Yarmar 6LY-STE oil change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iggy

Guru
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler 40
This may seam like an odd question. I just changed the engine oil for the first time for me. I bought the boat last Dec. and the seller did it than.

Anyways, I drained the oil from the pan. BUT I thought the oil filter would drain back into the pan too. It didn't!! It was a small mess. Do I need to wait longer, put a small hole into the filter so air can get in, or is there something I am missing?

Thanks!!

Not an odd question at all. Its quite the mess! I put a hole in my filter to let it drain out. I did my first oil change a weekend after I had my bilge spotless. FUN TIMES

-Rich

I remove fill cap,, spin the filter off a 1/4 - 1/2 turn to let some air enter at top. I then punch a hole in top outer end and let it drain as much as possible.
I rotate filter another 1/2 turn and catch any remaining oil before removing completely. I still slip a gal bag over the filter to contain it ASAP.
I get some dribble into the sump but usually not enough to run out the drain tube. A paper towel or two cleans it up.
You can also just crack the filter and let it drain into the sump as long as you have the hose attached, and into a container w/o any kinks.

Thank you all.

I did use an oil pad that works great to clean up. But I did not expect so much to come out. Thank god for the oil pads!!

I all use a bad next time.

Iggy,
I am assuming the oil filter on that engine is "side mounted". If so, too bad, I much prefer the mount with the opening "up". Way less spillage with those. If side mount, I suggest loosening the filter a bit, then drilling a hole in the top rather than "hammering in a nail", then spinning the filter so the hole is down and drain into a container. Then encase the filter in a plastic bag, (I use ziplock) and remove. It sometimes takes a bit of "fiddling" but you can catch almost all of the oil that way with very little spillage. Pads can catch any that escape, or just "wipe it up".

If the filter screws on from the bottom, just place the bag over it and "take it off".
Just some suggestions.

Poking a hole in the filters helps. Also notice under the filter housing Yanmar molded in a valley that catches the dripped oil. Aft of that you should have a nipple, attach appropriate hose to that and you can catch most of the oil that drains into the valley under the filter. Mop up the rest with a rag.

Thank you to everyone.

Next time, I will dill a 1/4" hole on the back side. Place a bag over the fliter and spin and spin it 180 degrees and drain it

You'll have to show me next time we're both in the yard. Fun times!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom