Thread: Inverter tech
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #20
LeoKa
Guru

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Ironsides
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsholz View Post
What was the user error? Did you short the output or reverse polarity on the DC side?

These inverters are not very complex. The most common failure points are electrolytic capacitors and FET output switches. No schematic needed to replace those.

Unfortunately, electronic repairs are increasingly uneconomical due to labor costs unless the item is high value and/or impossible to replace.

Well the user error was a very stupid beginner’s mistake.
While I was hooking up the wires, my wrench socket came off the handle and fell inside the unit. This model has a small opening at the end, where you secure both AC and DC wires. The AC was already secured, when I was trying to bolt down the DC negative, when this happened. I was trying to shake the socket out of it, not realizing that the shore power switch was on, so AC was alive. While the socket inside (socket is about 3-4 inches long) was moving around, something shortened and the unit went blank. As I said, the AC was still going through the wires, but DC circuit died.
I was also looking for something burned inside, but I could not see anything. I suspect, some part on a board went out, which prevents functioning. There are 3 fuses 150A on the top of each other at the wiring section, but after testing them they looked fine.
LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote