View Single Post
Old 09-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #20
bowball
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Then, of course, there is the definition of "bluewater." Sounds sort of like the OP considers "bluewater" to be anytime he is out of sight of land. Heck! I've taken a Hobie 14 off the beach and far enough to be out of sight of land!

I think most people equate the term with long passages. Most especially, a passage that is long enough that you spend multiple days between landfalls. For instance, if you go from Virgin Gorda to Anegada, in the BVI, you will be out of sight of land for a period of time. I would not, however, by any means consider that to be a "bluewater" passage.

Others would probably argue that a "real" bluewater passage means crossing an ocean, or at least a sizable sea.

So, in the end, it all depends on the individual, and what they consider "bluewater."
No. I was really thinking of blue water to be crossing the Atlantic or Pacific for weeks at a time. Not just out of sight of land. I don’t know where I would draw the line between just a quick crossing and blue water. Also I was thinking of large waves not a placid voyage. At least in what made me feel uncomfortable.
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote