Shortage of distilled water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Go figure! I'm in Washington State, and I've been trying to find distilled water now for almost two weeks. Need to top off my batteries . . . and get some for my CPAP machine. So far, the following stores have been out and have no idea when they will receive more: Walmart (3 different stores)

• Safeway
  • Fred Meyer
  • Nex, Bangor
  • Commissary
  • Albertsons
  • Autozone
  • Napa
  • Big Lots
I've tried a few other places as well, but no luck.
I can't find any valid reason for the shortage. Anyone have any idea besides it's all in hoader's garages along with a 200 year supply of toilet paper and Lysol?:banghead:

It is surprising what isn’t in stock. Who would have thought that distilled water would be out of stock.

When I use to need it for batteries, I would buy it at Walmart.

Ted

Greetings,
Mr. s. Long shot but... Give your local university chemistry department a call. Perhaps they can supply a couple of gallons. Science facilities probably have an on site distillery (water).

Plenty of it here on the East Coast !!!

I sometimes suspect a lot of these shortages are phony so they can raise the price.
I never worried about the TP shortage. WM had and has LOTS
Paper towel..... that can be a problem.
Guess one could go to an auto parts store and buy the high priced paper shop toweling.

I have always gone to my local pharmacy. May have to go back a week later. It they are out I will ask them to get more for me.

We sold a four br two bath pacific coast beach house early this year. When we cleaned it out... in the huge garage we found the equivalent of three 3' x 3' cardboard boxes in the upper storage platform that were filled with tp rolls and some pt rolls too. That = 3 cubic yards of rolled paper!

Things get stashed during a period of 35 yrs... and, we know just which family member stashed it. Unfortunately he passed some 15 years ago. Our bathroom and kitchen rolled paper needs are now well accounted for! :dance:

What the heck this has to do with distilled water... not too much... Except! Just mentioning another product that seems to go short of supply on store shelves.

Last edited:
Go figure! I'm in Washington State, and I've been trying to find distilled water now for almost two weeks. Need to top off my batteries . . . and get some for my CPAP machine. So far, the following stores have been out and have no idea when they will receive more: Walmart (3 different stores)

• Safeway
  • Fred Meyer
  • Nex, Bangor
  • Commissary
  • Albertsons
  • Autozone
  • Napa
  • Big Lots
I've tried a few other places as well, but no luck.
I can't find any valid reason for the shortage. Anyone have any idea besides it's all in hoader's garages along with a 200 year supply of toilet paper and Lysol?:banghead:

i'm out at the coast this weekend, i can look here to see if there's any. i might have a couple of gallons on my boat in olympia too.

If you have AC on board, run your air conditioning and use the distillate to fill your empty jugs. I do this in Mexico and always have plenty of free distilled water on hand.

Cheers, Bill

Duh, I didn't think of AC distillate, or in my case, the distillate from my dehumidifier on the boat . . . just dumped out a gallon this AM, and didn't even connect the two!:banghead:
Okay, my distilled water shortage just got solved! Thanks to all for the input . . .

As to why there is a shortage to begin with, I still have no idea. HOWEVER, on the idea that it is an engineered shortage to raise prices, I offer this thought . . .
Everyone was also out of "Purified Spring Water" in gallon jugs due to "supply issues", but most everyone had lots and LOTS of bottled water in smaller containers at much higher prices . . . Coincidence or by design?!?:whistling:

Second vote for Wallyworld. My local one always seems to have it.

Second vote for Wallyworld. My local one always seems to have it.

We've been to the Wally world in Port Orchard, Silverdale, and one in Tacoma . . . all out of distilled water. I just forgot to mention it on my post.

Just bought 2 gallons at a WinCo, store nearest my boat in Pittsburg, CA. They had plenty.

On a side note, all the water in small plastic containers have a shelf line of 1 year.

On a side note, all the water in small plastic containers have a shelf line of 1 year.

Then the water turns into a solid... becomes pink... begins to boil... How are they different in 366 days compared to 3651/4 days? Does the plastic then too-much infiltrate the water???

Or is that date just a fail-safe schedule to place on bottled water so nobody such as manufacturer, dealer, retail seller and govt law makers can ever get sued by anyone who may decide to blame their ailment on - CLEAR WATER!

:facepalm::facepalm: :dance: :lol: :rofl:

iu

Our sophisticated Melbourne to Sydney boat deliverers left a salt grinder containing this very product onboard. Despite now attaining 250,001 years of age, blessed by the Dalai Lama, it has seasoned a number of steaks with no negative consequences.

Ah yup, 1 year. Dont ask me how or why. Maybe it is the taste test? Personally, it I were thirsty, I'd risk it.

Maybe there is some sort of Federal Law? I would not be surprised.
I know there is the other 'notice', "Best if used by...."

Why doesn’t really matter it is what it is ,it should be a wake up call for a lot of people ,we’ve had it very good in this country for over 100 years now ,my grandparents were much more self-reliant than I’ve been ,I don’t know about you But this is been a wake up call for me ,politics aside The coronavirus pandemic was way over blown not really even a pandemic as far as I’m concerned ,but that’s where I sit it might be different for somebody else ,if there was ever a real pandemic ,the least of your problems would be distilled water and toilet paper you might want to think about that, just saying

https://www.consumerreports.org/bottled-water/can-you-drink-expired-bottled-water-a4412553232/

"Newark temporarily halted the distribution of the bottled water out of an abundance of caution to “get clarity” on the significance of the best-by date, Newark’s mayor, Ras Baraka, said at a news conference.

“The U.S. FDA [Food and Drug Administration] verified for us . . . that the water is okay,” Baraka said, according to a video of his remarks.

Donna Leusner, director of communications for New Jersey’s Department of Health, says the date on the first shipment of water sent to Newark was a best-by date that some bottlers use to assist in managing inventory control."

Reactions: Art
I don't know about the purity or taste of drinking water in your area but here in Northern Wisconsin the water contains chemicals which cause cancer. Plus the taste is not good.

I purchased a water distiller from Amazon. it is surprising the amount of calcium and crud which remain in the distiller after distilling out a gallon. The distilled water tastes great and has no chemicals in it.

Consider getting one for all your distilled water needs. We use about two to three gallons a day between coffee, drinking water and lemonade.

pete

Back
Top Bottom