pictures of a hottie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
Now this is the real deal

Attachments

• 10-19-10 079.jpg
    10-19-10 079.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 284
  • 10-19-10 080.jpg
    10-19-10 080.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 334
  • 10-19-10 081.jpg
    10-19-10 081.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 402
  • 10-19-10 082.jpg
    10-19-10 082.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 213
  • 10-19-10 083.jpg
    10-19-10 083.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 315
Might be Willy's big sister.

Wow!!!***Pure cool.
What do you know about her?
*Is she glass or wood?

SD

Seeing that the boat is from Maine, I am not surprised. Maine has the nicest wooden boats and the boats most well cared for of all the places I have been.
R.

It looks to be one that was featured in PassageMaker Magazine many years ago; can't remember the issue. All wood and built by its owner as I recall.

That is another boat that would catch my attention.* She has a deep keel, fish stabilizers and a front mast and boom with sails.* That is what I would like to add some day!* Could be called a trawler motor sailor?* **I like to walk though boat yards to see what boats look like under the water line.* ****

I wouldn't call it a motorsailer.* It's probably only a five-percent "sailboat."* The sail area is too small for much "sail power."

Under favorable conditions, I'd be surprised if it could move the boat faster than two knots, but*the rig could be helpful for stabilization, supplementing the engine, and*moving you, very slowly, in the direction of safety if the engine fails.

My Coot will have a similar sail arrangement (short mast with jib and mainsail) except without a boom.* That's an $8500 option most trawler owners would decline, I think.

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 01:08:59 PM

"Kintore" has been one of our local boats. See her several times a season. Used to see her a lot more often at wooden boat gatherings until we sold our classic woodie a year or so ago.

It looks like you just missed out being able to buy her, but you can still see pics and details of her at the broker's web site (bottom of the page) . However, you can still buy "Burma". She's quite a boat. Or "Grayling" although I like "Burma" more.

http://www.pagetraditionalboats.com/

Oops, looks like Grayling sold too.

-- Edited by dwhatty on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 01:49:20 PM

Yea,
I would'nt kick that one out of my slip. That would be perfect for Alaska. But for the money Willy does well enough. I notice they called Kintore a west coast cruising vessel** ..
not a trawler. Thanks David for the post.

If my memory serves me, Kintore is only about 10-15 years old. She was built in Maine with
several cool features. Her skiff is carried on the stern (seiner style). Note the "cradle" that
pivots on the stern rail. The skiff is hauled from the top of the pilothouse and sits on the cradle.
I believe that this boat was originally powered with a small Gas engine. Wooden Boat Mag did a story on it when it was new.

Looks like a replica Halibut schooner of old.

That is one fine boat....although cheating by showing being out of the water and showing all of her assets!!!

I remember the article in PM on Kintore. I believe she has cummins power from day one with Hydraulic pump for windlass. Neat boat built for a couple who owned a winery in Maine.

And I am sure you make all kinds of sacrifices and compromises to have such a pretty boat...jus sayin'!!

I*agree trawler motor sailor is more trawler than sail boat as the sails are usually not big enough, but meant to increase range/efficiency and assist a get home which is usually under powered.* If you go back to the older classic motor sailor design, you will see*many were more trawler than sail boat, thus called a motor sailor as when underway they use both, motor and sail.* As the price of fuel increase up we are going to see more hybrid trawler with sailors and getting back to the classic basic designs.* Most trawlers usually do not have the keel ballast required for sails so they have the fish stabilizers that can be use with or without the sails. *********

Hey Phil, how about posting a photo of your boat in your avatar without the gloomy, forbidding-looking clouds in the background so we can see more detail. I quite like the Eagles. Looked over the new 55 at out Sanctuary Cove Boat Showe last May.
You must get the odd sunny day there, surely....?

That is one of our brighter days?* If its not rainy and/or windy its a great day in the PNW.* Its going to be raining for at least the next 2 weeks.* Its been such a short rainy summer I still have not got some of my normal maintenance done.* *It will be another 8 months before we get enough sunny days to take the down the canvas and tarps.

I have some pictures on my previous computer but not on this newer one. *I think I have one of her naked out of the water.* (-;* *On PMM in my profile there are some pictures.* I got a new Blackberry Storm that can take pictures and send them. **The next time my grandchildren come maybe they can show me how?

Sail Area

On the contrary - in addition to her mainsail and jib, Kintore is fitted with twin jibs on her side booms. She spreads more than enough sail to be considered a motorsailer, at least running downwind; it's more sail area than most comparable sailboats.

I wouldn't call it a motorsailer.* It's probably only a five-percent "sailboat."* The sail area is too small for much "sail power."

Under favorable conditions, I'd be surprised if it could move the boat faster than two knots, but*the rig could be helpful for stabilization, supplementing the engine, and*moving you, very slowly, in the direction of safety if the engine fails.

My Coot will have a similar sail arrangement (short mast with jib and mainsail) except without a boom.* That's an $8500 option most trawler owners would decline, I think.

ry%3D400

-- Edited by markpierce on Tuesday 19th of October 2010 01:08:59 PM

Yes, she's a woodie. She was also featured in WoodenBoat Jan/Feb 1998

Kintore is based upon William Garden's Dynamo design.

It looks to be one that was featured in PassageMaker Magazine many years ago; can't remember the issue. All wood and built by its owner as I recall.

Hey Phil, how about posting a photo of your boat in your avatar without the gloomy, forbidding-looking clouds in the background so we can see more detail. I quite like the Eagles. Looked over the new 55 at out Sanctuary Cove Boat Showe last May.
You must get the odd sunny day there, surely....?

This is the only picture I can find with no clouds. We do not have very many days with out some clouds.

Picture of Eagle bare bottom. :blush:

Attachments

• Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    Eagle on the hard -.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
This is what works for us. Less than 1 gallon an hour if we go slow and haven't sailed her yet. 62 hp Yanmar diesel.

Kind of new to this posting. Hope I got it right this time.

Attachments

• IMG_0434[1].jpg
    IMG_0434[1].jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0381[1].jpg
    IMG_0381[1].jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0487[1].jpg
    IMG_0487[1].jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited by a moderator:
This is what works for us. Less than 1 gallon an hour if we go slow and haven't sailed her yet. 62 hp Yanmar diesel.

Kind of new to this posting. Hope I got it right this time.

Nice boat.Get the sails up.Fuel is expensive.Wind is free.

Here's a profile shot of Phil's Eagle that I Photoshoped onto another background. I think the original was actually on the dirt. Phil always calls the boat ugly, but being the owner of an ugly boat myself, I have to say that I like the Eagle just the way it is. This shot shows a little more detail. Can't speak for what looks like a radar unit mounted on a moose head on the pilothouse.

img_104165_0_a3292ede90cf7fa5ef982fac14c717ca.jpg

Last edited:
Gee, that picture must be before 1999 as the windows where changed to bronze and the stern canvas more clear space. The picture was of the Eagle on the hard. I did not like that radar arch when we bought her, but over the years I have grown to like it. It leans forward which was to protect the old round radar dome, and to give more space on the roof as the previous owner cared store a live raft/boat up there. Its sort of like ugly wantabee forward slanting windows, you sort of get use to them. OK maybe not.:facepalm:

The 58 originally had a front mast, the mast step, wiring and stanchion connections are still there, so adding a from mast would not be to difficult but the cost is about 15 grand. 15 grand can buy about 4,000 gallons of fuel. The only reason I would add is to increase the range.

Last edited:
I dunno, Phil. Are you sure that's not a moose head? Regardless, what was the deal with doing the windows in bronze? I understand the wood might have been gone, but bronze? How come? Are you talking about the port holes?

The glass is bronze! The trim is still varnished teak wood. When repairing the dry rot under the windows I cracked several of them. At the time we are moored at a semi open dock to the public so we had people looking into the windows, and a couple of times a year the sun would break through the clouds and blind us. What is the big round bright object in the ski? :D True native PNW are not fond of directly sun light. If the truth be told we are wantabe Vampires. You been watching “Twilight”? :thumb:

Well anyway, the radar mount still looks like a moose head to me. I thought I'd seen one of those at a Spokane boat show....oh yeah, here it is.

img_104275_0_6e196da4bc38ae0c34189e7f7c98f2e3.jpg

Well anyway, the radar mount still looks like a moose head to me. I thought I'd seen one of those at a Spokane boat show....oh yeah, here it is.

img_104300_0_6e196da4bc38ae0c34189e7f7c98f2e3.jpg

LOL!!

To paraphrase Maxwell Smart, Agent 86, "Ah yes...the old Antler Mount trick!"

Back
Top Bottom