Opinions requested - Trash compactor vs cupboard space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muirgen Afloat

Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
Beebe passagemaker 50
So we are debating on taking out the trash compactor on the boat and put in more cupboard space in the galley. We've never had a trash compactor before.. so don't really have any opinon on whether or not it's good.
We used it a couple times since we have been on the boat, but it doesn't seem to really compact all the well. Don't know if that is because it's not working right or because that's all it does.
We'd really like to have one more cupboard space in the galley, but not sure if we will regret taking out the trash compactor.

Opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

I loved ours. If you spend a lot of time at anchor it cuts down on having to store trash. If you are always at marinas, who cares...

I have had one at my cabin for 30 years and like it (though I have plenty of cupboard space). Trash is a problem as are bears, so whatever we can do to reduce garbage is welcome (same as a boat....except for bears).

A couple tips. First, we don't put wet/fresh food in. We keep a small "compost bin" on the counter and empty it more frequently. Second, it doesn't really begin to compact that much until it's at least half full - it then compresses with enough force that it will often break a wine bottle. Finally, Costco has reasonably priced bags

If ours broke, we would replace it in a heartbeat. We go a full week of full time at-home on a single trash bag. While not thr same as a boat, I would think it pretty handy for cruising.

Good luck. Will be interested to know what you decide.

Peter.

So we are debating on taking out the trash compactor on the boat and put in more cupboard space in the galley. We've never had a trash compactor before.. so don't really have any opinon on whether or not it's good.
We used it a couple times since we have been on the boat, but it doesn't seem to really compact all the well. Don't know if that is because it's not working right or because that's all it does.
We'd really like to have one more cupboard space in the galley, but not sure if we will regret taking out the trash compactor.

Opinions and personal experience would be appreciated.

It depends greatly on how you use it. We had one at home for years. Learned to never put wet or compostable trash in it, as you can't get rid of the smell. Other trash can be made small with the push of a button.
BUT
If you get into the habit of crushing your empties, from milk, water, other drinks, vegetable containers, etc, you can do as good a job without using up valuable interior space. You will be storing the compacted trash in outside lockers no matter whether they come out of a compactor or not, so once crushed, there is no further space saving.
When we renovated our home kitchen the compactor went, and we didn't miss it.

3/4 of my garbage is recycle. I pulled the trash compactor and replaced it with a pull out drawer that had separate garbage and recycle bins. This makes my life easier.

I sort for recycling as things get used. My actual trash can is a 5 gallon bucket. Usually fills in about a week. If I'm out for several weeks, full trash bags go in the lazarette. Find that sorting recyclables allows for nesting of like materials. I would much rather have the space a trash compactor takes up, but then I've never had one.

Ted

We just take the tender ashore every couple of weeks and put a couple of bags in the nearest bins

I have had one at my cabin for 30 years and like it (though I have plenty of cupboard space). Trash is a problem as are bears, so whatever we can do to reduce garbage is welcome (same as a boat....except for bears).

A couple tips. First, we don't put wet/fresh food in. We keep a small "compost bin" on the counter and empty it more frequently. Second, it doesn't really begin to compact that much until it's at least half full - it then compresses with enough force that it will often break a wine bottle. Finally, Costco has reasonably priced bags

If ours broke, we would replace it in a heartbeat. We go a full week of full time at-home on a single trash bag. While not thr same as a boat, I would think it pretty handy for cruising.

Peter.

I have thought about compost. I am wondering if we didn't do it right or ours is not working right, because it didn't seem to compress much.

Peter.

I'm thinking ours is not working right, because it didn't seem to compress that much. Will do some more research both deciding..

It depends greatly on how you use it. We had one at home for years. Learned to never put wet or compostable trash in it, as you can't get rid of the smell. Other trash can be made small with the push of a button.
BUT
If you get into the habit of crushing your empties, from milk, water, other drinks, vegetable containers, etc, you can do as good a job without using up valuable interior space. You will be storing the compacted trash in outside lockers no matter whether they come out of a compactor or not, so once crushed, there is no further space saving.
When we renovated our home kitchen the compactor went, and we didn't miss it.

I'm leaning this way.. I kind of want the space.

3/4 of my garbage is recycle. I pulled the trash compactor and replaced it with a pull out drawer that had separate garbage and recycle bins. This makes my life easier.

We are checking into recycle stuff.. the marina we are currently in, doesn't have recycle available, but I think there is a dump we can go to. Will check it out.

I sort for recycling as things get used. My actual trash can is a 5 gallon bucket. Usually fills in about a week. If I'm out for several weeks, full trash bags go in the lazarette. Find that sorting recyclables allows for nesting of like materials. I would much rather have the space a trash compactor takes up, but then I've never had one.

Ted

We've never had one before so am thinking we probably won't care. I kind of think the space would be more beneficial.

Two things that came with our boat that I thought we'd never use were the dishwasher and compactor.

The dishwasher came out early on, found that it doesn't work well with paper plates. The space was perfect for a drawer freezer instead.

I gave the compactor a chance and now I wouldn't be without one. As long as we keep out stuff that was once alive we can go for a week or more on one bag. As others have said, it really doesn't start compacting until it's about 1/2 full. It's kinda like a game now to see how long I can make it last.

We keep a separate can in the saloon for recycling...give the compactor a chance!!

It seems the smaller the boat, the higher percentage of galley storage it takes up. For that reason, we opted not to get one, much rather have the storage space. We have two small trash bins under the sink, one for recycle. As the other is filled with regular trash, it goes in a larger garbage bag in the laz until we get to shore. We also try to cut down on trash coming aboard by repackaging food.

Two things that came with our boat that I thought we'd never use were the dishwasher and compactor.

The dishwasher came out early on, found that it doesn't work well with paper plates. The space was perfect for a drawer freezer instead.

I gave the compactor a chance and now I wouldn't be without one. As long as we keep out stuff that was once alive we can go for a week or more on one bag. As others have said, it really doesn't start compacting until it's about 1/2 full. It's kinda like a game now to see how long I can make it last.

We keep a separate can in the saloon for recycling...give the compactor a chance!!

Thanks.. would love a drawer freezer.. though we just don't have the room. Will have to relook at the trash compactor. Not any hurry to change it out until we've done our research.

It seems the smaller the boat, the higher percentage of galley storage it takes up. For that reason, we opted not to get one, much rather have the storage space. We have two small trash bins under the sink, one for recycle. As the other is filled with regular trash, it goes in a larger garbage bag in the laz until we get to shore. We also try to cut down on trash coming aboard by repackaging food.

Definitely plan on repacking food as much as possible. Packing takes up so much space.

I have a trash smasher on the boat and really like that it can compact the volume of trash stored to something way less than 50%.

I'm looking at it right now and thinking what if? What if i removed it, what to put there?

Then I think that I need a trash can anyway, and where the compactor is makes a logical choice. :blush:

The reality is that the compactor takes up almost zero more space than a regular kitchen trash can that takes "tall kitchen" size garbage bags

I have a trash smasher on the boat and really like that it can compact the volume of trash stored to something way less than 50%.

I'm looking at it right now and thinking what if? What if i removed it, what to put there?

Then I think that I need a trash can anyway, and where the compactor is makes a logical choice. :blush:

The reality is that the compactor takes up almost zero more space than a regular kitchen trash can that takes "tall kitchen" size garbage bags

I don't have a compactor. Oddly enough due to this thread I thought about where it could go and surmised that it would take the place of the waste catcher. Unless living on board I do not see the value in getting one. But if you already have one, keep it.

I don't have a compactor. Oddly enough due to this thread I thought about where it could go and surmised that it would take the place of the waste catcher. Unless living on board I do not see the value in getting one. But if you already have one, keep it.

You are correct. In terms of value I would not modify a boat to put one in.

Conversely I would replace the one I have if/when it fails rather than modifying the cabinet space to account for it's removal.

I only half agree with this. After pulling my compactor, I ended up with enough space for two tall kitchen bags. If we didn’t recycle I would probably have kept the compactor. With recycling I was forced to maximize my space. On the other hand if you don’t recycle then Kevin is correct.

My wife is anal about recycling, me not so much.
You see here about 40% of recycled ends up in the landfill as recyclers cannot process fast enough. In addition the cost for recycle was supposed to be self supporting, NOT. The cost of getting rid of your waste has doubled in 6 years.
Boats are a different story, except for your home marina, many will limit you to one bag and some refuse to take your trash bag.
I applaud the efforts of many to faithfully recycle, it should work, and one day it will succeed.

Just as no 2 cruising areas are the same, most cruisers also have their own likes and dislikes. We took ours out, replaced it with a 2 compartment bin, one for burnables, the other for all else. Being on the boat for weeks at a time without going to port, there are, many times, places one can burn. In remote areas, once it is all mixed together and compacted, you are stuck with the total amount until going into port.

Yeah have to have a trash can. I've got a space for one of those that doesn't take up cupboard space.. so doesn't make my decision easier. hmmm

You are correct. In terms of value I would not modify a boat to put one in.

Conversely I would replace the one I have if/when it fails rather than modifying the cabinet space to account for it's removal.

This boat was modified to put one in by the previous boat owners.

I only half agree with this. After pulling my compactor, I ended up with enough space for two tall kitchen bags. If we didn’t recycle I would probably have kept the compactor. With recycling I was forced to maximize my space. On the other hand if you don’t recycle then Kevin is correct.

I'm just thinking there are ways of generating less in the bags.. and still using the space better.

My wife is anal about recycling, me not so much.
You see here about 40% of recycled ends up in the landfill as recyclers cannot process fast enough. In addition the cost for recycle was supposed to be self supporting, NOT. The cost of getting rid of your waste has doubled in 6 years.
Boats are a different story, except for your home marina, many will limit you to one bag and some refuse to take your trash bag.
I applaud the efforts of many to faithfully recycle, it should work, and one day it will succeed.

Yeah recycling is a problem on the other end.. like when we lived in Hawaii on the military instullation that required recycling.. but the island didn't have facilities to process it, so it went to the dump with the other trash of the island and got dumped out at sea.

Just as no 2 cruising areas are the same, most cruisers also have their own likes and dislikes. We took ours out, replaced it with a 2 compartment bin, one for burnables, the other for all else. Being on the boat for weeks at a time without going to port, there are, many times, places one can burn. In remote areas, once it is all mixed together and compacted, you are stuck with the total amount until going into port.

Thanks this is helpful to think about.

Depends where and the configuration of the space too. Where a compactor would go on ours would be a locker with storage space of over 8 cubic feet (33” x 18” x 24”.) Our two trash bins are 1.3 c.f. (12” x 12” x 8” each) and reside under the sink where we would not be storing food or dishes that would have to go somewhere.

Depends where and the configuration of the space too. Where a compactor would go on ours would be a locker with storage space of over 8 cubic feet (33” x 18” x 24”.) Our two trash bins are 1.3 c.f. (12” x 12” x 8” each) and reside under the sink where we would not be storing food or dishes that would have to go somewhere.

Ours is right in the middle of the cupboard. So it's really useable space that it's taking up. The owners took out a dishwasher and replaced it with a small cupboard and a trash compactor. Still thinking.. but leaning on having more cupboards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom