Modified LOA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Divealot

Veteran Member
What is the length of a KK39 without bowsprit and swim step? I have a 40’ max slip and curious to know if the boat would fit for the winter months. Next spring we will be out cruising and would replace the two items before heading out. I have seen numerous boats with hinged bow sprits and a Selene with a hinged swim step which may be an option as well.

Checking with a ‘39 owner, he says his boat is actually 39’ not counting the bow pulpit and swim platform. Including both it is 42’. If you hinged the platform, you’d have to chain or cable each side (like a tailgate) and it need to be spaced out a few inches to account for the curve and aft lean of the transom, and you would loose the transom door access while the platform was raised. A reinforcing rib would need to be added beneath the platform to withstand the center stresses.

Of course, hinging the bow pulpit would likely require some forethought regarding anchor repositioning when folded and some pretty substantial reinforcement. All this is manageable if one has the skills or $$$. Best of luck.

What is the length of a KK39 without bowsprit and swim step? I have a 40’ max slip and curious to know if the boat would fit for the winter months. Next spring we will be out cruising and would replace the two items before heading out. I have seen numerous boats with hinged bow sprits and a Selene with a hinged swim step which may be an option as well.

I'd check actual measurements and also the allowances of the marina. Some allow no excess, while some at the other extreme allow up to 5'. It's also sometimes the shape and location of the slip. For instance, if there is overhang is it on the dock or the water side? I'd do a bit more research at the marina.

One should consider how "marina-friendly" a boat's size is before acquiring a trawler/cruiser/whatever.

The max length for the slip is 40'. I was between renters and thought it might be an option but the modifications are not worth the short time I would be here. Also I just got new annual renters in both of my slips in Anacortes and the slip is therefore no longer available. My primary slip is in the islands and I am having a lot of work done so thought it would be more convenient to move the boat here in Anacortes. After speaking to the boat yards i will store the boat on the hard for them to complete the work then in April I will move the boat to a slip in Cap Sante to prepare it for our trip to Sitka. Thank everyone for your help and even the one comment that was .......

Back
Top Bottom