Advice/ insights sought

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon J

Guru
Vessel Name
Didi Mau
Vessel Make
Currently looking for next boat
We sold our Ocean Alexander 456 in April and are now looking at a replacement for cruising the Med. As I look at boats I bemoan selling our OA. I will especially miss her Trac stabilizers.

So we just got off a Beneteau ST 44. Even though she was 10 years newer than our 0A, if was also half the boat. We are considering three boats, each different, sometimes radically. I understand the props and cons, generally, of the three designs, but I don't have specific experience with the brands and models.

One of the boats, a seafaring 44, comes with gyro stabilizer. How will that compares to my Trac fins? I understand stabilization at rest, but our Trac fins were amazing. Will I find gyro to be their equal?

Anothrt boat is a Rhea 47. Looks to be an analog to perhaps a KK. If doesn't appear to have stsbilizers.

The third choice, the admirals favorite is a Fountaine-pajot 37 foot cat. It also has a lot to like, but it is built out of cold molded tosin-impregnated ply- wood.

Anyway, here are the three boats, from yacht world. We have only seen the cat up close. Thanks in advance for thoughtful responses.

Gordon

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2012/rhea-trawler-47-3050717/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2018/seafaring-44-flybridge-3881412/

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2017/fountaine-pajot-my-37-3725541/

Last edited:
Title should have read insights, not incites

Last edited by a moderator:
Gordon. Your mistake was in selling a perfectly good boat before deciding on the next one.
No one can help you decide which one to get, it is a personal choice. Those that have one of your choices can say that one because they like their boat.
Any of those are nice boats, best wishes on finding one both of you will like.

I don't have any good advice but your old boat appears to be under loving care by the new owner. The new name just went on.

Soo-valley, we were no longer in the US, so keeping the boat didn't appear to be an option. I was looking for insights if anyone knew anything, bad or good about these boats.

GDavid, it's called sellers remorse.

Nothing to offer with these boats directly. One thought would be that a cold molded boat like #3 may appeal to a narrower clientele and may take some time to sell. Maybe not a big deal if you are in the Med long term (lucky you!) but If Europe is a temporary gig that may be a consideration. Or maybe that is a US bias?

For me me, after a few months of having stabilization for the first time, it would be tough to go back.

Last edited:
I was thinking same

Nothing to offer with these boats directly. One thought would be that a cold molded boat like #3 may appeal to a narrower clientele and may take some time to sell. Maybe not a big deal if you are in the Med long term (lucky you!) but If Europe is a temporary gig that may be a consideration. Or maybe that is a US bias?

For me me, after a few months of having stabilization for the first time, it would be tough to go back.

But Fountaine Pajot seems to also sell a lot of these in the US. Everything I have read, it is a proven technology.

Thanks for the feedback.

But Fountaine Pajot seems to also sell a lot of these in the US.

You might browse on cruiserforum.com (sister site) about FP; my sense from a recent thread about cats is that they maybe don't have a great build reputation. My reading there has been very cursory though...

-Chris

Thanks, but...

You might browse on cruiserforum.com (sister site) about FP; my sense from a recent thread about cats is that they maybe don't have a great build reputation. My reading there has been very cursory though...

-Chris

Chris the link you attached takes me to a Chrysler PT Cruiser forum:lol:

Thanks. Got it.

Art, thanks. I like it a lot, except the no AC and no stsbilizer. I have never heard of Rhea yachts and was looking for insights.

For this size boat, I am guessing that 15 knots would only happen on the downside of a really big wave

Found this online for a similar boat:
Engine, electrics, tanks : 2 X 300cv D4 Volvo (1300 hrs) - Generator - Top speed about 14 kts, cruising 8,5 @ 2000 rpm (consumption 24 liters, total for both engines) - Fuel 3000 L - Water: 800 L -

Back
Top Bottom