4588 bayliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigdog

Hi all Richard from Boston my friends call me big dog I have a Chris craft 426 looking to trade up to a 4588 bayliner for easy access and more entertainment room would like to hear from all that have something to say about this big change thanks in advance big dog

Welcome aboard. The 4588 is a very nice layout except the engine room access is pretty tight.

I been doing lot of reading and research it what I do when I have my eyes on something new to me I also read the arch has problems

The Bayliner 4588 and it's later model brethren the 4788 and even later the Meridian 490 are very popular Coastal Cruisers.

The layout is very long term cruising friendly for a couple based on it's raised pilothouse design.

As far as issues, there are issues with every boat ever made. The 4588 was built in the 1980's and early 1990's and suffers from age and the materials that were typical in boat building at the time.

Things to look for on ANY boat of this vintage are often related to water penetration of wood cored things like decks, and yes on this boat the arch, and the furniture on the flying bridge to name a few.

Lots of things to look for on any particular boat, but none are issues with the 4588 per se, they are the typical issues one would expect on a 40 year old boat.

The Bayliner 4588 and it's later model brethren the 4788 and even later the Meridian 490 are very popular Coastal Cruisers.

The layout is very long term cruising friendly for a couple based on it's raised pilothouse design.

As far as issues, there are issues with every boat ever made. The 4588 was built in the 1980's and early 1990's and suffers from age and the materials that were typical in boat building at the time.

Things to look for on ANY boat of this vintage are often related to water penetration of wood cored things like decks, and yes on this boat the arch, and the furniture on the flying bridge to name a few.

Lots of things to look for on any particular boat, but none are issues with the 4588 per se, they are the typical issues one would expect on a 40 year old boat.

Totally in agreement here. There is nothing you need to look for that is 4588 specific. Just remember, with a 40 year old boat, if the last owner didn't fix or replace it you will be.

Becuase of the age of the 4588's many of these issues will either be very obvious or already repaired/replaced by the time you and your surveyor get to these boats.
Typical issues for 4588 include:
- holding tank (Al) failing and hard to repair (we have a procedure for this)
- watch out for early air cooled turbo's (newer ones coolant cooled)
- large wood shedule including but not limted to: arch, flybrigde furntiture, saloon overhangs, pilothouse overhangs fwd and sides, davit base, windlass base, cockpit entry door and frame, etc
- Al water tanks (2)
- davits usually fail over time (design)
- "V" strut attachments
- boatdeck floor is balsa cored, check for compromised spots
- often the EH700 Hino's have not had their lube oil centrifuges cleaned

Great boats - hope this helps

This one maybe available. Little wax and an ice scrapper maybe required! Trawler%20Forum1106097422.jpg

Feel free to contact me. Irony is in Portsmouth, NH.

Not for sale - but happy to show you around and discuss maintenance issues.

In the water until 10/15

That would be great I am around from Tuesday next for the rest of the week thanks that would be greatly appreciated and would really help me out I don’t know much about this site so I don’t know how to make contact with you or you to me let me know when you can take the time and how to meet up thanks again Richard

Many years ago I chartered a 4588 for a week and loved the boat. Interior layout was good, handled well. There wasn't anything about it that I didn't like. Good luck with your search.

That would be great I am around from Tuesday next for the rest of the week thanks that would be greatly appreciated and would really help me out I don’t know much about this site so I don’t know how to make contact with you or you to me let me know when you can take the time and how to meet up thanks again Richard

I sent you a private message with contact info.

Great meeting you this morning and giving you a tour of Irony. You've definitely got the background to handle an older boat. And if you do come across something this forum and BOC are ready to help. Just yell "Code Red" :)

4588 are great boats. We purchased ours 3 years ago and love it. Very well built and a very well thought out design.
We opted for the 4588 over the 4788 for 3 reasons. 1, Price. 2,Third stateroom office layout instead of the little added storage. 3, will fit in a 50 foot slip.
You will not regret purchasing one.

Back
Top Bottom