Inside heated storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pat T

Vessel Name
Moondance
Vessel Make
Grand Banks CL 42
It's that time again for us Midwesterners. I am storing indoors so less to do than storing outside in the cold & snow. This is my first year doing so with this boat (previous sailboats stored outside) so I do have a few questions.

Main concern is water tanks & lines - no need to pump the pink stuff through but probably best to get out as much water as possible? The water can get pretty stale just sitting. And what about the metal water tanks? Maybe some type of preservative is needed in there?

Probably a good idea to drain the aqua lift muffler? I think all I need to do is to open the drain and let water drain into bilge and pump it out.

Oh, yes and the bilge - clean out best you can. I will be working down there over the winter.

Pull the impellers - 2 engine, 1 generator

I will ensure power is applied now and then to charge batteries.

What else I am forgetting to do ?

Thanks.

You are a lot more trusting that your storage space will stay warm than I would be. Winterizing my boat costs about $75 and some time doing things, even stored inside I think I would spend the money to properly winterize everything. Just my opinion...

You are a lot more trusting that your storage space will stay warm than I would be. Winterizing my boat costs about $75 and some time doing things, even stored inside I think I would spend the money to properly winterize everything. Just my opinion...

I did wonder Doug, so I inquired about back up power of which they do have generators just in case. Thanks.

You don’t pay the extra amount for inside heated storage, at least double the cost for unheated, to have to winterize the boat. They have backup generators in case they loose power, at least where I will be storing my boat. I wouldn’t even consider a storage unit that doesn’t have backup power.

It's that time again for us Midwesterners. I am storing indoors so less to do than storing outside in the cold & snow. This is my first year doing so with this boat (previous sailboats stored outside) so I do have a few questions.

Main concern is water tanks & lines - no need to pump the pink stuff through but probably best to get out as much water as possible? The water can get pretty stale just sitting. And what about the metal water tanks? Maybe some type of preservative is needed in there?

Probably a good idea to drain the aqua lift muffler? I think all I need to do is to open the drain and let water drain into bilge and pump it out.

Oh, yes and the bilge - clean out best you can. I will be working down there over the winter.

Thanks.

Remove anything that may attract mice, any food, any soap, etc. My friend left a bit of food in Tupperware containers and a couple of bars of soap in his boat one winter. Mice came on board and chewed through the Tupperware and ate about half of the bars of soap. We remove anything that might possibly be eaten by mice and never had any aboard.

Indoor storage

Thanks.

Pat,
Where are you storing and what is the cost?
Thinking of doing the loop and expect to be in or near Chicago in fall. Just curious.

Pat,
Where are you storing and what is the cost?
Thinking of doing the loop and expect to be in or near Chicago in fall. Just curious.

I am storing at Southport Marina in Kenosha, WI. I am told there are a couple of other places in Kenosha also. Not sure if they offer heated storage. There are no Chicago lakefront inside storage areas I am aware of. You might be able to get a place down the river but likely to be costly. I moored in Chicago for 15 years or so and always went north for winter storage. Two closest places south would be Larsen Marine and Bay Marine in Waukegan. I checked both last year when I purchased my current boat and could not get heated storage - they were full.

So my advice is start checking early. Somewhere in WI might be the best place for winter storage. My dock neighbor in Racine takes his boat to Port Washington (north of Milwaukee) and is happy. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom