Inverter tech

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LeoKa

Guru
Vessel Name
Ironsides
Vessel Make
54' Bruce Roberts steel sailboat hull, coastal LRC, 220HP CAT 3306.
Do you know any electronics tech in the PNW area, who is able to troubleshoot inverters? I have a Xantrex inverter/charger which is practically brand new, but it had a short during the installation. It was my mistake and I would pay a reasonable price for the repair, since it has never been used.
I have taken it to Xantrex authorized service center and I was told that there was nothing they could do. No details were given. Go figure.
I need someone who is willing to take the effort and go through the boards inside to see, which one is dead, or what parts?
Thanks. IMG_0763.jpgIMG_0708.jpgIMG_0762.jpg

Last edited:
There are companies and individuals online that fix all manner of boards. Probably whole units. Do a search.
I've had boards fixed from radar to electric appliances. It worked for me. Usual cost a few years ago was about $100.

The challenge is that if you can't see something burnt, it's unlikely anyone can figure out what was damaged. In order to do that type of work, you need schematics and diagnostic information from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers even go so far as to remove the component ID lettering from the individual components, and many surface mount components don't even have any identifying marks on them at all anyways.

Someone with experience can identify some basics, PTCs (auto resetting circuit breakers), fuses, etc... that are hard mounted on the boards and test/replace them, but if it isn't one of those things, it ranges from very hard to impossible without some level of support from the manufacturer. At some point you'd think we'd realize that making things repairable and last longer is the ultimate conservation tool.

A few years ago I took a defective Xantrex battery charger to their authorized repair person in my area. He couldn't fix it. He told me that Xantrex would not supply him with schematics or parts.

Go figure.

BTW: You say the unit is practically brand new so why not contact Xantrex for a warranty repair. You do not have to tell them it was your fault.

This repair video of a similar inverter might be of interest.

Start with the basics. If you shorted AC out there should be fuses. Just follow the AC out wires onto the circuit board.

Last edited:
A few years ago I took a defective Xantrex battery charger to their authorized repair person in my area. He couldn't fix it. He told me that Xantrex would not supply him with schematics or parts.

Go figure.

BTW: You say the unit is practically brand new so why not contact Xantrex for a warranty repair. You do not have to tell them it was your fault.

Been there, done that. I purchased my last Xantrex product with only a battery charger by them left on my boat. And when it fails it will not be replaced with another Xantrex product. Done with Xantrex!!!! There is better equipment available and for lesser cost.

There are companies and individuals online that fix all manner of boards. Probably whole units. Do a search.
I've had boards fixed from radar to electric appliances. It worked for me. Usual cost a few years ago was about $100.

I did search it but not many options are out there. Out of state maybe, but I try to avoid expensive shipping. The Xantrex service center already charged me 150 and I’ve got nothing for it.
I could replace a board myself, I just don’t know how to troubleshoot the inverter to located the bad part. Xantrex will not provide schema, which I could give to a tech.

The challenge is that if you can't see something burnt, it's unlikely anyone can figure out what was damaged. In order to do that type of work, you need schematics and diagnostic information from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers even go so far as to remove the component ID lettering from the individual components, and many surface mount components don't even have any identifying marks on them at all anyways.

Someone with experience can identify some basics, PTCs (auto resetting circuit breakers), fuses, etc... that are hard mounted on the boards and test/replace them, but if it isn't one of those things, it ranges from very hard to impossible without some level of support from the manufacturer. At some point you'd think we'd realize that making things repairable and last longer is the ultimate conservation tool.

Yes, Xantrex told me to buy a new one.

Go figure.

Warranty does not apply to ‘ user’s mishandling the unit ‘.

This repair video of a similar inverter might be of interest.

Start with the basics. If you shorted AC out there should be fuses. Just follow the AC out wires onto the circuit board.

Yes, I watched this one, when my Magnum died two years ago. (Was not my fault!)
The problem with this Xantrex that nothing comes on. So, it is difficult to troubleshoot it. The only thing works on it is the relay to allow AC to go in and out.

Toss it and buy a real inverter. You will spend as much trying to repair at $125-$150/hr. Plus you won't be able to get replacement board, even if you wanted to.

This thread suggests you have the defective unit. This thread https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s4/flickering-lights-when-fridge-runs-58075-3.html#post1045067 suggests Xantrex have it and agreed to refund your $. Are there 2 units, or something else?

Yes, that is a different model I bought this year. Two different units and threads.
The one we are talking about there is the latest model. As I have mentioned earlier, Xantrex told me to buy a new one, because the repair of this one would not be worth it. So I did.
Now I ended up buying two inverters and I have none. The first is in my possession but not working. The second one is returned for refund, but Xantrex is not giving my money back.
By the way, I have emails from Xantrex that my refund was approved for the one in that other thread, the latest model. They are just not sending the money. All I get from them is an answer like ‘ let me look into this and I’ll get back to you ‘. Of course they never do.

Toss it and buy a real inverter. You will spend as much trying to repair at $125-$150/hr. Plus you won't be able to get replacement board, even if you wanted to.

I would, but everything is in back order now. At least the good ones.

What was the user error? Did you short the output or reverse polarity on the DC side?

These inverters are not very complex. The most common failure points are electrolytic capacitors and FET output switches. No schematic needed to replace those.

Unfortunately, electronic repairs are increasingly uneconomical due to labor costs unless the item is high value and/or impossible to replace.

Last edited:
What was the user error? Did you short the output or reverse polarity on the DC side?

These inverters are not very complex. The most common failure points are electrolytic capacitors and FET output switches. No schematic needed to replace those.

Unfortunately, electronic repairs are increasingly uneconomical due to labor costs unless the item is high value and/or impossible to replace.

Well the user error was a very stupid beginner’s mistake.
While I was hooking up the wires, my wrench socket came off the handle and fell inside the unit. This model has a small opening at the end, where you secure both AC and DC wires. The AC was already secured, when I was trying to bolt down the DC negative, when this happened. I was trying to shake the socket out of it, not realizing that the shore power switch was on, so AC was alive. While the socket inside (socket is about 3-4 inches long) was moving around, something shortened and the unit went blank. As I said, the AC was still going through the wires, but DC circuit died.
I was also looking for something burned inside, but I could not see anything. I suspect, some part on a board went out, which prevents functioning. There are 3 fuses 150A on the top of each other at the wiring section, but after testing them they looked fine.

While I was hooking up the wires, my wrench socket came off the handle and fell inside the unit. This model has a small opening at the end, where you secure both AC and DC wires. The AC was already secured, when I was trying to bolt down the DC negative, when this happened. I was trying to shake the socket out of it, not realizing that the shore power switch was on, so AC was alive. While the socket inside (socket is about 3-4 inches long) was moving around, something shortened and the unit went blank. As I said, the AC was still going through the wires, but DC circuit died.
I was also looking for something burned inside, but I could not see anything. I suspect, some part on a board went out, which prevents functioning. There are 3 fuses 150A on the top of each other at the wiring section, but after testing them they looked fine.

Extremely unlikely you will be able to fix it given what happened unless you can find a burnt component. This sounds like low level control circuitry was damaged and that won't be visible or repairable. One option is to try to find another 'dead' unit an swap boards until one of them starts working, if you can find another dead unit that is. You can search ebay for boards if they have a part number on them. I have repaired LCD TVs this way, there are scrappers that take electronics apart and put the guts on ebay, the trick is it needs to have some kind of part number to search on.

Extremely unlikely you will be able to fix it given what happened unless you can find a burnt component. This sounds like low level control circuitry was damaged and that won't be visible or repairable. One option is to try to find another 'dead' unit an swap boards until one of them starts working, if you can find another dead unit that is. You can search ebay for boards if they have a part number on them. I have repaired LCD TVs this way, there are scrappers that take electronics apart and put the guts on ebay, the trick is it needs to have some kind of part number to search on.

Thanks for the great news! Lol
Anyway, I have nothing to loose. I will look into this swap method and who knows, maybe I’ll get lucky.
I will need to buy another inverter and I did. It is just on back order.

One circuit board component very easily fried from reverse polarity is diodes. And they can often be checked without removing from the circuit board. If there is nothing burned, and none of the capacitors have expanded, that is where I would focus my efforts. Between replacing diodes and capacitors, I have had pretty good success in bringing circuit boards back to life (at least those that didn't suffer water damage and didn't show visible burning -- and as to burning, don't just look, use your sense of smell, too).

Sounds like you put 120V into the DC side. This will for sure blow the input capacitors (they are probably only rated for 25V for a 12V inverter). Take a close look at the caps on the DC input side. Any bulging? Measure resistance on the DC input side. Probably shorted. Remove the caps. Still shorted? Then probably also the input FETs. The caps are easy to replace, so are the input FETs/transistors if you are handy with the soldering iron. Of course, there could be additional damage.

Due to the shortage of employees and parts. I think it highly unlikely that you will be able to find anyone to work on it and if you do you will most likely find no parts available. Your best bet is probably to put it on ebay as is and hope some one else is desperately looking for parts and gladly buys your mistake.

Due to the shortage of employees and parts. I think it highly unlikely that you will be able to find anyone to work on it and if you do you will most likely find no parts available. Your best bet is probably to put it on ebay as is and hope some one else is desperately looking for parts and gladly buys your mistake.

While I was hooking up the wires, my wrench socket came off the handle and fell inside the unit.

Do you think they owe you anything for destroying you own new unit?

Do you think they owe you anything for destroying you own new unit?

You need read the thread from the beginning. This inverter is not the one which is being refunded. I have no claim on this one. I just hoped someone could fix it, because I could use this one, until I get the refund for the other one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom