Connecting Multiple 12v Batteries to a Charger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artfulltune

Vessel Name
HAVEN
Vessel Make
Golden Star 35
My 3 lead acid 4d batts are dying so I purchased 3 lithium phosphate batts & the appropriate charger. I plan to use the existing wiring config that exists off the old 40 amp Xantrex. My question is, will the new batts, connected in parallel, charge evenly from the new Xantrex charger/inverter?

Most 12V lithium batteries, Battle Born for one, work fine connected in parallel for charging. You should check your wire size though on both the charging circuit and supply circuits. Lithium batteries can take more charging current and supply more current to users long term.

David

Most 12V lithium batteries, Battle Born for one, work fine connected in parallel for charging. You should check your wire size though on both the charging circuit and supply circuits. Lithium batteries can take more charging current and supply more current to users long term.

David
:thumb::iagree:

Thank your for your helpful reply....David

Don't just hook the charger +/- to one battery. + to first and - to last. The middle one will still be slightly less charge

You should check with the battery manufacturer. Due to differences in how the BMS is designed, there is usually a limit to series or parallel connection. Their documentation should state how many of each are allowed.

I have and old ProMariner 20 amp 3 bank charger. For years, I had difficulty getting batteries fully charged until I studied the owners manual that showed connecting it to 3 individual batteries, with no indication that it could charge a bank(batteries paralleled together). I called ProMariner and they stated that it would not charge batteries paralleled properly. How the charger knows what it is charging is beyond me. I changed configurations so it charges 3 of my batteries individually and have an inverter charger for the house bank. Life is much better. So make sure your Xantrex is capable of doing what you want.

TBill, Thanks for your reply. The installation/operating manual for the charger, (Xantrex 818-3015 inverter/charger) states only that multiple, parallel connected battery charging requires all be of the same type and specification. My intended purpose is to charge 3 identical Dakota 200ah 12v lithium batteries. BTW, something that SteveK suggested previously was to make the + and - connections at the outer batteries. This wasn't mentioned in the instructions, but, it does make sense. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom