Mark 1 HIN location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doodie99

Vessel Name
Winters Obsession
Vessel Make
Mainship Mark 1
So I am running into issues with my hin number and wondering where the 2nd hin number is located? Has anyone found it? Currently the Hin starts with MCP and Mainship is normally MPC .

What "second" HIN location?

Far as I remember, ours (Mk III) from the factory was inlaid on the transom. MPC3341....

-Chris

My Hin is very clear on the transom but it appears to be a mistake. Everything I have for documents have MPC... but the transom has MCP... it looks original and not altered. Boats should have it embedded in two places . one is easily viewed and second is hidden. I just don't know where.

The rules changed over time. What year is your vessel. I am surprised that no one noticed this discrepancy at time of purchase.

The rules changed over time. What year is your vessel. I am surprised that no one noticed this discrepancy at time of purchase.

I was surprised too. It's a 1979 mark 1

There's quite literally nowhere that I haven't been or at least stuck my head in and looked around on our 34. I haven't noticed any hull identification numbers in a 2nd location. Then again, I wasn't looking for one either, so I'm not ruling it out. The one on the transom of ours was permanently molded into the hull in the first layup of gelcoat. There's obviously not another number on the outside of the hull so if they were going to place a 2nd number on the hull, it would have to be on the final layup of glass which would be somewhere on the inside. Mainship painted a lot of the interior areas so it wouldn't be logical for them to place a 2nd number on the hull and then paint over it. I would guess the unpainted areas would be a good place to start but I kind of doubt there's another number anywhere.
If you find it, be sue to let us know!
Also, somewhere on the internet is a Mainship registry with I believe the hull numbers. The yahoo site used to have it but the last place I've seen it was on the mainship group on facebook. It might help you.

Its usually a hidden environment. My sea ray was under seat cushions

There is supposed to be a second hidden location for a HIN. That way if the boat is stolen LE can call the manufacturer and get the location to verify the real HIN. Unfortunately Mainship is gone so there isn’t anyone to call, but they aren’t supposed to give out the second location unless you are LE. I found it on a Carver that I used to own under one of the engines when I pulled the engines out.

If its under the engine then it's not happening. I will check a few places but I was hoping for under a clear or rug etc.

My Hin is very clear on the transom but it appears to be a mistake. Everything I have for documents have MPC... but the transom has MCP... it looks original and not altered. Boats should have it embedded in two places . one is easily viewed and second is hidden. I just don't know where.

Interesting. Didn't know that. Thought that hidden location thing was only about the Official Number if documented.

-Chris

No the documentation number and the hidden HIN are 2 completely different things and have nothing to do with each other. The hidden HIN is there for stolen boats to help identify them. But the system maybe falls down when the manufacturer goes out of business so they can’t tell LE where to look for it. Unless there is some clearing house for that data, don’t know if there is or not.

If its under the engine then it's not happening. I will check a few places but I was hoping for under a clear or rug etc.

If it ever becomes necessary or just helpful to look beneath the engine, or behind a tank, etc. USB "snake" style endoscope / boroscopes have become ridiculously cheap, at Home Depot or online.

I didn't see any markings anywhere in the engine area while our engine was out & I was tidying up.

I didn't see any markings anywhere in the engine area while our engine was out & I was tidying up.

It doesn’t necessarily live under the engine, it is wherever the manufacturer decided to put it. As long as it was hidden it is probably legal. I just found one on a previous boat and it was under the engine, but it doesn’t have to be under the engine.

It doesn’t necessarily live under the engine, it is wherever the manufacturer decided to put it. As long as it was hidden it is probably legal. I just found one on a previous boat and it was under the engine, but it doesn’t have to be under the engine.

I understand. I was just letting the OP know that there was no number in that area on our boat, which is the same make & model as his.

The number on the transom is by definition the hull number. Suspect the documentation was in error at some point and has been carried forward. Have owned boats for 50 years and have never heard of a second hidden hull number. Maybe a few manufacturers do it, but not prevalent. Once again, the number on the transom may have been a typo originally, but it is your hull number by definition.

Yes there is a duplicate but I have never found any on three boats. This from WA state...
"Two identical hull identifcation numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull. The characters of each hull identifcation number must be no less than 1/4 inch high.
Each hull identifcation number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affxed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identifcation number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.
A. The primary hull identifcation number must be affxed as follows:
B. The duplicate hull identifcation number must be affxed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a ftting or item of hardware."

The number on the transom is by definition the hull number. Suspect the documentation was in error at some point and has been carried forward. Have owned boats for 50 years and have never heard of a second hidden hull number. Maybe a few manufacturers do it, but not prevalent. Once again, the number on the transom may have been a typo originally, but it is your hull number by definition.

Per 33 CFR Part 181

181.29 Hull Identification Number Display
Ø Two identical HINs are required to be displayed on each boat hull
§ The primary HIN must be affixed in accordance with §181.29
§ The duplicate HIN must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware
§ This duplicate HIN has been required since the 1984 regulatory update to HIN formats, and may be used to replicate the primary HIN in the case that the primary HIN is missing. Contact CG-BSX-23 for more information.

I found the 2nd HIN on a boat by accident on the backside of the bulkhead inside of the anchor locker.

Ken

No the documentation number and the hidden HIN are 2 completely different things and have nothing to do with each other. The hidden HIN is there for stolen boats to help identify them. But the system maybe falls down when the manufacturer goes out of business so they can’t tell LE where to look for it. Unless there is some clearing house for that data, don’t know if there is or not.

Yes there is a duplicate but I have never found any on three boats. This from WA state...
"Two identical hull identifcation numbers are required to be displayed on each boat hull. The characters of each hull identifcation number must be no less than 1/4 inch high.
Each hull identifcation number must be carved, burned, stamped, embossed, molded, bonded, or otherwise permanently affxed to the boat so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious. If the number is on a separate plate, the plate must be fastened in such a manner that its removal would normally cause some scarring of or damage to the surrounding hull area. A hull identifcation number must not be attached to parts of the boat that are removable.
A. The primary hull identifcation number must be affxed as follows:
B. The duplicate hull identifcation number must be affxed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a ftting or item of hardware."

Per 33 CFR Part 181

181.29 Hull Identification Number Display
Ø Two identical HINs are required to be displayed on each boat hull
§ The primary HIN must be affixed in accordance with §181.29
§ The duplicate HIN must be affixed in an unexposed location on the interior of the boat or beneath a fitting or item of hardware
§ This duplicate HIN has been required since the 1984 regulatory update to HIN formats, and may be used to replicate the primary HIN in the case that the primary HIN is missing. Contact CG-BSX-23 for more information.

Didn't know all this; thanks, guys.

-Chris

Mainship had 2 Prefixes for their HIN, one for Toms River NJ (MPT) where your boat was built, and another for St Augustine (MPC)

Ours (MPC...) was built by Silverton in Marlboro, NJ.

-Chris

Mainship had 2 Prefixes for their HIN, one for Toms River NJ (MPT) where your boat was built, and another for St Augustine (MPC)

https://www.marinetitle.com/reference/boat-manufacturer-report.aspx?mode=nam&term=mainship

:socool:

Well, ALL the HINs that were logged into the file that we had in the Yahoo site were MPC. With the one exception of STN.
They actually started using MPT when they started making the 350 models in 1997. According to the file i have from the yahoo group.
Mainship always did wacky stuff.

Here's a few from the older ones 77 and 78 model years.

Mine was hull 26 and I think it has the longest HIN

MPC00001M77x34T
STN90002M77B34T
MPC00003M77x34T
MPC00011M77x34T
MPC00013M77H34T
MPC00015M77I34T
MPC00016M77I34T
MPC00019M77I34T
MPC00022M77I34T
MPC00024M77J34T
MPC00026M77J7834T
MPC00034M78A34T
MPC00041M78A34T
MPC00046M78A34T
MPC00053M78B34T

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter, post you HIN and Ii might be able to tell who else owned the boat at some point.

To the original poster or anyone else for that matter, post you HIN and Ii might be able to tell who else owned the boat at some point.

Thanks, I would be curious to know anything more about mine. It has surely been around the block a few times but I didn't get any backstory as the seller had already moved out of the area and I only spoke to him very briefly. I don't think he ever did any extensive cruising with the boat but previous owners may have, my hour meter was replaced at some point and I have no idea how much use it actually saw.

MPC00392M80A

Well the hin on the boat is MCP00359M79J34T
And no the MCP is no a typo.

I do not know a lot about HIN numbers. My understanding is that the first 3 digits identify both the manufacturer and the facility location of the boat. MCP instead of MPC suggests either a typo on the boat or this boat was build at a different facility. Either is possible. It was not uncommon for a manufacturer to hit capacity in the main yard and farm out one or two boats to a neighboring yard.

Thanks, I would be curious to know anything more about mine. It has surely been around the block a few times but I didn't get any backstory as the seller had already moved out of the area and I only spoke to him very briefly. I don't think he ever did any extensive cruising with the boat but previous owners may have, my hour meter was replaced at some point and I have no idea how much use it actually saw.

MPC00392M80A

Sorry, 392 is not in my list. This list was compiled by asking members on the old Yahoo group to submit information. either that owner was not part of that group or didn't submit information.

Back
Top Bottom