Next boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Hippocampus
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 42
Have finalized the purchase of a Nordic Tug 42 (née Shining Star to be Hippocampus). She has Espar heat plus AC, WM, Riigid ding, Freedom lift, solar, Seakeeper and the usual goodies this model comes with.
A 180 turn from the last boat so a new learning curve and totally new way to boat for us. Hopefully this is our best day and having my estate sell her will be the worst. My second “last boat “ so who can say. Ours as of 4oct and then south we head.

Should be a good, flexible package for coastal work. I wish for proper fuel fired heat on my boat for cold weather use (vs non-stop generator run to power the reverse cycle A/Cs when away from the dock). Being able to keep warm definitely adds flexibility to cruising (and particularly staying up north long enough to dodge hurricanes). And I wouldn't complain about stabilizers either.

Thanks rs for the kind wishes. That was our thinking as well so appreciate the confirmation.

You now need to change your profile vessel name from “boatless at present!”

Congrats

Kewl! Will look forward to hearing about the performance of the SeaKeeper.

Wifey B: I think and hope you'll be very happy with it. Hope all works out and want to hear on Oct 4 what you're up to. :)

Congrats, Hippo. Sounds like a great boat and will give you lots of terrific cruising options.

You may miss the long open-water passages, but I think you will find coastal cruising is a wonderful world of its own. You can get almost anywhere by hopping along the coast and there can be some great discoveries along the way.

Congrats on the new boat. What made you pick this over the Nordhavn 40?

John

Congrats Hippo! Photos??

Congrats! That’s a lot of boat. Best of luck on your trip south.

We decided on a N43, 47 or 50 over the 40 for several reasons. Biggest being the occasional cruising with another couple and sleeping/living spaces on passage with a true helm seat. Then every cruising buddy I know said “it ain’t a sailboat - don’t think about it as a sailboat “. Unless you sell the house and go much bigger you won’t be happy on passage. Get over yourself if coastal a SD makes more sense”. I’m slow to learn but eventually got there.

I went through complete written review and photos of similar... Nice Boat!

Nice chunk of vessel, for sure. Good looking too. Sans the fly bridge I assume. Jealous. Sincere congrats.

"She has Espar heat"

If you can a tank with kerosene fuel will make operation more sure.
The hassle is starting , so since the kerosene lights cleaner and faster its worth the effort.

A spare nozzle or two l and related parts is a good onboard spare.

Does yours still have a glow plug for ignition?

Congrats on the new boat.

Nope has the flybridge with full electronics and controls up there. Wife wanted a flybridge. It was on her must have list. She much prefers to be outside when we are rest. Nice sitting area up there. I wanted it for docking. Looking at cameras (it has them) is fine but think seeing all the edges of the boat with just a turn of your head is better. I also think looking down is better when wanting to miss coral heads or debris in the water. Easier to see stuff.

Hydronic diesel heat. Problems I’ve had in the past has been either air or nozzles. But once appropriately bled air is no longer an issue. Nozzles last much longer with a plug or oily rag in the exhaust (and a big bright “do not start until removing plug”). Think most problems come from moist or salty air getting in through the exhaust piping when not in use.

Last edited:
Hippocampus;1040701]Nope has the flybridge with full electronics and controls up there. Wife wanted a flybridge. It was on her must have list. She much prefers to be outside when we are rest. Nice sitting area up there. I wanted it for docking. Looking at cameras (it has them) is fine but think seeing all the edges of the boat with just a turn of your head is better. I also think looking down is better when wanting to miss coral heads or debris in the water. Easier to see stuff.

Yes, Yes and Yes!!

Good call on the flybridge. That is a must-have in the Bahamas or Caribe, IMO. So much easier to see down into the water. Its a bonus for docking, also, but makes a world of difference when there are coral heads to dodge.

Good call on the flybridge. That is a must-have in the Bahamas or Caribe, IMO. So much easier to see down into the water. Its a bonus for docking, also, but makes a world of difference when there are coral heads to dodge.

Wifey B: Also a big plus for canals. Just being a few feet up makes all the difference in the view. :)

The boat has gotten little use in the past two years. I'm a few slips and one dock away. It looks REALLY nice! Congrats!!

Enjoy the new NT! We are having a great time with our 2008 42!

Last edited:
Flybridge helm would be too far away from dock-level to readily dock during less than ideal conditions, at least for me.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 14
Back
Top Bottom