Old 09-30-2021, 06:31 AM   #11
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2Loop View Post
Definitely memory foam. Cut to shape as described above. It is also far best to get it into the stateroom before opening it, which is very simple since it comes in a box. Once out of the box, it expands to "mattress size" and therefore more difficult to move through small companionways. There are many high quality memory foam mattresses now. I cannot imagine buying a traditional mattress again for either home or boat.
It's all personal but I would not choose an ill-fitting mattress that requires crude hacking to get it to fit. Not when there are a number of manufacturers that can craft a custom-dimensioned foam mattress with a sewn cover just like any store-bought standard-sized mattress. We got our near queen-sized mattress in a box for $600. It's been six years now, full-time aboard, and it remains the most comfortable mattress we have ever had. Sure, you will spend spend less money on the hack-jobs. Not on my boat but I do understand that my priorities are different than others.

Which reminds me, we are selling our boat. I need to add our custom-made foam mattress to the list of its features. If I were buying a boat and found it to have a hacked-up foam mattress, I would wonder about where the owner may have cut other corners.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote