Mark 1 HIN location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well the hin on the boat is MCP00359M79J34T
And no the MCP is no a typo.

That number is also NOT on my list. 358 and 360 are but not 359.

It would not surprise me that Mainship stamped the lettering incorrectly.

I did find another in my list that is like that MCP01031M81F40T (a 40 Nantucket with twin Perkins 165s originally)

Well, ALL the HINs that were logged into the file that we had in the Yahoo site were MPC. With the one exception of STN.
They actually started using MPT when they started making the 350 models in 1997. According to the file i have from the yahoo group.
Mainship always did wacky stuff.

Here's a few from the older ones 77 and 78 model years.

Mine was hull 26 and I think it has the longest HIN

MPC00001M77x34T
STN90002M77B34T
MPC00003M77x34T
MPC00011M77x34T
MPC00013M77H34T
MPC00015M77I34T
MPC00016M77I34T
MPC00019M77I34T
MPC00022M77I34T
MPC00024M77J34T
MPC00026M77J7834T
MPC00034M78A34T
MPC00041M78A34T
MPC00046M78A34T
MPC00053M78B34T

Very unlike the format of our '87 Mk III. Ours was MPC34127I687, more similar to the format Silverton (et al, I think) eventually adopted.

Ours was built in Marlboro, NJ. Apparently started on the 13th month (???) of 1986 as a 1987 model.

Presumably hull #127 -- or maybe 27, since the Luhrs people were a bit cagey about stuff like that. OTOH, 127 sounds feasible given your earlier numbers.

-Chris

There are no 1987 34s in my list.
The last 86 model III in the list has a serial number MPC34122J58634III
So they must have changed in formats for1987.

The Coast Guard requires Hull ID numbers, I believe this requirement started with the 1973 model year. There is the transom number and another hidden number. It can be anywhere, we've found them under bolted on bow pulpits for example.

For Mainship;
MPC - MAINSHIP CORP 255 DIESEL RD ST AUGUSTINE FL
MPT - MAINSHIP CORPORATION 3O1 RIVERSIDE DRIVE MILLVILLE NJ

HINs By The Numbers;

A typical hull identification number (HIN) consists of 12 letters and numbers, as in ABC12345D404.

Here's what the letters and numbers mean:

ABC: This is the U.S. Coast Guard-assigned manufacturer identification code (MIC). Go to the USCG Manufacturers Indentification page to access the Coast Guard's MIC database.
https://uscgboating.org/content/manufacturers-identification.php

12345: This is the serial number assigned to the hull by the manufacturer. This may be a combination of letters and numbers. The letters "I," "O," and "Q" are excluded because they could be mistaken for numbers.

D: This is the month of certification, indicating the month in which construction began. "A" represents January and "L" represents December. In our example, "D" means April.

4: This is the year of certification. The number is the last digit of the year in which the boat was built. "4" in this case designates 2004.

04: This indicates the boat's model year.

The MKIII has the "hidden" HIN in the forepeak. The MKI was built before the second HIN was required.

James Curry SAMS AMS

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter, post you HIN and Ii might be able to tell who else owned the boat at some point.

Jay,
Just bought STN90001M77B34T. Could we be hull #1?
Thanks,
Jeff

Endoscope

If it ever becomes necessary or just helpful to look beneath the engine, or behind a tank, etc. USB "snake" style endoscope / boroscopes have become ridiculously cheap, at Home Depot or online.

I've had my endoscope for about 5 years and used it many times at home and on the boat. Great Tool.

For my American Tug, I stumbled upon my 2nd location.... pulled the fridge out for other reasons and presto, there it was, clear as day.

Jay,
Just bought STN90001M77B34T. Could we be hull #1?
Thanks,
Jeff

This is what my file says was hull #1
MPC00001M77x34T 1977 Sea Perch Seattle, WA

This was hull#2

STN90002M77B34T 1977 High Flight Kent, WA

But your serial number is more like #2 with STN and B

MY guess is that hulls #1 and #2 were built in the Silverton facility.

The one in my file was the first one built at Mainship's facility.

Just a guess.

So technically yours is probably the real #1

I never saw any of the STN boats, I wonder what's different?

Merely an observation.
Sadly, over the years, so many good boat companies have gone out of business.
With their demise all the original information has disappeared.

Thankfully, with the user groups one stands a very good chance of getting a copy of the "Owner's Manuals" if one is willing to pay to have them duplicated.

This is what my file says was hull #1
MPC00001M77x34T 1977 Sea Perch Seattle, WA

This was hull#2

STN90002M77B34T 1977 High Flight Kent, WA

But your serial number is more like #2 with STN and B

MY guess is that hulls #1 and #2 were built in the Silverton facility.

The one in my file was the first one built at Mainship's facility.

Just a guess.

So technically yours is probably the real #1

I never saw any of the STN boats, I wonder what's different?

Thanks. Exciting to think we may have hull #1. With regard to what may be different, my gen set is in cockpit lazarette. Original vee berth was an over under which has since been redone to a large vee.

Thanks. Exciting to think we may have hull #1. With regard to what may be different, my gen set is in cockpit lazarette. Original vee berth was an over under which has since been redone to a large vee.

I had hull #26 and had an over/under bunk. All the 1977/1978 boats I went aboard had that at least originally.
My genset was under the salon floor aft of the engine as were all the ones I ever saw.
So that is one difference.

I just happened to be searching the HIN for a Banshee sailing dinghy that I recently acquired and as long I was down the rabbit hole, I started entering the HIN that you provided. If you remove the '34T' and search the remaining 12 character number, a valid history is returned. I was using 2 sites. https://www.marinetitle.com and https://hindecoder.com
The latter provided the following information:
Success! MCP00359M79J is of the standard HIN type called Model-Year HIN. If you are buying this boat/craft then you should get the Boat-Alert History for 19.99$ from this certified boat history report provider.​
MCP = Maine Cat (In Business)
00359 = Boat Serial Number
M = HIN format is Model-Year. Always has M at position nine (1972-1984)
79J = Production date May 1979HIN Decoder Details for MCP00359M79J:

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:
The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Model-Year HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 00359 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (1979) and a Model Year of 1979 with month of build (May) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .
The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is MCP. This MIC (MCP) stands for the company name Maine Cat which is currently In Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (MCP sometimes goes by these name(s) Master Craft Plastics (11/82), , , or ).​
This company (Maine Cat) is owned by Dick Vermeulen and is located at Po Box 205 in Bremen state of Me. It manufactured this vessel and placed your HIN or CIN on the hull. This Boat maker is not owned by a parent company. Maine Cat has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 12/2/1993.​
The Model Name is uncertain for this Maine Cat. But we have approximations: Trawler.
Contribute a better one to the database please:
Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.​
The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: Mic Previously Assigned To Master Craft Plastics 00b 11/22/82. 08/06/97 Mail Returned No Forwarding Address. 12/2/99 Moved. Old Address Rr1 Box 828 Coopers Mills Me 04341 0511008 Ppg: Former Address: P.o. Box 645, Waldoboro, Me 04572.​
UsedHINMCP00359M79JIsValidYes - Integrity Check PassedHINTypeModelYearSerialNo00359Year1979IsStateIssuedNoCompanyMaine CatCompanyStatusIn BusinessCompanyAddressBremen Me Po Box 205Website#http://www.mecat.com/#
We did a search and no official Documentation Number for MCP00359M79J was found at the USCG.More details at the US Coast Guard.

I was looking at a 79 Mk1 hull # MPC00332M79I on paperwork but no numbers on transom. A white hull with a small tan rectangle with out gel coat but no numbers molded in. It had a an engraved plate missing the I (last character) and that covered the rectangle. Was leary to get involved in it. Would like to know where 2nd hidden hull number is to verify if it is the correct hull. Being pre 84 I don't know if it would have a 2nd hidden number. Too bad as I really liked it.

Trawla
I have never seen a published list of location(s) for the 2nd HIN.
It can be very hidden as under / behind equipment etc.
It may not have a 2nd HIN for that V era
Do I understand correctly that the plate it still attached?
Is it whole or possible the end has broken off? Is there room to add / engrave a I ?
Is Is state registered or Documented?
What paperwork is available with HIN?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Second HIN

Our MK1 has a wooden plank with the HIN # attached to the strb side under the shower in bilge with access from the small hatch in front of the step.Looks like a factory install to me.There is also a HIN # molded into the transom strb side top corner. Now,I’m curious to see if they match.

The second HIN was hidden so LE could identify a stolen boat. The boat manufacturer would supply the hidden location, but only to LE. I came across one in a Carver that I had the engines out of. It was on one of the main stringers under the engine where it couldn’t be seen without a mirror or such.

The plate was in the usual hin location on the upper starboard side of the transom just below the rub rail. When looking for the molded hin I pulled the plate to see if it was firmly attached and it fell off. It is a state transferable registration which is the equivalent of a title. The hin is correct as far as format and information but I could not find any numbers anywhere on the hull. How do I know if the paperwork goes with that hull. Very odd that the hin is missing from the usual location. It doesn't look like a repair was done on the transom or any other part of the hull but it is a 43 year old boat. The current owner is out of state for the winter and doesn't know what I found yet. I know who owner bought the boat from. He bought it 5 years ago but never registered or put ownership in his name. It is still in the previous owners name. The previous owner signed it over but the current owner never signed it. The previous owners son told me it didn't have the transom hin when his father bought it in 1992 so his father had the plate made and put it on himself. When I asked how he knew everything was on the up and up he said his father bought the boat from a local police officer and didn't think anything funny about it. It is a project boat I can pick up for a good deal but I don't want the headaches or possibility of it being confiscated after putting a lot of time and money into it. I'll take a look under the shower in the bilge as someone said they saw a hin in there mk1 to see if I can verify it in fact is the matching hull to the paperwork.

Is there anyway in the files referencing hull 332 ?
From the link I posted above & https://hindecoder.com/manufacturers-directory/detail.php?HIN=MPC00332M79I
MPC = Mainship
For that era & format the hull serial # is 5 digits... 00332
The date format indicated by the M is designated as 79 and I = April (April 1979)

HIN Decoder Details for MPC00332M79I:

Our HULL ID Decoder breaks down the Hull identification number into the following information:

The HIN or CIN you have entered meets the Model-Year HIN format. It might also be a type that contains the country code and thus the boat comes from USA or Other . The serial number of the HIN is 00332 and is set by the boat builder. This boat or vessel has a Certification Date of (1979) and a Model Year of 1979 with month of build (April) based on the formatting of your hull_identification_number (HIN) .

The manufacturer identification code (MIC) of your craft identification number (CIN or HIN) is MPC. This MIC (MPC) stands for the company name Mainship Corp which is currently Out of Business. This boat manufacturer has other company names (MPC sometimes goes by these name(s) Luhrs, , , or ). This could happen if the US Coast Guard reissued the MIC to a new company after one went out of business.

This company (Mainship Corp) is owned by Jim Schuessler and is located at 255 Diesel Rd in St Augustine state of Fl. It manufactured this vessel and placed your HIN or CIN on the hull. The Parent Company for this boat maker is SILVERTON YACHT(STN)Mainship Corp has started making boats, yachts and other watercraft as of 12/9/1976 and went out of business on (1/1/1996) in the following country: USA.

The*Model Name is*34T*for this Mainship Corp. Feel free to suggest a correction:*

Make sure to compare the date of boat manufacturing with the dates in which the company was actually in business.

The US Coast guard provides this comment about this watercraft manufacturer: See Also (lhr) & (stn). Bsc 72 Update 911016; Formerly In Nj. Cg-5093 Mso Jac 920220 Mainship Corp Separate Corp Since Mid 80s As Per Ltr 4/92. 970422 Changed Poc Was Roger Yarborough. 990616 Company Is Not Out Of Business; In Feb 1996 Began Using Mic (mpt) Without Authorization. See Mic File Under Mpt For List Of Hins..

UsedHIN MPC00332M79I IsValid Yes
Is Valid MIC Yes
HIN Type ModelYear
SerialNo 00332
ModelName 34T
Year 1979
Is State Issued No
Company Mainship Corp
Company Status Out of Business
Company Address St Auustine Fl 255 Diesel Rd
Website
We did a search and no U.S. Official Documentation Number for MPC00332M79I was found at the USCG.
We searched the Official Transport Canada database and MPC00332M79I did not have a match.

More details at the*US Coast Guard.

If you are purchasing this boat/hull then get the*Boat History here. Finally, get it insured and make sure it does not have over-priced insurance by getting*Multiple Quotes for Boat Insurance. Oh, don't forget,*Order engraved HIN Tag ID Plate from ebay.[https://www]*and*Order custom vinyl registration decal from ebay.[https://www]*to be placed on the hull if needed.

Last edited:
I was looking at a 79 Mk1 hull # MPC00332M79I on paperwork but no numbers on transom. A white hull with a small tan rectangle with out gel coat but no numbers molded in. It had a an engraved plate missing the I (last character) and that covered the rectangle. Was leary to get involved in it. Would like to know where 2nd hidden hull number is to verify if it is the correct hull. Being pre 84 I don't know if it would have a 2nd hidden number. Too bad as I really liked it.

I wonder if the HIN for all the other 34s of that era were attached on an engraved plate that way. If so, my guess is that what you have is probably legit.

I can't remember how the HIN on our '87 appeared, whether attached plate or molded in. (I only have one decent pic of the stern, not a close-up... and I can't make out a stamping... but I also don't see anything attached.) I do know the HIN format changed for '87, and ours was in the same format as current HINs.

Given a '79 model, I'd bet the 332 doesn't mean actual produced hull number 332. More like 32, probably with a leading 3 (and Luhrs Group companies did that on other models too).

-Chris

My Silverton, also under the same corporation that made Mainships, had it on a 3X5 card glassed to the inside of the transom.

Well this is exciting. I just purchased Hull #2! The “High Flight” now named the Getaway. My genset is also under the cockpit. STN90002M77B Is my hull number. Im very excited to come across this information and look forward to have more discussions about these hulls.

Well this is exciting. I just purchased Hull #2! The “High Flight” now named the Getaway. My genset is also under the cockpit. STN90002M77B Is my hull number. Im very excited to come across this information and look forward to have more discussions about these hulls.

Welcome aboard.

What happens if you find the "Other" HIN and it is correct? Now you have a boat with two different HINs. I had similar issue with a truck that had incorrect VIN on registration for 20 years. I finally wanted to sell the truck and went to DMV and had to show the truck and they changed the paperwork. That would be my advice, change the paperwork to match the HIN on the transom. If you can't find the other HIN, probably no one else will either.

Hello Getaway. We are STN hull #1 (post you quoted). Very exciting to now know about hulls #1 and 2! Look forward to more discussions as well.

Well, ALL the HINs that were logged into the file that we had in the Yahoo site were MPC. With the one exception of STN.
They actually started using MPT when they started making the 350 models in 1997. According to the file i have from the yahoo group.
Mainship always did wacky stuff.

Here's a few from the older ones 77 and 78 model years.

Mine was hull 26 and I think it has the longest HIN

MPC00001M77x34T
STN90002M77B34T
MPC00003M77x34T
MPC00011M77x34T
MPC00013M77H34T
MPC00015M77I34T
MPC00016M77I34T
MPC00019M77I34T
MPC00022M77I34T
MPC00024M77J34T
MPC00026M77J7834T
MPC00034M78A34T
MPC00041M78A34T
MPC00046M78A34T
MPC00053M78B34T

Hi Jay, I am the owner of hull number STN90002M77B34T. Now named the Getaway previously the High Flight. The gentleman I purchased it from bought it out of WA in 2019 from an older gentleman who fell I’ll. He did say the older gentleman knew it was hull number 2. That gives me hope there is some documentation across the forums of this boat. Do you know any of the previous owners of this hull?

Hi Jay, I am the owner of hull number STN90002M77B34T. Now named the Getaway previously the High Flight. The gentleman I purchased it from bought it out of WA in 2019 from an older gentleman who fell I’ll. He did say the older gentleman knew it was hull number 2. That gives me hope there is some documentation across the forums of this boat. Do you know any of the previous owners of this hull?

This is from the only data I still have. From 12/2006. This was the "older gentleman" I'm sure.

STN90002M77B34T 1977 High Flight Kent, WA Melrose, Alan & Bev

s there anyway in the files referencing hull 332 ?

This number is not in my list. I have 328 then 333. This was all voluntary submissions from members of the Yahoo forum at the time so there are many gaps.

Last edited:
On the AT34s the super secret 2nd HIN location is behind the fridge.

Back
Top Bottom