View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 05:03 PM   #10
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
cdepret, welcome.

My current boat was sold by the prior owner due to Parkinson's. Walking down the dock with him as we went to look at the boat was frightening due to his balance issues. As Hippo said, have folks keep an honest eye on you and be ready to make changes as needed. BTW, Hippo is a professional in this area so trust his thoughts more than the rest of us.

I'm a former sailor who moved to a trawler. To be honest, I think in any kind of choppy seas, a sailboat is much easier to stay on your feet than in a trawler. A sailboat has a more predictable motion and the hull shape and sail dampen it quite a bit. So don't count on a powerboat to provide a steady, level surface. Even in protected inland waterways, boat wakes can be very significant.

Having said all that, don't be afraid to give it a try. Before buying, you may want to try chartering a few times. My own experience with family and friends with Parkinson's is that the course of the disease is highly variable. Be bold, be wise, and be flexible in your plans.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote