Dinghy Motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Hal. That puts information of both in one place.
Let's hope some owners will chime in. SMILE

I believe just the opposite, every time I didn't run the carb dry, the 4 stroke, 8hp Yamaha with ethanol fuel needed cleaning before it would start.

My circle of friends have reported the same..

Stabilizer is a must too.

:thumb:
Due to Covid, I have been unable to get marked "mid-grade" gas (up to 5% ethanol) at the Co-op station in Ganges, so have been using ethanol-free premium in all of my small engines. All are preforming far better this year, including my Honda 40 outboard.

My experience using any fuel with ethanol in it has been noticeably poor. I have used Seafoam for winter storage, but still have had carb problems. Honda sold me some carb cleaning spray-in stuff, dissolves the ethanol varnish and burns it with lots of smoke. Seemed to work, but since then, no Eth, no problems.

You may not like my suggestion, but I put it out there for you to think it through. The reality for us older farts is that whatever is heavy now is going to get heavier in the future. I see a motor that isn't to bad in weight now, becoming a sea anchor in my latter years as I drop it unintentionally. I also include lugging batteries around in the electric propulsion systems.

Something like Sea Wise davits is expensive but it will extend your boating experience without moving heavy things around. Once the motor is on the bracket for the davit system, it remains on until it is removed for servicing or whatever. For that task on my davit system, moving an engine that has become heavy for me, I see myself asking for help from one of the younger marina members. I'm practising my pitiful face look so I can look convincing to this younger volunteer.

The price is high, search for used ones, how I got mine, it will be the easiest of all options you are considering using currently.

Sea Wise Manual Davit system: I'm showing you the manual set up rather than the electric (there is one) as it is cheaper. You can use a cordless electric drill to haul the dinghy up and save thousands.

Last edited:
You may not like my suggestion, but I put it out there for you to think it through. The reality for us older farts is that whatever is heavy now is going to get heavier in the future. I see a motor that isn't to bad in weight now, becoming a sea anchor in my latter years as I drop it unintentionally. I also include lugging batteries around in the electric propulsion systems.

Something like Sea Wise davits is expensive but it will extend your boating experience without moving heavy things around. Once the motor is on the bracket for the davit system, it remains on until it is removed for servicing or whatever. For that task on my davit system, moving an engine that has become heavy for me, I see myself asking for help from one of the younger marina members. I'm practising my pitiful face look so I can looking convincing to this younger volunteer.

The price is high, search for used ones, how I got mine, it will be the easiest of all options you are considering using currently.

Sea Wise Manual Davit system: I'm showing you the manual set up rather than the electric (there is one) as it is cheaper. You can use a cordless electric drill to haul the dinghy up and save thousands.

Nope, appreciate and like your suggestion. I've thought of going this route but I would most likely need to rebuild my original narrow and thinning teak swim platform which would add significant cost. My other concern or question is whether or not the rule of having the transom-mounted boat name/hailing port blocked or covered on the transom of a documented vessel is a REAL rule or one of those official things that are overlooked. I believe I could move them to the sides of the boat but that adds more hassle and cost.

I also agree on how things don't seem to be getting lighter as I get older. However, the electric outboards are featherweight. The small gas outboards like a Yamaha 6 HP are 55 lbs or so. The 4 hp is even less. I should be able to handle a short move of that weight for a few more years.

I'm afraid to ask but what is the estimated cost of the Seawise system? I know they vary "depending"...but just an estimate.

I can see the sea wise as a solution for many. My former 200lb dingy was on a manual swimgrid davit, once lowered I had to man handle the OB onto transom.
My solution get a lighter inflatable about 110lb, mount the OB about 60lb + 10lb propane tank and use the existing mast/boom with an ATV 12V winch $120 and load it on top of the aft cabin. No more manual labor. And I like the clean looking swimgrid/transom.

Small 2T OB Engines

A small 2cycle or 4 cycle are both reasonable options. I would never use an electric mainly due to the limited power and range, this can be a life and death difference in the wrong conditions. To me electric is for the person who thinks nothing will ever go wrong. 2T engines are simpler than 4T and have a higher power to weight ratio. Its true that 4T engines have lower emissions, though the difference is not nearly what some seem to think. Modern 2T are relatively clean. Advantages of the 4T is no premixing. Advantages of the 2T is lower maintenance (no oil changes), lighter weight, and the engine can be placed in any position (you can't with a 4T due to the oil in the sump).

Very well put and almost exactly what I think.
The rope on the bow is a fender .. tugboat style. Bought the boat from Dan who worked for years in the fishery at "Bristol Bay. He was the Captain on a 140’ powered barge. The rowboat was the dinghy. In good shape considering the obvious.
I have a 60hp 4T Suzuki The rest of my OB’ds are 2T. Izzatt what 2 stroke and 4 stroke are called now .. 2T Nd 4T? OK w meee.

My favorite OB now is my 4hp 2 cylinder 2 stroke Evinrude. Basically the same as hordes of 3 and 3 1/2hp OMC outboards from about 1949 to about … I’m not really sure .. 80’s? Were these small 2T twins made into the 80’s? I prefer the remote fuel tank version w the weedless prop. Same # of power strokes as a 4 cYl. 4T engine. Quite to very smooth and little noise for a small OB.

Here it is on my 12’ “Gig Harbor” rowboat.

Attachments

• 0FBAFA1F-D8AE-430C-9F4C-AA31357CEF02.jpg
    0FBAFA1F-D8AE-430C-9F4C-AA31357CEF02.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
:thumb:
Due to Covid, I have been unable to get marked "mid-grade" gas (up to 5% ethanol) at the Co-op station in Ganges, so have been using ethanol-free premium in all of my small engines. All are preforming far better this year, including my Honda 40 outboard.

My experience using any fuel with ethanol in it has been noticeably poor. I have used Seafoam for winter storage, but still have had carb problems. Honda sold me some carb cleaning spray-in stuff, dissolves the ethanol varnish and burns it with lots of smoke. Seemed to work, but since then, no Eth, no problems.

Interesting. I use 94 ethanol free chevron in all vehicles, so the gas can is 94 for lawnmower, but never thought about it performing better since never used other.

To me electric is for the person who thinks nothing will ever go wrong.

I got a laugh out of this one. My take is exactly the opposite! I think electrics are for those folks (like me) that are convinced that something will always go wrong with an gas outboard motor.

I understand the desire for more power from a dinghy. Folks always point to the idea of using it as emergency propulsion, getting to, or away from, something important in a dinghy. We both know the problems that can’t arise in the PNW and SW BC with some of our high current and tidal areas.

Anyway, for years I used Gas outboards on dinghies. Now for years I’ve been using a Torqeedo. I like the Torqeedo much better.

However, I’m about to go back to gas with a 20hp Tahatsu. I’m trading the convenience, reliability, lack of maintenance, to trade for some speed and increased range. To be honest, I’m really doing it because my wife thinks she would like the speed and increased range. So even though that might be nice on rare occasions, most of the time it is going to be pointless. I’m doing it to make her happy.

I got a laugh out of this one. My take is exactly the opposite! I think electrics are for those folks (like me) that are convinced that something will always go wrong with an gas outboard motor.

I understand the desire for more power from a dinghy. Folks always point to the idea of using it as emergency propulsion, getting to, or away from, something important in a dinghy. We both know the problems that can’t arise in the PNW and SW BC with some of our high current and tidal areas.

Anyway, for years I used Gas outboards on dinghies. Now for years I’ve been using a Torqeedo. I like the Torqeedo much better.

However, I’m about to go back to gas with a 20hp Tahatsu. I’m trading the convenience, reliability, lack of maintenance, to trade for some speed and increased range. To be honest, I’m really doing it because my wife thinks she would like the speed and increased range. So even though that might be nice on rare occasions, most of the time it is going to be pointless. I’m doing it to make her happy.

dhays, you may already know this but you may be able to purchase a Tohatsu OB
directly and avoid the dealer installation fees.

I bought a Tohatsu 18 electric start that they shipped directly to me after I was able
to convince them I had the requisite knowledge and experience to install it myself. ;)

dhays, you may already know this but you may be able to purchase a Tohatsu OB

directly and avoid the dealer installation fees.

I bought a Tohatsu 18 electric start that they shipped directly to me after I was able

to convince them I had the requisite knowledge and experience to install it myself. ;)

I probably could buy one, however, I don’t have the requisite knowledge, experience, skill, or time to do it myself. So this is one of those things where I’m very happy to pay the guy to completely setup my new dinghy for me.

When I was younger, I thought I had to do everything myself. Now I sometimes decide that even if I could figure it out and do it myself, my time and money are better spent elsewhere.

I do appreciate the suggestion however.

I got a laugh out of this one. My take is exactly the opposite! I think electrics are for those folks (like me) that are convinced that something will always go wrong with an gas outboard motor]

For my dinghy I seriously looked at all three options. But to add in one more factor to the equation, my boat is a single engine gasser. And with a single engine I do worry about it crapping out, even though I repowered with a new Merc 6.2 I/O. One of my closest friends i a now retired BC Ferries Captain and I went over all the options with him, the advantages and disadvantages.

His first comment about electric was range under a light load versus range under a heavy load such as in a side tow scenario with my dinghy if the engine craps out (I do belong to C Tow). The answer of course is - no one knows.

With propane he said my limitation was most likely the 5 horsepower, will I wish I had more horsepower in a side tow situation. Also how much propane will be in the tank when my loss of power emergency arises, again - no one knows.

With a 9.9 gasser even if the fuel tank is low I can run a line down into one of my gas tanks for my stern drive and pull out some fuel. And with 9.9 hp I have enough power to move my boat along at 5 or 6 knots. I personally would have preferred electric and was very close to purchasing one - probably Epropulsion.

the transom-mounted boat name/hailing port blocked or covered on the transom of a documented vessel is a REAL rule or one of those official things that are overlooked.

It may be a real rule that isn't enforced. I don't even know if it is a rule for us in British Columbia but I don't care as so many have dinghy mounted davits and I've heard of no one being stopped. Of course the name of my boat is also at my bow on both sides.

Okay, here are 2 questions I thought I would never ask.
What is the difference between the Torqeedo and the Spirit 1.0?
What is the down side of each electric motor?

I have an old Torqeedo, so I don’t know what improvements have been made since I bought mine and haven’t looked at anything else since.

One small weak point to my Torqeedo is that the cables have screw connectors which are plastic. They are plenty strong and are waterproof. However, you do have to be very careful not to cross thread the connector between the battery and motor. It can be a bit tricky to get it aligned properly.

Beyond that, I’ve not found any other downsides.

the transom-mounted boat name/hailing port blocked or covered on the transom of a documented vessel is a REAL rule or one of those official things that are overlooked.

It may be a real rule that isn't enforced. I don't even know if it is a rule for us in British Columbia but I don't care as so many have dinghy mounted davits and I've heard of no one being stopped. Of course the name of my boat is also at my bow on both sides.

My understanding is that the Federal requirements simply don’t address the issue of a dinghy obscuring a name and hailing port on the stern. State and local law enforcement don’t have any authority to enforce the USCG regulations and I’ve never heard of anyone that has had the USCG object to a dinghy on the swim platform obscuring the name.

Having said that, I do want to add my boat name to the bow on either side as well as put the boat name on the bottom of the dinghy. That isn’t to meet any legal requirement but for the convenience of other boaters who may need to find, contact, or identify me.

Just an FYI for those that think the electric motors problem is RANGE. Range is not a problem with electric motors, SPEED is a problem. If you want or need to go fast, the small electric motors are not for you. But range is not an issue. A full charge on a Torqeedo (which only takes about 2 or 3 hours) has a range of 30 miles. Albeit, going 2-4 knots! But you will get there without issue. I've run around all day long with my Torqeedo, to the beach, to the dock, around the harbor to check out all the boats, back to the dock for some water, then again to go out for dinner, then back for some drinks...... I'm still above 50% on the battery. And if youd get/add the solar charger, you can charge as your going or while your sitting on the beach... so range is not a problem really. BUT, speed is. The electric motors are VERY convenient, light weight, easy to mount, easy to transport, easy to store, no maintenance, no gas, no oil, no CARB! The only downfall is, speed. And this I suspect will be fixed very soon with some new models that will be 4hp or better. ;)

If your small boat blocks the name and hailing port, put in on the bottom of small boat.

I have an old Torqeedo, so I don’t know what improvements have been made since I bought mine and haven’t looked at anything else since.

One small weak point to my Torqeedo is that the cables have screw connectors which are plastic. They are plenty strong and are waterproof. However, you do have to be very careful not to cross thread the connector between the battery and motor. It can be a bit tricky to get it aligned properly.

Beyond that, I’ve not found any other downsides.

I believe the connection issue on the older Torqueedo 1003 model was addressed on the new 1103C with a more robust fitting. They also went to direct drive to help with what people describe as a whining noise. Not that I have read much about these motors. :)

My understanding is that the Federal requirements simply don’t address the issue of a dinghy obscuring a name and hailing port on the stern. State and local law enforcement don’t have any authority to enforce the USCG regulations and I’ve never heard of anyone that has had the USCG object to a dinghy on the swim platform obscuring the name.

Having said that, I do want to add my boat name to the bow on either side as well as put the boat name on the bottom of the dinghy. That isn’t to meet any legal requirement but for the convenience of other boaters who may need to find, contact, or identify me.

USCG Regulations posted on BoatUS:

- The above requirement for vessel name and hailing port to be clearly visible may necessitate duplicating the name and hailing port on either side of the hull.

- When dinghy’s are stored on the swim platform or transom causing the vessel's name and hailing port to be obscured from view, there is no Federal requirement to place the name and hailing port elsewhere. That is a Law Enforcement issue only.

-Stenciling on the bottom of the dinghy is not considered a permanent marking.

I guess I am worried about nothing although not sure what "That is a Law Enforcement issue only" means. I guess a state could require the name/port to be visible on the boat if that is required in that state but a documented boat isn't registered in a particular state and they have no say over USCG documented boats. Again, worried about something when there are SOOOO many other things to worry about.

Interesting. I use 94 ethanol free chevron in all vehicles, so the gas can is 94 for lawnmower, but never thought about it performing better since never used other.

The octane rating needed for small OB’s and lawnmowers is probably about 66. The reason non-alchol fuel is high octane is so the high performance motorcyclist and the home owner can buy from the same pump.
But I think the only downside is money .. bout $5.00 a gallon.

Something like Sea Wise davits is expensive but it will extend your boating experience without moving heavy things around. Once the motor is on the bracket for the davit system, it remains on until it is removed for servicing or whatever. For that task on my davit system, moving an engine that has become heavy for me, I see myself asking for help from one of the younger marina members. I'm practising my pitiful face look so I can look convincing to this younger volunteer.

I had the same long term management concerns when I moved our dinghy storage from the upper boat deck to the transom. Even pivoting an outboard a la Seawise wasn’t appealing to me. I installed a Dinghy Butler, which let’s me launch in 15 seconds and retrieve in 30 seconds. The stainless steel version has no problem handling our fully loaded 550-lb dink. We have a 20-hp Suzuki 4-stroke with remote start, tilt and trim and electric start = 120-lbs. with the dink deployed, the davit takes up little more room on the swim platform than a Seawise. Lighter boat/motor combinations are no problem for the aluminum version of the Dinghy Butler, which retails at about $3,700.

Attachments

• A6ACFAD3-46D8-42EB-A76B-C4EF9FCDFC77.jpg
    A6ACFAD3-46D8-42EB-A76B-C4EF9FCDFC77.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 12
Tow behind dingy / runabout. 50 hp o/b. Fast and comfortable!

Attachments

• Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    Downsize Crestliner 100_0441.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0434.JPG
    100_0434.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 15
Even pivoting an outboard a la Seawise wasn’t appealing to me. I installed a Dinghy Butler, which let’s me launch in 15 seconds and retrieve in 30 seconds.

If I use a cordless electric drill with the proper sprocket mounted, I can get the Seawise down in 15 seconds, just have to pay attention to the manual handle that I don't get whacked in the arm.

One of the problems I have with your set up, other than the fact my boat is in such a tight location, I physically couldn't have a dinghy sticking out like that, is that being the cheap sob that I am, I know at my marina I would be paying for the extra footage every month until I left said marina. And also paying at visiting marina's while cruising so your Defever 44 would be charged out at maybe 50 feet. It likes those really nifty bowsprits you occasionally see on sailboats, when I see them I also see $ sign at the marina.

My marina staff go around on occasion measuring over all boat length, including goodies attached, to determine if they are charging the right amount.

Art. Nice dingy, or is it a tender. I see you have sleeper seats in case you run out of fuel, a VHF to call CG and probably drink holders hidden from view. :D

You should post in the fuel consumption thread with and without pulling it behind you.

In my case, the marina folks can measure my boat everyday. I own the slip.
NOW, if the marina would just place the outer pilings out where they belong everything would be fine. I think my 55 foot slip's outer pilings are about 40+ feet out but, not out at 55ft

The dinghy butler looks nice. The only problem for me would be that it completely eliminates any access to the swim step.

Art. Nice dingy, or is it a tender. I see you have sleeper seats in case you run out of fuel, a VHF to call CG and probably drink holders hidden from view. :D

You should post in the fuel consumption thread with and without pulling it behind you.

As we virtually never cruise without "Mini Me" in tow... it would be very hard to compare fuel consumption. Can say that although I've not carefully recorded stats... at the 2000 +/- rpm with twins running, for moving 6.3 to 6.5 sog at slack tide, the sog may decrease just a little while towing as compared to not towing. Never compared "tow / no-tow" speed nor nmpg when planing at 16 to 17 knots. One reason is because we seldom do that speed. At 17 knots I'm confident that towing Mini Me would create at least a somewhat increased fuel burn. Heck, I'd say that under her own o/b power, doing 17 knots, her 50 hp. o/b may be needing to develop 15 to 20 hp. That shows need to take that much hp. turnout off what the twins provide. Only tests would actually display the differences... too many variables exist.

IMO Tiny extra fuel burn as compared to the fun, comfort, utilitarianism, safety... etc, etc of having a small runabout in tow - is simply a Non Issue!

:speed boat: :thumb: :dance::dance:

Soo-Valley wrote;
“You should post in the fuel consumption thread with and without pulling it behind you.”

It’s amazing how much pull is on the tow line of even a light 10’ boat w a hull good for the speed.

Art, I had the opportunity to borrow a tender, towed it behind my then boat with which I was familiar in fuel consumption. left with full tank (gas) expecting as always to return with over 1/4 tank to home marina.
Well I had to re fuel mid trip to avoid running dry before return trip. That was the last time I towed a tender, thus the curious asking if you noticed. Guess not, thanks for reply

Art, I had the opportunity to borrow a tender, towed it behind my then boat with which I was familiar in fuel consumption. left with full tank (gas) expecting as always to return with over 1/4 tank to home marina.
Well I had to re fuel mid trip to avoid running dry before return trip. That was the last time I towed a tender, thus the curious asking if you noticed. Guess not, thanks for reply

What speed did you tow at? 99% of the time we tow at at 6 to 6.5 knots [a knot +/- below our Tolly's math calced 7.58K hull speed].

Back in "The day"! During 1960's... We often towed a 13'3" Boston Whaler with 40 hp. Johnson... NY to Maine and back on coastal cruises. Towing boat was 1950, 38' raised deck, timber construction sport fisher that dad and I restored into a sedan cruiser. We took out the really tired 155 hp Nordberg Knight and put in a 185 hp. Perkins diesel. Boat was the fine design of a semi displacement hull. We'd cruise mostly at 12.5 to 13 knots. Although at that speed the Whaler tow did cause a bit of drag... it never too much impinged upon our towing boat's fuel usage per hour or per mile. Of course, in the 60's, diesel and gasoline in New England were in the low to mid 0.30 cent per gallon category. Even when you take adjusted to inflation $$$ calculations - $0.30 per gallon fuel enabled a lot of pleasure boat cruising!

Last edited:
What speed did you tow at? 99% of the time we tow at at 6 to 6.5 knots [a knot +/- below our Tolly's math calced 7.58K hull speed].

I ran that gasser at around 22 knots, so when I towed that one time I ran at 22 knots, but I did notice the throttle was pushed forward more. Not until I checked fuel level (routine) did I come to realize using more fuel.
One time and done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom