2022 TF Gathering - SE FL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course, the year wouldn’t be the same without the party in February. I am told the lake passage will be closed for repairs so those on the west coast will have to take the Keys route (which I prefer) or come overland and get a hotel room
Don is feeling better and may travel down from Georgia. Ted may come the Keys route or by land and he has a bunk on my boat. Covid has been a problem but I imagine most have had the vax so we should be safe like last year.
I suggest we pick the weekend after the close of the Miami Boat Show as the last two years, members can attend the show and still make our gathering.
Any input is appreciated. Thanks

I was just informed of a wedding I have to attend in February. I am hoping it does not fall on the same dates, I have been looking forward to taking my boat up..

We all hope you do. Checking the calendar the weekend of Feb 25 appears best unless we have a lot of resistance. Hopefully that will work for all.

I vote that whomever offers to bring the most food and liquor gets to pick the date...I will certainly contribute....but doubt I would win for hosting.

The only exception is anyone who buys my boat....:D

Last edited:
Scott. First Don, then Larry and now you. My friends owning boats is shrinking. Not good.

I am told the lake passage will be closed for repairs so those on the west coast will have to take the Keys route (which I prefer)...

Ok, so where is the navigable water on this "Keys Route ", or do I have to go out and around the Dry Tortugas? I just came out of the boatyard with fresh bottom paint and a wax job. I'd like to keep paint on the keel past February if I could.

Ted

Wifey B: Call to order. Roberts Rules of Order say you can not discuss 2022 gathering in thread titled 2021 TF Gathering. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Parliamentarian objects and suggests that it is time for one of you to start the 2022 TF Gathering in SE FL thread and then add the dates to the title when determined. :rofl:

It is really time and would be worthwhile. :)

WifeyB. If I knew how I would try.

Ted. Easy leave your dock and when you hit the gulf turn south, past Flamingo you will come to the Yacht Channel near Marathon where you will find the ICW heading north all the way to Ft Pierce. Easy deal.

New 2022 TF Gathering thread

Moved! :socool:

Thanks. Much appreciated

Ok, so where is the navigable water on this "Keys Route ", or do I have to go out and around the Dry Tortugas? I just came out of the boatyard with fresh bottom paint and a wax job. I'd like to keep paint on the keel past February if I could.

Ted

Ted....I had no issues 3 years ago from Channel five at Lower Mata umber Key all the way north.

Unless you want to sightsee but it is a PIA generally to do the ICW from Lake Worth Inlet south to Biscane Bay.

I would recommend for you if weather cooperates to ride the G Stream or take Hawks channel to Biscane Bay and come in near Key Biscayne then go back out to Lake Worth at least.

The nice thing though about the inside is not as many weather worries and anchoring in zBiscayne Bay can be a treat as often the water is near crystal clear.

Scott. First Don, then Larry and now you. My friends owning boats is shrinking. Not good.

I might get a 14 foot aluminum skiff that I can use with the motorhome. I am all excited after someone told me a story about going to Bimini in something similar. :D

WifeyB. If I knew how I would try.

Ted. Easy leave your dock and when you hit the gulf turn south, past Flamingo you will come to the Yacht Channel near Marathon where you will find the ICW heading north all the way to Ft Pierce. Easy deal.

Looks like 300 miles each way. I don't know which is worse, driving the ditch from Miami to Stuart or going outside in the calm winds of February in SE FL. :facepalm:

Ted

Have you done that stretch of ICW Ted?

If you havent......

Up to Ft Laud isn't too bad....try not on weekends from what others say...I never cared after the NJ ICW all summer towing.

So if you can hole up in Lauderdale for a decent day to Lake Worth....that trip doesn't choke ya too bad.

Ted from Marathon you can go outside inside the reef or inside the keys mainland (ICW). I usually go outside from Miami to Palm Beach to avoid many bridges and then take the ICW to Ft Pierce. It’s faster to go ocean side the entire way, get in the Stream and run the autopilot all the way.

Ted from Marathon you can go outside inside the reef or inside the keys mainland (ICW). I usually go outside from Miami to Palm Beach to avoid many bridges and then take the ICW to Ft Pierce. It’s faster to go ocean side the entire way, get in the Stream and run the autopilot all the way.

You've traveled behind me before, there is no fast, faster, or fastest. I believe the term is less slow. :blush:

Ted

Certainly, staying behind you requires a sea anchor or taking the engines out or gear. lol

Newbie curiosity

Hmmm.... so what is this TF gathering of which you speak? I am new to the forum. I have always been more of the sportfishing crowd but my wife and I have recently been adopted by Destiny a Mainship 40 and are exploring the world of trawlers...

Just FWIW....

I could argue a bit later... like in mid to late March. Perhaps the Okee lock would be open and/or hope it would be open for the return. That's a Loooooong hike around the tip of Fl and makes it pretty close to a 4 week trip.

I've been trying to make it for the past few years, but an annual ski trip got in the way.

For folks on the Loop, late March would work great for the beginning of their trip.... not so much in Feb.

It traditionally has been a gathering of members at Ft Pierce City Marina some time in Feb.

There is no real structure, lecture, education, etc...etc...just members getting together for a good time. It's mostly happy hours and dinners together but the are daytime excursions...

Suggest you go back and look at previous years threads to get the gist of it.

You are certainly welcome......

For others, the time and place is not written in stone, but the roots have been with the originators for a few years now and when something gets organized...it never seems like any place or time satisfies everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua. If you read the various threads on the gathering you’ll get the idea but it’s group of member who get together for a few days of adventure, opportunity and fun and games. We go to dinner a few times as a group. Have cocktails on a different boat each night. We use the city marina at Ft Pierce and if the past hold true all appear to have a great time.

I’m sure some others will provide more details. Hope you can make it as it is a short trip for you.

The Miami Boat Show (Back at the MB Convention Center and in-water at Herald Plaza this year) is Feb. 16 - 20th. Not sure if this is a relevant date to adjoin or perhaps work around.

Yes Judy it was decided years ago to either go before of after the Miami boat show. We have gone after the boat show for the last few years. No matter what date is chosen some will not be happy. Lol

OK, you’ve smoked me out. What are the dates for this auspicious occasion. Provided that I can find a place to tie up my RV. I don’t think I could stand at the wheel all the way from Jacksonville. If things workout I’ll do pizza night. I will try to lasso Larry and Lena.

Don

Last edited:
OK, you’ve smoked me out. What are the dates for this auspicious occasion. Provided that I can find a place to tie up my RV. I don’t think I could stand at the wheel all the way from Jacksonville. If things workout I’ll do pizza night. I will try to lasso Larry and Lena.

Don

As co-godfather of the shindig.....when do you want it honorable top dog?????

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Scott,
I think that is one honor that I could live without.

Don it is the weekend on the 25. Looking forward to seeing you there and if the past holds true you’ll have all the women by Friday night. Nice to see the guys who started all this. Larry and Leana will be a real treat.

Thanks Watfa sends hugs

Back
Top Bottom