Anchorages Filling Up in Puget Sound and Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is the reverse Cargo Cult. We print money, the PRC sends us cargo in exchange. What you are looking at is Cargo congestion.

Americans are buying too much from the Orient.

It is a combination of things. Shortage of both trucks and truck drivers. Add to that and Rail service is at capacity. Add to that, many companies canceled inventory purchases when COVID hit. Then the American public stopped spending on restaurants, bars, and travel. Instead they channeled that money into consumer goods which really caught everyone off guard as they had reduced orders and inventory expecting a COVID recession and then boom, the opposite happened. End result, we just can't transport goods as fast as all those ships can show up.

Excellent post tiltrider,
Well stated and correct as far as I know.
Changing pains. Change is hard to do.
Can’t believe how few boat slips are available.

There is nothing in that gCaptain article about Canadian anchorages “filling up.”

There is nothing in that gCaptain article about Canadian anchorages “filling up.”

Seems like more static vessels than normal; about eight in the Gulf Islands, three at Nanaimo, four off Cowichan and two just off Victoria

Attachments

• English Bay.JPG
    English Bay.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 25
  • gulf.JPG
    gulf.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 24
8 out of 33 anchorages in the Gulf Islands and 9 out of 28 in the Port of Vancouver is hardly filling up. Less than usual actually and my point was, the article is misquoted.

8 out of 33 anchorages in the Gulf Islands and 9 out of 28 in the Port of Vancouver is hardly filling up. Less than usual actually and my point was, the article is misquoted.

I had no point to make; just curious. English Bay looks quite normal, but I've never seen more than a couple vessels in the Trincomalee Channel and never by Cowichan or Ladysmith.

Admittedly a couple visits a year is a pretty tiny sample.

Not misquoted

From the article:

"The U.S. Coast Guard said this week it is monitoring a backlog of containerships anchored in the greater Puget Sound area as ports along the West Coast of the United States and Canada from Los Angeles to Prince Rupert, British Columbia continue to be strained under high import volumes."

I certainly have noticed an increase in the number of container ships that are anchored in Commencement Bay, outside Quartermaster Harbor, and in the anchorage to the west of Blake Island over the past year.

I certainly have noticed an increase in the number of container ships that are anchored in Commencement Bay, outside Quartermaster Harbor, and in the anchorage to the west of Blake Island over the past year.

We have also seen a few ships anchored just south of Dodds Narrows.

From the article:

"The U.S. Coast Guard said this week it is monitoring a backlog of containerships anchored in the greater Puget Sound area as ports along the West Coast of the United States and Canada from Los Angeles to Prince Rupert, British Columbia continue to be strained under high import volumes."
Still nothing about Canadian, or specifically BC anchorages filling up.

Cargo ships in the Gulf Islands has been an issue for a few years, but mainly a local esthetic, noise, light and environmental point.

It is Dodd, not Dodds, Narrows and as I said above, 8 out of an authorized 33 is not filled up.

Still nothing about Canadian, or specifically BC anchorages filling up.

Cargo ships in the Gulf Islands has been an issue for a few years, but mainly a local esthetic, noise, light and environmental point.

It is Dodd, not Dodds, Narrows and as I said above, 8 out of an authorized 33 is not filled up.

Well I am not going to start an argument with you.

The above quote is for gCaptian. If you don't like their quote, please feel free to contact them.

Nothing wrong with the gCaptain article and nothing to argue.

You put your own spin on it by tossing in that Canadian anchorages are filling up. That is not true and not what gCaptain or USCG said.

A few weeks the stretch of water from Nanaimo south through Plumper Sound had about 20 freighters anchored. They all appeared empty and awaiting new loading instructions. Currently there is a "reported" worldwide excess of cargo freighters, not an uncommon occurrence. Thus parking places are filling up.

You put your own spin on it by tossing in that Canadian anchorages are filling up. That is not true and not what gCaptain or USCG said.
Disagree re-read the quote

Did you by chance wake up on the wrong side of bed this morning? :rofl:

Last edited:
Anchorages for freighters in the Gulf Islands have been full or nearly so for the past couple of years. An article by our MP suggested that the grain exports that had for decades been coordinated by the Federal Wheat Board were now in chaos as a result of the disbanding of that organization by the Federal gov several years ago, so now the ships wait for appointments at the various grain terminals before they can get fully loaded, thus filling up all of hte Vancouver anchorages and spilling over into the Gulf Island anchorages.
We also get occasional container ships, though most of those are too big for the Gulf Island anchorages.

Today's total according to AIS signals available to Marine Traffic (https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-122.4/centery:49.0/zoom:9) is 18 in the Gulf Islands.

The other thing I noticed the other day was an absolute “mountain” of shipping containers stacked up beside the Knight Street bridge over the north arm of the Fraser River. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Uncertain if they were empty or full. I’m sure it’s a symptom of the upheaval in the shipping industry right now. Suez? Covid? Who knows!

Jim

The other thing I noticed the other day was an absolute “mountain” of shipping containers stacked up beside the Knight Street bridge over the north arm of the Fraser River. I’ve never seen anything like it before. Uncertain if they were empty or full. I’m sure it’s a symptom of the upheaval in the shipping industry right now. Suez? Covid? Who knows!

Jim

Years ago there was a container co on Mitchell Island that stacked empty containers either side of the Knight St. bridge, 7 high and the lot was full most of the time. Then upheavals in that industry caused those to move to another location, on River Rd in Delta. Maybe the current upheaval has brought them back? Or the construction of the interchange between #17 and River road has eaten into that space?

Lack of truck drivers etc. Seems when you pay people to not work, they don’t…comrades.

Lack of truck drivers etc. Seems when you pay people to not work, they don’t…comrades.

:thumb: Too true. I suppose if I were making min wage and they offered me half to stay home, I would take it. No costs or taxes that is close to net income.
The businesses I deal with are all short staffed.

:thumb: Too true. I suppose if I were making min wage and they offered me half to stay home, I would take it. No costs or taxes that is close to net income.
The businesses I deal with are all short staffed.

Truck drivers et al, are hardly “minimum wage” jobs.

I heard something interesting today in an interview with Gary Locke. He is a former WA State Governor and Commerce Secretary under Obama.

Something he mentioned that I had not considered was that there have been problems with the availability of shipping containers. Containers move around the world as they are used. The US has continued to import products from over seas but during COVID has not been exporting as much. More containers have been coming this way than going outbound. That has apparently resulted in a shortage of containers in some locations, making it harder to ship product out.

Truck drivers et al, are hardly “minimum wage” jobs.
Hmmm. True truck driver average hourly is about $25 compared to fast food server $15.
The latter goes home every day.
$25 is considered the minimum livable wage, I should have said that, not minimum wage for entry level workers.

Back
Top Bottom