View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 10:57 PM   #43
cat38skip

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Hale Moana & Pretty Lady
Vessel Model: 1988 Californian 48 CPMY & 1982 Catalina 38 Sloop
I just happened to be searching the HIN for a Banshee sailing dinghy that I recently acquired and as long I was down the rabbit hole, I started entering the HIN that you provided. If you remove the '34T' and search the remaining 12 character number, a valid history is returned. I was using 2 sites. https://www.marinetitle.com and https://hindecoder.com
The latter provided the following information:
Success! MCP00359M79J is of the standard HIN type called Model-Year HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the Boat-Alert History for 19.99$ from this certified boat history report provider.
MCP = Maine Cat (In Business)
00359 = Boat Serial Number
M = HIN format is Model-Year. Always has M at position nine (1972-1984)
79J = Production date May 1979HIN Decoder Details for MCP00359M79J:

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Model-Year HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 00359 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (1979) and a Model Year of 1979 with month of build (May) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .
The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is MCP. This MIC (MCP) stands for the company name Maine Cat which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (MCP sometimes goes by these name(s) Master Craft Plastics (11/82), , , or ).
This company (Maine Cat) is owned by Dick Vermeulen and is located at Po Box 205 in Bremen state of Me. It manufactured this vessel and placed your HIN or CIN on the hull. This Boat maker is not owned by a parent company. Maine Cat has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 12/2/1993.
The Model Name is uncertain for this Maine Cat. But we have approximations: Trawler.
Contribute a better one to the database please:
Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.
The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: Mic Previously Assigned To Master Craft Plastics 00b 11/22/82. 08/06/97 Mail Returned No Forwarding Address. 12/2/99 Moved. Old Address Rr1 Box 828 Coopers Mills Me 04341 0511008 Ppg: Former Address: P.o. Box 645, Waldoboro, Me 04572.
UsedHINMCP00359M79JIsValidYes - Integrity Check PassedHINTypeModelYearSerialNo00359Year1979IsStateIssuedNoCompanyMaine CatCompanyStatusIn BusinessCompanyAddressBremen Me Po Box 205Website#http://www.mecat.com/#
We did a search and no official Documentation Number for MCP00359M79J was found at the USCG.More details at the US Coast Guard.