Moving from GAL to Mobile in Jan-Mar 2013

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeyJude

Vessel Name
HEY JUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Vessel Krogen 36 Manatee...HEY JUDE

Our plan is to haul the boat from Lake Travis to GAL in Jan 2013 & depart asap towards Mobile & up the TennTom for storage above the hurricane zone by April. If we have time we may continue E towards Panama City before returning to Mobile & then N. We could have the boat delivered to destination but prefer the experience of motoring there. Consider this as a shake down cruise for the boat & crew. While the crew has gotten along well for 40+ yrs, it's never been on a boat for more then 3 days at a time.

Other than cold weather, what negative factors could we expect to encounter enroute that time of the year?

Rain and wind. Cold fronts come through and you do NOT want to be out in that. Just watch the weather and don't get in a hurry and you'll be fine.

Other than weather you will find traveling the GIWW is a whole different world from the Lake cruising you have done. So consider the stresses involved on the Skipper and crew. You will be now dealing with currents, bridges, locks and a great deal of commercial traffic. The crew needs to work well together and be prepared in advance. here are some of our blog posts for our trip. This was on our previous sailboat, but the info might be helpful. Chuck

Voyages of Sea Trek: On The Road Again Texas to South Carolina 5/05/08
Voyages of Sea Trek: Taylor Bayou to Adams Bayou
Voyages of Sea Trek: Calcasieu River to Mermentau River
Voyages of Sea Trek: Mermentau River to Charenton Navigational Canal
Voyages of Sea Trek: Charenton Canal to Bayou Black
Voyages of Sea Trek: Barataria Waterway to Blind Rigolets, La.
Voyages of Sea Trek: Mississippi Sound and Mobile Bay

Thanks Keith & Chuck...Phil & Judy

You will enter/exit numerous locks on the ICW in Louisiana, tie-up, tie-up, tie-up, have a supply of fenders ready, you will tie to the lock wall or possibly alongside another vessel, sometimes taking directions from the lockmaster via VHF (a handheld VHF is very handy). Be prepared to encounter passing "sport fishing" boats running the ICW at WFO throttle, many of them exhibit total disregard to the wake they bring, loose breakable items will slide from countertops, secure them. Barge traffic is very heavy east of Galveston, barges traveling at approx. 7 kts. passing can be difficult. The tug captains I find to generally be polite and helpful however many of them in this area seem to have a heavy "Cajun" accent and can be very hard to understand especially over the VHF and I have been jokingly cussed for my "Texas Drawl". Obtain the latest editions of a couple ICW cruising guides, Quinbys and Campbells, they will be invaluable on your journey.

Most of the locks you will encounter are just salt water barriers. If you hear a lockmaster say "hold her in the middle" you don't have to tie up, just hover and they will close the gate behind you and open the one in front of you. Locking in or out of the Mississippi is a serious lift/drop though.

Thanks all...P&J

Unless you just want to hurry up the Tenn-Tom in April, I would recommend spending some time cruising the "Redneck Riviera" between Mobile and Appalachicola during the spring of 2013. We keep our trawler in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Locals call this part of the state UCLA (UnCivilized Lower Alabama). It's one of the most beautiful cruising grounds in America; friendly people, beautiful beaches, uncrowded anchorages, superb food! And you'd be plenty safe from hurricanes at least through June. Even into July or August, if one threatens, you could easily head up the ditch in plenty of time, assuming you watch the weather carefully. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks Capt K. we're anticipating enjoying the MS/AL & FL coast. Our current plan has us moving the boat from Galveston in Jan to a safe harbor on the Tenn-Tom by late March so we return to TX for our seasonal work. If all goes well in transit we'll overshoot Mobile, explore your area & possibly a bit of FL before backtracking. We'll return to the boat in July & continue N into the TN river system for the summer & head S with the loopers in the fall.

Hey Capt K, it's good to hear from you down in Baldwin County. It's a great place to cruise, fish, or just hang out. Where do you keep you trawler? We kept our Blackfin at Sportsmans Marina in Orange Beach about 10 years. The only thing I didn't like was the storms. The people were great.

Right now, I am watching the storm in the Caribbean hoping it stays away from Ft. Pierce and your area.

Good to have you aboard. Please post us some stories about cruising that area.

Try to plan your trip so you can transit the Mississippi R. and locks on a weekend there are no bridge curfews then so traffic won't get bunched up like during the morning and evening curfews on weekdays
Mardi Gras will fall on Feb 12 in 2013 try NOT to be crossing any time for about a week before that date, parade traffic will disrupt bridge openings and you might get delayed for many hours.
Houma, Louisiana, mile 57 West of Harvey lock, is a good spot to stop. The city dock just off the ICW has water and power for about $25 a night. If you do plan to stop there let me know a couple of days in advance, if I am in town and free I'll take a run by there and see if you need anything.
Watch the weather, monitor ch 13 and comunicate with the many tows you will be meeting along the way, they are usually helpful but do not like surprises.
Any questions PM me if you like.
Steve W.

We plan on making a similar trip leaving Galveston Bay around the end of Feb.
We will take the ICW past Mobile Bay and to Pennsacola for a short side trip. Then back to Mobile Bay and northward ultimately to the northern part of Ky. Lake. We will be touring and visiting friends along the way at a break-neck speed of about 6 kts. The trip will take up several months. Our only concern is geting to north Al./Ms. before hurricane season.

Thanks Steve & Tony.

Tony, we need to meet soon to discuss our move to GAL. Our move has been delayed, probably not moving the boat until Jan 2013 & will have a couple of task to complete until we depart. The roof on all the Manatees we've seen sag & hold or leak water. The roof has to come off to trailer the boat so that's the proper time to fix it, either in AUS or Kemah. Do you know any good glass guys?

Life's too short to own an ugly boat.

Tony...is that a dig at our Manatee?

Tony B..
I'm a delivery captain moving a 40' Trawler from Florida to Kemah. I'm all set getting to Mobile but can you tell me how long it will take to get to Kemah from Mobile? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Jude,
Made the trip up the TennTom many times. You'll be going upstream. During the time that you are talking about, there could be a fair amount of high water flowing toward Mobile. Watch for the Floating logs and other debris. Be sure to learn the Language of the Tugs. Very important. As good as they are, they do not have total control on those big barge setups. A good size wake can send them into the side of the river. There are many locks with very slimmy sides. consider your fenders sacrificial. They are cool though, with the floating bollards. Also, be sure to listen to the radio, they will let you know where they are and take their instructions seriously. Learn the meaning of 1 whistle or 2 whistles. They will call you an RV.. Recreational Vessel. Be sure to stop at Billy's Fish Camp. The best stop off to start the trip up the rivers.

Jude

We haven't finalized our plans yet because my work schedule has been really crazy this year. As of Jan 1, there will be no work schedule.
About the only thing firm in our plans is that we will be leaving Kemah around the beginning of March, depending on weather. DEfinitely stop in Houma, La to meet Steve W aqnd then onward. Where ever we end up at by the beginning of April, we will be stay for about a month - promised the wife the vacation of a life time, anything she wanted. It was in a moment of weakness. Well, she took me up on it.Too late to back down now.
Anyway, around the end of april, we will continue the trip. When we get to Mobile bay, we will side trip to Wolf bayou for some quiet relaxation of anchoring. Then on to Pirates Cove, Alabama for a few days. we will meet a few people from a Houseboat forum I chat with. Then maybe onto Pennsacola and maybe beyond. Then back to Mobile Bay for the trip north. Our main goal is to get to northern Ms/Al. by mid-June but no later than July1. That will get us away from the coast well before hurricane season. Then eventually, we intend to spend the rest of the year on the northern part of Ky. Lake. When 2014 rolls around - we dont have a clue what we will be doing next, but we might be thinking about coming back down to the coast and doing the great loop.
If I can be of any help from the Kemah area in like locating a marina for you or something like that, let me know. PM me and I will give you my cell numbers.
Tony B

PS. I will also be spending about a week in Biloxi to meet with SwampU, drink beer and admire his Biloxi Lugger. Also have relatives and other friends there. I will be retired and wont be in any hurry.

Back
Top Bottom