Nj. Icw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
Has anyone run the section of the NJ ICW between Cape May and Atlantic City recently? I am anchored up in Brigantine just on the north side of Absecon (AtlanticCity) inlet tonight. Am debating wether to run down the inside to Cape May tomorrow. My only real concern is the shallow areas behind Ocean City. I draw 4’6” with a big skeg and shoe protecting rudder and prop. Not afraid to bump and grind a little. Why do it you may ask? Passenger comfort. Happy wife etc. Gonna stick our nose out the inlet in the morning and see if it has calmed down after all the northeast winds recently. Thanks in advance.

Has anyone run the section of the NJ ICW between Cape May and Atlantic City recently? I am anchored up in Brigantine just on the north side of Absecon (AtlanticCity) inlet tonight. Am debating wether to run down the inside to Cape May tomorrow. My only real concern is the shallow areas behind Ocean City. I draw 4’6” with a big skeg and shoe protecting rudder and prop. Not afraid to bump and grind a little. Why do it you may ask? Passenger comfort. Happy wife etc. Gonna stick our nose out the inlet in the morning and see if it has calmed down after all the northeast winds recently. Thanks in advance.
Thurs wind will be NW and reasonable IAW Fishweather. Looks good enough to go outside.

Thurs wind will be NW and reasonable IAW Fishweather. Looks good enough to go outside.

Looks like virtually no wind waves and just a mild 3' swell at 7 seconds. Nice conditions.

We've never done the run inside through that area. Never been there with a boat we felt was ok there.

We've never done the run inside through that area. Never been there with a boat we felt was ok there.

In the Fall is usually ok because the markers are still in place. In the Spring though the ATONS are all over the place until the CG resets them. There are several tight spots that you would want to do only on a rising tide and light winds. If the weather is good, SKIP THE DRAMA and go outside.

Only times I've run aground was on rising tides. After several minutes, floated off and proceeded.

Fin stabilized Krogen Manatee (Mango Mama) completed the entire thing headed north this past spring and south about a month ago. With the fins, it’s probably a bit over 4’. Leaving Atlantic City in their northern trek, they hit bottom at the South end of Barnegat Bay but were able to work their way around and back to the deeper channel with no other issues. Heading south from Atlantic City, it was said that one could expect a minimum of 4’ or so, and this guy claims that was about right. I would make sure I started while tide was rising and quit before it dropped too much…all the time watching the wind direction.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and run the outside. The inside is always a mess - very shallow and you need someone on the bow as a lookout - I do not run the ICW below Barnegat Inlet and neither do my friends.

Top of the tide.... 2 hours either side and you should have water.

In the narrow, twisting places take it slow.

Someone one the bow doesn't help because the water isn't clear enough and comes up so rapidly you aren't stopping anyway..

All the way is sand or mud so slow going with a full keel trawler let's you back off and feel your way to the channel.

If you have assistance towing, that area should have timely response so a gentle grounding can be corrected quickly in most cases.

Marine Traffic shows the OP in Cape May via outside route.:thumb:

Fishermen are a pain, it’s shallow…..but I love it. It’s like a real life monopoly game. It’s not a fast trip, but interesting.

We had perfect weather and ran outside to Cape May. I am interested in the inside route for those days when it blows easterly making the ocean lumpy while pumping water into the back bays. We do a round trip from Barnegat Light to Florida annually so I like to have options. By the way I have run inside from Barnegat Inlet to Atlantic City many times. This spring one hour after low tide. It’s no problem, a little thin in spots . This time at half tide rising and never saw less than six feet. A lot depends on your boat. If I had open wheel twins I’d be way more cautious. Thanks for all the replies.

I've done the inside run between BI and AC many times, due to weather conditions. When the tide was not in favor, few years ago, I've witnessed a police boat getting stuck in the middle of the channel. So, watching the tides is very important.

The stretch between AC and CM requires the same approach. Avoid if possible. But if you have to go inside, time the tides well and you should have just enough water for your draft.

With protected running gear, you have some room for error. For the rest of us with exposed wheels, waiting out for better conditions is always another option. I try using NJ ICW as the last resort. The stretch between Manasquan Inlet to Toms River is not a picnic either. My depth alarm goes off every few minutes on that leg.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom