any advise on how to tell how stiff it should be? I have no real frame of reference so not sure how stiff or loose it should be.

Last edited:
"Any advise on how to tell how stiff it should be?"

Why bother? Just pull it all out and replace with the Duramax.

Pri$y but its a once in a decade or more expense, with no bother , leaks or dripping .

Opportunity to run out anchor rode, clean out anchor locker and mark chain/rope. Check any stainless below the water line for stress corrosion cracking. Align rudder(s) with rudder angle indicator.

Back
Top Bottom