Lepke
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
Quote:
Originally Posted by costalive View Post
Lepke,

I like would to know your opinion on the Spinner II bypass filter and what would you use instead of it (for a 12v 71n)

Thank you
I know someone that had a spinner II and replaced it with a stand alone centrifuge. The speed of the spinner II is controlled by engine oil pressure thru a nozzle causing the spin. Higher oil pressure=higher rpm. So if you have low oil pressure like old Detroit, maybe 25#, you don't get as much cleaning as an newer engine with 80#. A hack is to use a separate oil pump that will cause a much higher centrifuge speed. The spinner II is an improvement over the stock filter, and probable cleans as well as most bypass filters. But you have to remove the top and scrape out the debris. I understand there's a model that replaces the part with the debris and newer models include a paper filter.
I think I would rather have a bypass filter and just change the filter rather than the cleaning. There are models (https://www.amsoil.com/c/bypass-oil-...ms-mounts/32/l) that are spin on filters like full flow filter. If I was going to buy a bypass filter, I'd probably buy a Amsoil, Kleenoil or Gulfcoast. They all clean down to below 5 microns. Kleenoil Bypass Oil Filter System - Bypass Oil Filtration - Home
The person that had the spinner II has a stand alone centrifuge like mine and observed more cleaning in 10 minutes than the spinner in continuous service. That's why I bought mine. I wanted clear oil. My Detroits are 1947 models and the stock filter is a bypass. (Probably why they lasted so long.) So between centrifugings the oil stays somewhat golden transparent. The stock bypass filter gets changed rarely. Thinking of adapting a newer style filter.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote