cockpit drain tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So my 79 Mainship Mark 1 has some leaking cockpit drain tubes.
They look to be exhaust type with wire and it seems to be overkill on above the waterline drains. I was thinking of going with bilge pump hose but looking for thoughts.

my thing with cockpit drains is to use smooth bore hose. corrugated hose builds up too much crud, especially where it might have a low spot. as long as the exit is above the water you can use just about any good quality hose.
i've got poly braid on mine.

Different boat but I too use a smooth bore hose. I USED a white sanitation hose up untill last year when I changed them all. Now they are a bilge hose but again smooth bore. I tried and succeeded in avoiding dips or low spots where debris and water can collect.

I also use my hose when boat washing to blast them every few washes. It is amazing what comes out.

I'm not sure how your '79 cockpit drains are plumbed but our '78 has a ,for lack of a better term, fiberglass manifold glassed underneath of the cockpit on each side. The forward and aft cockpit scuppers dump directly into this contraption and there's a port...correction... a hole on the side where the hose from the respective sides of the cockpit hatch drains get shoved into this manifold thing. From there, there's a fitting on the lowest part on the manifold thing that is plumbed into the scupper drains on each side of the cockpit. I really am not fond of this arrangement Mainship came up with & maybe yours is different.
When I get time, I will eliminate the cockpit hatch drains being plumbed into this system. The old generator port is unused so I have a plan to drain the cockpit hatch ports into the ex generator exhaust overboard port.
I don't know if it'll happen this year or not ,though.

So I think smooth hose makes sense .
it looks like the hatch drains have a Tee into the main deck drains so it looks like an ok setup. I still have a gen exhaust so my only option is.

I would look at Raritan SaniFlex hose. It is for holding tank plumbing but it is smooth bore and really flexible so it will be easier to work with than some of the other white smooth bore hose. It will be more expensive but if it is easier to work with what is that worth?

Easy to install is good. I need to work up ambition. Crawling in a tight space under the deck sounds like fun.

Understand that completely, the rear of my engine room is very tight and low. And the good news is that I have lots of work to do back there this winter.

Back
Top Bottom